Air 2s Firmware V 02.04.2080 Do Not Install/Upgrade YET
3894 27 2021-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101870 ft
Ireland

I am a newbie and please bear with me....and my advice is DO NOT UPGRADE the latest version of Air2s Firmware yet, it is 'unstable' and here's my experience!
Whilst I'm new I guess i made the silly mistake of not actually reading your posts here before purchase, (If I did I may not have purchased and or installed each and every upgrade )
What I did was I watched countless days of videos and read online magazine and tech reviews over the past few months!

I purchased my DJI Air 2s Combo unit the one which includes the Smart Controller (only 1 month ago). I was looking for the option to rule out issues with my phone and also looking for definite daylight viewable, hence my choosing the slightly dearer option of the Smart Controller.

Was happy with it including the smart controller until recently.

After installing the latest Air2s Firmware Ver. 02.04.2080 my smart controller couldn't even 'see' my drone. After seven power down and restarts eventually my smart controller found my Air2s and I made 2 more attempts before pairing.

Since then each and every time I switch on the units I HAVE to pair the drone with my controller (serious pain in the ass) but if thats all it was its liveable with !!

However, the real issue is the live video feedback with SERIOUS lags. in normal mode and drone travelling (at approx half full speed) 11m/s my drone will travel up to and approx. 20 METERS (SIXTY SIX FEET) before the live feed video will catch up.
I have contacted DJI customer support and asked to roll back to the previous safe and stable version.
But you Can't do it anymore!!!!

Because....

Within the DJI Assistant the latest version of firmware for the Air2s 02.04.2080 upgrade has removed all previous versions and I cannot roll back myself ??
Also Within the DJI Assistant the latest version of firmware for the smart controller has only the latest version 01.01.0064 and no previous versions and or the option to roll back!

DJI has now removed the possibility for us mere mortals to roll back to a safe and stable version that we were happy with.

This is a serious, serious dissapointment because if and when they release an update and like this one in my case also has serious glitches we have no option but to WAIT for another release and how long is that???

As i am only a newbie and am still learning everything there maybe other glitches with the firmware that i am unaware of.

To be honest I have lost confidence with my drone as whilst flying now over trees and in my normal area the screen freezes and the after a few seconds it jumps to where the drone actually is TWENTY METERS away!!!!!

2021-10-22
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am on the same firmware and using an Air2S. I'm not seeing these issues. FYI.
2021-10-22
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 10-22 13:32
I am on the same firmware and using an Air2S. I'm not seeing these issues. FYI.

Are you using the smart controller or a controller with your phone?
2021-10-22
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same as arizona mavic flyer...I am using the SC (Smart Controller) with the Air2S and both at latest firmware and software and is stable! Actually is better than ever after testing with 3 batteries
2021-10-22
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eoin 2021 Posted at 10-22 16:35
Are you using the smart controller or a controller with your phone?

Smart Controller
2021-10-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eoin, I am also using the Smart Controller and Air2S latest 2080.  I do not have the issue you are referring to.  Either you have some localized signalinterference or something is going seriously wrong.  Since it is the video transmission you are seeing that is delayed, my guess is your smart controller is the issue.  Do you have third party apps running on it?  When I first got my SC, I overloaded it. Since then, I reset it and cleaned it up.  It's not a powerful android device.  Hope you get it sorted out.
2021-10-22
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Many thanks for the replies everyone, its reassuring to see it maybe an isolated issue.

Extremely unsettling mind you to not see instantly where the drone is instantaneously whilst flying.

And nope no other Apps downloaded and or running either, thanks for that suggestion too.

I've contacted DJI support twice...was disgusted by the first support chaps help which again didn't instill confidence he was so unhelpful I even asked for a refund!!

But the 2nd chap was more professional, took my drone serial number and promised DJI technical support will email me within 48 hours with a solution.

I'll keep ye posted...
2021-10-22
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Oh and regarding signal interference causing it...

My normal flight areas are seascapes, cliffs, light houses and general line of sight. Because my control signal max distance get broken from 800m to 1,300m.

I nearly lost my life losing RC first time at 1,200m and only bought it the previous day....I know you guys are used to the experience but dam its unsettling to experience it for the first time with a new drone
2021-10-23
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

I have mine updated to 02.04.2080 and the DJI Fly app updated to v1.4.12 (1430-official). Everything is working flawlessly. Zero issues.
2021-10-24
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Eoin 2021 Posted at 10-23 00:00
Oh and regarding signal interference causing it...

My normal flight areas are seascapes, cliffs, light houses and general line of sight. Because my control signal max distance get broken from 800m to 1,300m.

Was a bug in Smart Controller that I believe it remained :
Each time you pair your drone, when you start the drone and the SC, need to force SC to shutdown and restart with the drone ON...If not, you get a lag each 10 seconds...
This was my observation when it was added support for Mini2 in SC...and not all was behaving like this, who knows why....I don't know.
This workaround is only for when you re-pair your drone, not for each power-on....But you say that you keep pairing your drone, so it can help you.

So try this one:
1. Pair your drone with SC
2. Leave the paired drone ON, just restart SC.
3. Restart Fly App on SC.
For me this was helpful in not getting video lags.
(I have returned the SC after a few months as was not working in Custom Mode sticks not after 6 months after we complained to DJI, so in my country this was considered as "not compliant" and the dealer refunded in full the SC value)
Cheers.
2021-10-25
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289446 ft
United States

working excellent here on Iphone range seems to be better then normal, smoothest it's been in a long time. Video is clear and nice quality with no lag phone is not hot and display is bright full flight.
2021-10-25
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Serious disappointment from customer support two full weeks and still nothing has been done despite my contacting them today for the 5th time. I was promised a reply from tech support within 48 hrs and after a week and no reply I contacted them again !!

I'm Curious here guys.... those of you have replied here are ye operating within the FCC areas or like me in CE in Europe? I'm not an IT guy so I don't know if tis the Smart Controller or Drone.

I have read that live screen recording on the smart controller can cause lag issues with some operators. But I don't use that feature however i did record the awful lags by phone during flight and uploaded that to the tech support team.

Pity really as I was extremely happy with my new purchase up to the 2080 Firmware update.  
2021-11-3
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

JayOhio Posted at 10-25 11:57
working excellent here on Iphone range seems to be better then normal, smoothest it's been in a long time. Video is clear and nice quality with no lag phone is not hot and display is bright full flight.

Glad to hear you Iphone works the issue is with the smart controller
2021-11-9
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 10-25 05:09
Was a bug in Smart Controller that I believe it remained :
Each time you pair your drone, when you start the drone and the SC, need to force SC to shutdown and restart with the drone ON...If not, you get a lag each 10 seconds...
This was my observation when it was added support for Mini2 in SC...and not all was behaving like this, who knows why....I don't know.

Many thanks for the advice and reply GeoDrone4K, your explanation makes perfect sense and I tried it and sure enough when I restarted the SC it kept pairing synchronisation. All good but the lags remain.

But the following day when switching on both the Air2s and SC the SC didn't pair again and back to the usual of having to pair the drone with the SC.
2021-11-9
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Pity no one from DJI responded here as they seem to in other threads and posts. Must admit being very, very disappointed with their pathetic and dismal response time.
and as I'm a newbie I'm not even sure if I've posted this initially in the correct thread either.

I got an email reply finally from DJI now this evening and you'll find it hard to believe their advice but, their engineers suggested and I quote ...

" if there is wind in the environment, the aircraft flying against wind may cause this. In the situation, it is recommended to confirm whether there is wind in the environment."

Honestly guys that is probably the most stupidest " qualified engineer's" report I have ever heard to solve video lags.

They also give me advice on how to pair the drone (as if I didn't already know).

But more importantly NO solution to fix video lags and or no reason given for the reason my drone won't stay paired since the firmware update.

I uploaded two videos to DJI customer support, that I took with my phone recording the SC during flight of the 2 seconds continuous video lags as evidence .... and that the best they can do.... Blame the wind....!!!

Must admit guys I'm fuming here I've asked for or I should say I've demanded a full refund, as it's not two months old and I've had issues for the past three weeks.

Seriously, seriously disappointed
2021-11-9
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Eoin 2021 Posted at 11-9 14:09
Pity no one from DJI responded here as they seem to in other threads and posts. Must admit being very, very disappointed with their pathetic and dismal response time.
and as I'm a newbie I'm not even sure if I've posted this initially in the correct thread either.

They will not give a crap on your problem, the old SC is obsolete and they need to sell the new SC, as they can win a lot of money on it...same tech, minor changes but increased price with 30%...Would you not do the same?
So...If you can, go to dealer, ask a diagnostic, ask for warranty and if not, full refund.
I am from Europe, but this lag was in all areas, including USA, so FCC and CE did nothing to do...
Also one Youtuber showed that the remote tested by him had a hardware problem and DJI change it, new one having less lag (existed also, but under 1 second, acceptable from his p.o.v.)
2021-11-10
Use props
Wavicle
lvl.3
United States

I have the same Air 2S & Smart Controller combo purchased early September 2021. System worked great out of the box. Then, after the October 2021 Air 2S and Smart Controller firmware updates the SC no longer caches video or photos. I've tried everything and it will not work. This was a serious failure by DJI.

I have no idea how issues like mine can be hit or miss with other's flying the same set up other than DJI uses alternate parts in their circuit card assemblies and they don't properly test them all before pushing out a firmware update.

DJI failed on this and like other have posted here- they don't care because they have moved on to a new pro smart controller.
2021-11-10
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

The issues you're experiencing are related mostly to the DJI Fly app, the latest versions are not stable and safe.
Downgrade to 1.4.4 if you're on Android.
A simple google search will give you an APK, make sure to only download from trusted sources though!

Fly safe!
2021-11-10
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 11-10 00:15
They will not give a crap on your problem, the old SC is obsolete and they need to sell the new SC, as they can win a lot of money on it...same tech, minor changes but increased price with 30%...Would you not do the same?
So...If you can, go to dealer, ask a diagnostic, ask for warranty and if not, full refund.
I am from Europe, but this lag was in all areas, including USA, so FCC and CE did nothing to do...

Hi there again, interesting scenario upgrading to the new SC Ver2. I didn't know there was a new version released until you replied!

Does the new SC operate OC3.0  like the Air2s transmission or the older OC2.0?

2021-11-11
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Wavicle Posted at 11-10 04:38
I have the same Air 2S & Smart Controller combo purchased early September 2021. System worked great out of the box. Then, after the October 2021 Air 2S and Smart Controller firmware updates the SC no longer caches video or photos. I've tried everything and it will not work. This was a serious failure by DJI.

I have no idea how issues like mine can be hit or miss with other's flying the same set up other than DJI uses alternate parts in their circuit card assemblies and they don't properly test them all before pushing out a firmware update.

Yeah I hear you I was pretty darn happy with my Air2s out of the box too.

Only issue I had initially was dropped frame 4K playback and my supplier wasn't aware that the Scandisk Extreme Pro (which he sold me separate to my combo bundle ) caused jumpy recordings ( some internal conflict after researching ) and after three separate Micro SD card changes and ordering online from here DJI Website Shop the Scandisk Extreme Micro SD  card that produces flawless superior 4K resolution playback.

But yeah I commiserate with you Wavicle, after the October Air2s Firmware update ...... BOOM..... problems since !!
2021-11-11
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Yaros1 Posted at 11-10 05:08
The issues you're experiencing are related mostly to the DJI Fly app, the latest versions are not stable and safe.
Downgrade to 1.4.4 if you're on Android.
A simple google search will give you an APK, make sure to only download from trusted sources though!

The problem is I can't roll back any firmware and or drivers from either the the SC or the Air2s Drone.

Would you believe that this option has also been removed within the updated Firmware and SC Fly app.

And as you are aware Yaros 1,  but for those reading this thread who may not be aware yet...

With the latest updates DJI has REMOVED the rollback option within the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) software. After the updates when you connect either the SC or Drone to the Assistant 2 software the ONLY option available to us mere mortals is to "Refresh" the unstable Firmware.
2021-11-11
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

I have also tried to do a factory reset on my SC and whether it's localised to my SC or this is the new norm for everyone. But you can't do a proper factory reset because after the SC rebooted all my settings remained the same, (apart from I had to re-enter my Wifi password), But all the latest updates remained installed and not reset to factory state. Including all my own settings of my email address was still listed,
my wifi , and within the Fly App all my previously entered camera and Fly app settings were ALL THE SAME ???

I'm not an I.T. guru but can follow most explanations and or YouTube descriptions on software. BUT in my humble opinion a factory reset is just that, isn't it guys, a complete wipe of data entered/inputted into a device since it was bought and supposed to return a device to its pre-purchased state??

So I guess DJI have also created another issue over here in Europe where Data Protection issues are pretty high on a lot of government topics.
2021-11-11
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Oh and I now have a new error in the top right corner of the screen in RED "BKWD unavailable Vision Sensors"
2021-11-11
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Don't bother....Send it back for replacement...As long as you try to service a new acquisition, you waste your precious time for nothing...Send back and ask for replacement or refund...
2021-11-11
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 11-10 00:15
They will not give a crap on your problem, the old SC is obsolete and they need to sell the new SC, as they can win a lot of money on it...same tech, minor changes but increased price with 30%...Would you not do the same?

Regarding the SC Ver 2.0 it has OC 2.0 Only I found out today from DJI Customer Support

and a price tag of somewhere around $900 I saw on a vendors website.... will be interesting to see how well it fairs with the  new Mavic 3 with a price tag of $3K time will tell.
2021-11-11
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

small update:

Was onto DJI Online Tech Support within this platform again earlier this morning and basically gave out to them about the ludicrous suggestion (after three weeks of problems) from their stupid engineers blaming the "wind" for video lags.
I Pretty much demanded a full refund or complete replacement, chap in Tech Support apologised again and said that he was raising a request with the Engineers if they would sanction a replacement or refund.
And later This evening I receive an email from them asking for me to submit proof of purchase and my personal details.

Is this their normal process when setting up a replacement or refund?
2021-11-11
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Eoin 2021 Posted at 11-11 13:55
small update:

Was onto DJI Online Tech Support within this platform again earlier this morning and basically gave out to them about the ludicrous suggestion (after three weeks of problems) from their stupid engineers blaming the "wind" for video lags.

Yes, that is. Depending on the purchase, you can have free shipping for service or refund, but this is up to the conditions and criteria from your provider and your country.
Here they must pay also for shipping if the reason is related to a warranty request.
2021-11-12
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Small Update;

received an email and In fairness DJI customer support apologised for the length of time I have had to wait for their engineers to act.  Informed me from my videos submitted to them they think my SC has a transmission problem. They sent a pre-paid label and I have sent the SC off to DJI Germany for analysis and repair or replacement at no cost to me.

Also guys in fairness to them someone from Customer Support has authorised and also offered me a €60 coupon as a sign of an apology, off any of any of their products on their online shop which I placed this evening for an ND filter set.

So while this has gone on for over 5 weeks and been extremely frustrating with lack of replies, I guess I can't fault them for at least trying to make amends.

I use this as a hobby and love it, but I genuinely pity anyone using DJI Drones and working as a professional videographer and or photographer and relying on swift online responses from DJI Engineers.....
2021-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules