Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Smart Controller Compass will not calibrate
2123 20 2021-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eEridani
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7006224 ft

United States

DJI Smart Controller

Compass once worked, but after attempts to update to 1.4.12-1420 and 1430, the compass will no longer calibrate properly.

The calibration results in the controller icon arrow being off by about 90 degrees when pointing at the drone. The drone compass calibrates normally and points north correctly. The controller points 90 degress off north. Here are two images of the compass error, and how it affects DJI Fly Find my drone and flying my DJI Mavic Air 2.

The blue dot on both displays points the wrong way. The Smart Controller compass has been "calibrated" about six or seven times. It has been calibrated in the exact spot the drone compass was calibrated. In the middle of the back yard, in the middle of the street, and several other places.

Screenshot_20211023-130820.png CompassError.jpg Screenshot_20211022-105704.png

The calibration procedure seems broken - if I rotate the controller slowly, the cal times out and fails. If I rock the SC rapidly, the cal finishes in a half second and doesn't point correctly.
2021-10-24
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-25 02:01
Hi, there. We regret the trouble you’ve been inflicted, we'll try our best to help you. Could you tell me the model of phone you're using now? Please try to change your mobile device and change the environment several times to check if this problem still occurs. Looking forward to your reply.

Here's the model of phone I have: I have changed the environment many times with no changes in compass errors.
2021-10-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Sorry for the misleading reply. I’ve transferred your problem to the appropriate engineer, will look into it and give you an update soon. Sorry again for the unpleasant experience caused.
2021-10-26
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

This isn't a compass calibration issue.  The Fly App on the smart controller has been 90 degrees off for at least a year.  There are tons of posts and complaints about it in this very forum.  DJI continues to do nothing about it.   If you install other compass apps, you'll see the compass is working perfectly.  It's the fly app on the smart controller.  Broken.
2021-10-27
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

JEZ2 Posted at 10-27 07:17
This isn't a compass calibration issue.  The Fly App on the smart controller has been 90 degrees off for at least a year.  There are tons of posts and complaints about it in this very forum.  DJI continues to do nothing about it.   If you install other compass apps, you'll see the compass is working perfectly.  It's the fly app on the smart controller.  Broken.

Except that last month it was working fine, and not off (using 1.4.8.xxxx) - unfortunately I never looked at those last four numbers to know which version I was using.
Another point is that the compass calibration procedure fails when I try to do the cal slowly per the image it shows - the cal works only if I rapidly title the controller around, and it finished just tilting the controller to the left. So pretty sure the controller is also having fits.
2021-10-27
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

WooHoo -

DJI just informed my that they can't find the log they are looking for on my drone, therefore they are denying me warranty coverage.  The Smart Controller compass isn't logged on the drone. Plus, if the log is gone, it is because a DJI tech support person had me do a FACTORY RESET of the Smart Controller - which formatted the SD card I had set to be primary storage.

Oh well - at least it is only a $1,300 waste - could be worse.
2021-10-27
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

eEridani Posted at 10-27 09:56
Except that last month it was working fine, and not off (using 1.4.8.xxxx) - unfortunately I never looked at those last four numbers to know which version I was using.
Another point is that the compass calibration procedure fails when I try to do the cal slowly per the image it shows - the cal works only if I rapidly title the controller around, and it finished just tilting the controller to the left. So pretty sure the controller is also having fits.

Thanks for the note, I never got it to work, but I'll update to one of the latest and see if I can, so I'll stand corrected on my previous post.

Sorry if you are actually having compass/controller issues.  Don't give up on DJI warranty yet, some of their tech support is pretty bad, but somewhere there is someone there that knows the SC data won't be on the drone, hopefully the support here can escalate you to the right place.
2021-10-28
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

I've used telephone, chat, and this forum. A waste of time, especially on something I feel is as serious as the SC compass being off 70 to 90 degrees.

All the tech support agents have agreed that they can't diagnose without a log; okay - fair enough - but what happens when the defect is the 1.4.12.1430 app isn't saving a log anywhere you can locate it? Yep, on the SC,1.4.12.1430 hides the FlightRecord folder. Worse, even though the CHAT agent said they DID have my logs (I autosync) and they could move forward, the next person said they couldn't find the logs and needed the drone to read the .DAT logs and if they couldn't find the log I'd be charged for the attempt. Of course, they never asked for me to find the logs on the drone and email said "missing" logs.

I'm at that point where selling the kit to an unsuspecting fan of DJI is looking like a good alternative.

ps: Reverting to 1.4.8.1185 found the files after a reboot. Reinstalling 1.4.12 lost the files. And reverting to 1.4.8 found them again. But the SC compass error was not corrected by reverting. Along the way I upgraded the drone firmware - but I can't see how that'd corrupt the Smart Controller.
2021-10-28
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

After providing all of my logs, DJI is now saying they can't determine what I am complaining about with the information I have provided.  So now they are requesting I send my drone back to them.

I don't mind sending the drone in for service; but I am reluctant to when they won't admit they observe the obvious defect I am complaining about in the screenshots I have also provided to them.

So if I do return the drone and controller, quite sure what I'll get back is a refurbished drone with no improvements, and a fair chance of getting a broken drone in place of my more or less functioning drone.
2021-11-3
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

Smart Controller Compass Errors

Antennas pointed north:

Compass app is portrait mode only - N is pointed left.
Antennas pointed east:

Antennas pointed north:

2021-11-4
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

DJI needs to improve its English translation skills or use Google translate. I just received this note:
Dear Customer,
Your DJI Smart Controller has been evaluated by our repair team. Your case No. is: CAS-xxxx
Please visit our Repair Progress Inquiry website or use the DJI GO App to view the repair progress. We will email you an invoice in two to three business days.

Yet when I go to the the website there is no status, just says evaluation is in progress.

The funnest part is the controller is just a few months old, purchased in June - not sure that anything I did or could have done damaged the compass. lol. Well, I did let it update the SC firmware and DJI Fly app, then the compass went south, so yeah - guess that was my fault.

So an $800 item with ZERO warranty - ask me if I will ever buy or recommend a DJI product - probably not. Will I tell everyone that asks, or even hints they'd like to know about my experience? That would be a BIG yes.

Selling this Air 2 kit as soon as the SC is back in my hands.

2021-11-15
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

Smart controller was replaced by DJI. New controller has exact same problem.
2022-3-8
Use props
fansaa1554f8
lvl.4
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 2021-10-27 07:17
This isn't a compass calibration issue.  The Fly App on the smart controller has been 90 degrees off for at least a year.  There are tons of posts and complaints about it in this very forum.  DJI continues to do nothing about it.   If you install other compass apps, you'll see the compass is working perfectly.  It's the fly app on the smart controller.  Broken.

I agree.  If you turn on your smart controller and run the dji 4 app, go to camera view and look at the maps in the 4 app, you will see that the compass and orientation of the maps and the controller are correct.  Get out and run the fly app and the map orientation is off 90 degrees,  This has been this way for a year or more,  I have had two smart controllers and they both were exactly the same the maps orientation off 90 degree.  Call Dji and they want you to send controller in,  This is absolutely ridiculous,  I happen to use the maps for orientation flying here in the mountains.  I am extremely disappointed that this has went on for over a year now,  every update I expect to see it fixed.   These controllers cost a lot of money,  And this is an important function in the controller for some.  Or it wouldn't be in there why on Earth has this been overlooked ,  Anyone got a fix for this.  Come on Dji this is unacceptable fix this problem now.  the problem is in the fly app,  Why has Dji overlooked this.  I am going to keep on this until I see some results.  I fly two aircraft with the smart controller.  This affects them both of course.  I would like to buy a mini 3 but I will not spend another dime with Dji until they fix this simple problem.  This affects everyone that wants to use the map function people stumbling around trying to find out why it doesn't work correctly.  Wasting everyone's valuable time.  Dji you know of this problem  fix it.
2022-5-17
Use props
fansaa1554f8
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2021-10-26 03:32
Hi, there. Sorry for the misleading reply. I’ve transferred your problem to the appropriate engineer, will look into it and give you an update soon. Sorry again for the unpleasant experience caused.

View full quote
I agree.  If you turn on your smart controller and run the dji 4 app, go to camera view and look at the maps in the 4 app, you will see that the compass and orientation of the maps and the controller are correct.  Get out and run the fly app and the map orientation is off 90 degrees,  This has been this way for a year or more,  I have had two smart controllers and they both were exactly the same the maps orientation off 90 degree.  Call Dji and they want you to send controller in,  This is absolutely ridiculous,  I happen to use the maps for orientation flying here in the mountains.  I am extremely disappointed that this has went on for over a year now,  every update I expect to see it fixed.   These controllers cost a lot of money,  And this is an important function in the controller for some.  Or it wouldn't be in there why on Earth has this been overlooked ,  Anyone got a fix for this.  Come on Dji this is unacceptable fix this problem now.  the problem is in the fly app,  Why has Dji overlooked this.  I am going to keep on this until I see some results.  I fly two aircraft with the smart controller.  This affects them both of course.  I would like to buy a mini 3 but I will not spend another dime with Dji until they fix this simple problem.  This affects everyone that wants to use the map function people stumbling around trying to find out why it doesn't work correctly.  Wasting everyone's valuable time.  Dji you know of this problem  fix it.
2022-5-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow, i use this feature a lot and i was about to get the Air 2s with the Smart Controller package, so glad i didn't now, a shame as it will work with my MM2 and P4P, so glad i decided to check 1st...
2022-5-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fansaa1554f8 Posted at 5-17 12:53
    This isn't a compass calibration issue.  The Fly App on the smart controller has been 90 degrees off for at least a year.  There are tons of posts and complaints about it in this very forum.  DJI continues to do nothing about it.   If you install other compass apps, you'll see the compass is working perfectly.  It's the fly app on the smart controller.  Broken.

Be glad only compass is off; instead of display as it was with CrystalSky.
2022-5-24
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

Bashy Posted at 5-24 19:33
Wow, i use this feature a lot and i was about to get the Air 2s with the Smart Controller package, so glad i didn't now, a shame as it will work with my MM2 and P4P, so glad i decided to check 1st...

As far as I know, the issue is only with the v1 Smart Controller - the RC Pro (Smart Controller v2) included with the Air2S kit, is probably okay.
2022-5-24
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

fansaa1554f8 Posted at 5-17 12:53

I disagree ... the SC compass fails to calibrate normally (takes extreme gyro motions to finish a cal) -- and compass apps I've tried also fail to point north correctly.

I suspect we are seeing a combination of failures in the Smart Controller. Some buggy software, some actual hardware failures. As I have posted before, this compass used to work correctly in DJI Fly ... but at some point - maybe after some update - the compass started acting up.
2022-5-24
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what i have just seen, the indicator can point off at say 45º but the green alignment indicator still shows when its correctly aligned even though the indicator is pointing else where, so that's something at least, so i suspect its not broken hardware, its just a c0ck up in the software
2022-5-24
Use props
fansaa1554f8
lvl.4
United States

The issue was with the fly app. Dji has corrected this with the last fly app update.  The compass and maps work absolutely perfect for me so far. the update to the program enhances the function considerably,  besides correcting the compass and maps being off 90 degrees.  Great job on this one,  would have preferred not to wait for so long to correct,  but pleased with the results now, Good Job.
2022-9-17
Use props
eEridani
lvl.3

United States

fansaa1554f8 Posted at 9-17 11:05
The issue was with the fly app. Dji has corrected this with the last fly app update.  The compass and maps work absolutely perfect for me so far. the update to the program enhances the function considerably,  besides correcting the compass and maps being off 90 degrees.  Great job on this one,  would have preferred not to wait for so long to correct,  but pleased with the results now, Good Job.

What specific version is working for you? And I assume you are using the v1 smart controller.
ps: I downloaded and installed the latest 1.7.4 and yes, it does seem to be working. Haven't flown it yet, but on the ground the map and compass pointers appeared to be correct again.

pps: DO NOT LOAD 1.7.4. It crashed twice on the initial test flight.  Recovered okay - but having the app crash was unsettling.  Updated to 1.7.5 (came in this morning while I was test flying).  It worked well enough, but I am not happy nor comfortable.
2022-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules