Battery swelling - How much is too much?
18399 33 2021-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

All three of my batteries have a slight bit of swelling, this has been like this for the past couple of months and though I've kept a close eye and always pay attention to the charge/discharge cycles, it's still there. Did you notice anything similar? How much swelling should be considered too much or dangerous?

IMG_20211026_170639_edit_41977174114426.jpg
2021-10-26
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

It's not always the charging cycle. Let the batteries cool down to room temperature before re-charging/storing and also the drone body before swapping a fresh one into the drone.
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

dreamtuner Posted at 10-26 07:56
It's not always the charging cycle. Let the batteries cool down to room temperature before re-charging/storing and also the drone body before swapping a fresh one into the drone.

Yes, done that every single time.
2021-10-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do they swell during flying or just charging.  If it’s flying it might be time to change them as they can pop out as they swell causing a crash.
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 10-26 09:45
Do they swell during flying or just charging.  If it’s flying it might be time to change them as they can pop out as they swell causing a crash.

TBH from what I observed there's no change whether I'm flying or charging them, there's just this tiny swelling.
2021-10-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hrodnand Posted at 10-26 09:52
TBH from what I observed there's no change whether I'm flying or charging them, there's just this tiny swelling.

Once they start swelling it applies pressure on the clips that hold them in and they can pop out causing sudden loss of power.   It seems normal for slight swelling on these during charging but I’d keep an eye on it personally as too many fatal accidents have happened from swelling batteries.  Some like to add a Velcro strap to hold them down.
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 10-26 09:57
Once they start swelling it applies pressure on the clips that hold them in and they can pop out causing sudden loss of power.   It seems normal for slight swelling on these during charging but I’d keep an eye on it personally as too many fatal accidents have happened from swelling batteries.  Some like to add a Velcro strap to hold them down.

Thanks, will keep and eye on that!
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

How old are the batteries and how many charges do the have?
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

kyalami Posted at 10-26 10:05
How old are the batteries and how many charges do the have?

I have them since April and had around 20 charge cycles.
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hrodnand Posted at 10-26 10:09
I have them since April and had around 20 charge cycles.

That is not a long time at all and also very few charges. I am surprised about so new batteries swell, as this was a problem with batteries being manufactured before 2020 or there about.

Try putting the serial number in here to see when they were actually manufactured. Today there does not seam any problems with batterie swelling.

http://tools.retroroms.info/
Also are they still swollen even if you do not use them for a few days?
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

kyalami Posted at 10-26 10:19
That is not a long time at all and also very few charges. I am surprised about so new batteries swell, as this was a problem with batteries being manufactured before 2020 or there about.

Try putting the serial number in here to see when they were actually manufactured. Today there does not seam any problems with batterie swelling.

Tried for all 3 and says something like "Model: Unknown, build on: 14. January 2022". The dates change but the year is still 2022 which is weird.

They keep being swollen all the time as seen on the photo I posted above, regardless if I fly or charge them.
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hrodnand Posted at 10-26 10:29
Tried for all 3 and says something like "Model: Unknown, build on: 14. January 2022". The dates change but the year is still 2022 which is weird.

Yes that I have not seen before. I mean its still 2021 now, so something must be wrong with that system.

Are they still swollen even if you do not use them for a few days.

Depending on where you bought them ,you may have a warranty on them. Some countries have 6 month and here in Sweden we have 12 month by law.
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Just tried one of my batteries and it said Model: Unknown, build on: 24. June 2020, which is about right. Are you sure you put in the right digits, like 0 for zero and not O
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

kyalami Posted at 10-26 10:41
Just tried one of my batteries and it said Model: Unknown, build on: 24. June 2020, which is about right. Are you sure you put in the right digits, like 0 for zero and not O

Yes, I scanned the QR code above the serial number and then copied it. Perhaps it only works for older models, before 2021?
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hrodnand Posted at 10-26 10:47
Yes, I scanned the QR code above the serial number and then copied it. Perhaps it only works for older models, before 2021?

Does the swelling go down if you do not use them for a few days, or are they always swollen.
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

kyalami Posted at 10-26 10:52
Does the swelling go down if you do not use them for a few days, or are they always swollen.

They keep being swollen all the time as seen on the photo above, regardless if I fly, charge or just keep them in the Li-Po bag for a week.
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hrodnand Posted at 10-26 10:54
They keep being swollen all the time as seen on the photo above, regardless if I fly, charge or just keep them in the Li-Po bag for a week.

As the batteries are only about 6-7 months I would talk directly to DJI about this and see what they say.

As DAFlys says, be carefully using them when flying. If you have difficulties fitting them, the pressure may make the clips stop holding them and they may pop out.

Perhaps someone else here has some other ideas to help you out or someone from DJI chips in.
2021-10-26
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Just a last thing. Try putting in the seral number of the battery from your key board. Some time copying from clip board may not work. Just a thought.
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

kyalami Posted at 10-26 11:01
As the batteries are only about 6-7 months I would talk directly to DJI about this and see what they say.

As DAFlys says, be carefully using them when flying. If you have difficulties fitting them, the pressure may make the clips stop holding them and they may pop out.

Thanks, will monitor them more closely!
2021-10-26
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you used AirData.com to check the health of the battery cells and data? I'm wondering if any of the cells are not working properly in each of the batteries.
2021-10-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I would look into returning them for warranty replacement if you can, and would immediately discharge the batteries for safety purposes -- these things are known to explode and cause intense fires.  

Any swelling at all indicates a potential problem that can range from the loss of your aircraft to burning down your house.

2021-10-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Hrodnand. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and for sharing these information with us. Battery swelling / bloating is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. In addition, every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Thank you.
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

RobZilla Posted at 10-26 11:34
Have you used AirData.com to check the health of the battery cells and data? I'm wondering if any of the cells are not working properly in each of the batteries.

Thanks, will look into that later!
2021-10-26
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Ex Machina Posted at 10-26 15:31
I would look into returning them for warranty replacement if you can, and would immediately discharge the batteries for safety purposes -- these things are known to explode and cause intense fires.  

Any swelling at all indicates a potential problem that can range from the loss of your aircraft to burning down your house.

I always store them in Li-Po bags to avoid any accidents.

I will monitor the swelling though, if there's any change. It really isn't noticeable unless you place something straight on it, and has been like this for months.
2021-10-26
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

I have about 220 cycles on my 3 Air2S batteries and still quite flat, they are about 78-80% according to Airdata and still no voltage deviations.

If they swell a lot they can pop out midflight, that's the main reason the M3 is getting internal batteries this time, just like the Mini.

To check the swelling just use a ruler when they are hot after a flight. For example batteries like this would be dangerous:

2021-10-27
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

RobZilla Posted at 10-26 11:34

I checked and here are the data for one of the 3 batteries (it's not very different for the other 2).
What bugs me is the data chart for Minor Deviations, apparently the trend goes into a direction where more and more deviations occur. The rest seems OK as far I can conclude. What do you think?

2021-10-27
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 10-27 04:23
I have about 220 cycles on my 3 Air2S batteries and still quite flat, they are about 78-80% according to Airdata and still no voltage deviations.

If they swell a lot they can pop out midflight, that's the main reason the M3 is getting internal batteries this time, just like the Mini.

Posted the AirData charts above.
2021-10-27
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your batteries seem about normal and similar to what mine are showing including the Deviations. The only difference is I don't have the swelling (yet) so maybe your batteries have accelerated life deterioration.

As others have noted, if the swelling prevents battery insertion or causes it to release when flying, I would probably avoid using it. Maybe respond to the DJI moderator or reach out to DJI service to see what your options are if you have Care Refresh. I'm not sure what the options are for batteries so I'm curious to find out as well.
2021-10-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Hrodnand Posted at 10-26 21:49
I always store them in Li-Po bags to avoid any accidents.

I will monitor the swelling though, if there's any change. It really isn't noticeable unless you place something straight on it, and has been like this for months.

Had no idea Li-Po bags were a thing -- thanks!
2021-10-27
Use props
djiuser_H5o8BFti7c4b
New

Pakistan

My two batteries are too swelled so i just opened the batteries cover and make a small hole in the two lithium ion batteries so that I able to push the air out now it’s looks normal to in performance and charging but i fly the drone in my sight for emergency or short circuit.
2022-11-3
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_H5o8BFti7c4b Posted at 11-3 06:26
My two batteries are too swelled so i just opened the batteries cover and make a small hole in the two lithium ion batteries so that I able to push the air out now it’s looks normal to in performance and charging but i fly the drone in my sight for emergency or short circuit.

Seriously?
2022-11-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dear lord.  A scientist that user is not.
2022-11-4
Use props
Georgieboy M. Hilado
New

Philippines

dreamtuner Posted at 2021-10-26 07:56
It's not always the charging cycle. Let the batteries cool down to room temperature before re-charging/storing and also the drone body before swapping a fresh one into the drone.

So with my 3 batteries. Quite disappointing to think that its charger is supposed to be technologically intelligent.
2023-7-10
Use props
eric.tadsen
lvl.1
United States

Well it does seem that gas has accumulated in there. If there's some way to evacuate the gas then what's wrong with that? Problem is how. Puncturing the Li-ON film can cause a fire or explosion.
2023-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules