59089 206 2021-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI reimagines what an action camera can do with the new DJI Action 2. The interchangeable and adaptive magnetic design opens new vistas to make every video compelling, with unique tools to frame, shoot, and monitor a camera, featuring DJI’s unparalleled expertise in stabilization systems. DJI Action 2 is smaller, more versatile, and more powerful than its predecessor, giving everyone the tools and the confidence to capture life’s adventures in crystal-clear 4K.

action2-1.png

“Whether you’re racing down a mountain or playing tag with your kids on a playground, everybody deserves an easy and intuitive tool to capture and remember those life moments,” said Paul Pan, DJI Senior Product Line Manager. “We stripped our action camera down to its fundamentals and rebuilt it from the ground up to create DJI Action 2. You can configure this camera for neighborhood walks, hang gliding off a cliff, music festivals, and countless other action-packed moments. DJI Action 2 embeds DJI’s legendary technology in a revolutionary new series of mounts and fittings, making it easier than ever to see your life in action.”

action2-2.png

Modular, Wearable Design
Weighing 56 grams, the new compact and innovative modular design allows users to take DJI Action 2 anywhere they go. It has options to attach to your helmet to film an FPV bike ride, mount on your surfboard to get right next to a breaking wave, and wear securely to your shirt to create an easy, hands-free timelapse of your tour in a new city. From vlogging to extreme sports, Action 2 is the triple threat – dustproof, waterproof [[1]] and drop-proof [[2]] – and robust to withstand the ups and downs of all of life’s adventures. DJI Action 2 comprises the camera unit and various modules – the front touchscreen module, power module, and various mounting peripherals – that can be interchanged. With multiple configurations and mounting combinations, users have unlimited control over creatively capturing the world.

action2-3.png

DJI Action 2’s touchscreens are redesigned to make it easier and more convenient to control your photography so you can focus on the action. The camera unit features a 1.76-inch OLED touchscreen with an additional OLED screen on the front touchscreen module, which attaches securely to the bottom of the camera unit via magnetic locks, allowing users to set up a selfie and vlog instantly. Protected with Gorilla Glass, the touchscreens use haptic feedback for more precise control so you can navigate through camera settings quickly. You won’t miss any of the action with SnapShot, which allows users to turn the camera on and instantly begin recording in just one second by holding the power button down.

Powerful Imaging System
A 1/1.7-inch sensor records up to 4K/120fps video for incredible detail, and a super-wide 155° FOV lets you capture your entire surroundings for immersive footage.  A newly implemented Color Temperature Sensor helps the camera restore color tones in complex lighting conditions and underwater recording for more natural, vibrant results.

action2-4.png

Following its predecessor, DJI Action 2 incorporates RockSteady 2.0, DJI’s proprietary Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology. For a new level of smoothness, HorizonSteady maintains a level frame throughout the shot, even during your more dynamic moments. The DJI Action 2 Camera Unit has a battery with a run time of up to 70 minutes on its own, 160 minutes when connected with the Front Touchscreen Module, and 180 minutes with the power module. [[3]] Using DJI Action 2 with the front touchscreen Module also incorporates DJI Matrix Stereo technology, first seen in DJI Pocket 2. The single microphone from the camera unit combines with the three microphones from the module to record audio from every direction, creating immersive sound during playback.

Packed with Intelligent Features
DJI Action 2 offers a variety of intelligent features, including:
●      Slow Motion: Record video in slow motion (4x in 4K/120fps and 8x 1080p/240fps) to capture transient moments with permanence.
●      Hyperlapse and Timelapse: Control the perception of time with Timelapse and Hyperlapse to capture unique content with the effect of the world moving faster around you. During Hyperlapse recording, you can switch to and from regular-speed recording for even more creative options.
●      QuickClip: Set the device to take short 10, 15, or 30-second videos, perfect for social media.
●      Livestream: Use DJI Action 2 to broadcast a livestream with a stable stream output of up to 1080p/30fps.
●      UVC: Utilize DJI Action 2 as a USB video device class (UVC) for your computer and capture high-quality video for conference calls and live gaming broadcasts.

Unlimited Possibilities [[4]]

DJI Action 2 connects with the DJI Mimo app on your mobile device via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for even more functionality, including a live feed of the camera, various story templates, and more. For users short on time or new to content creation, Mimo includes an intuitive AI Editor, which automatically selects and combines every epic moment with flawless transitions and upbeat music, creating share-worthy videos on social media.

action2-5.png

An ecosystem of accessories helps you to maximize all the possibilities of DJI Action 2, including:

●      DJI Action 2 Front Touchscreen Module: A front-facing OLED touchscreen and three built-in microphones bring 4-mic Matrix Stereo technology, which allows you to compose videos or selfies and record crisp audio on the go. Connect to Action 2 for a maximum battery life of 160 minutes.

●      DJI Action 2 Power Module: Lets you get the most out of Action 2 by providing up to 180 minutes of filming and an additional microSD card slot. A hot-swappable design means you can change between power modules for all-day power.

●      DJI Action 2 Magnetic Lanyard: Wear this stylish-yet-discrete lanyard to keep your hands free and capture moments from an exciting first-person view.

●      DJI Action 2 Magnetic Ball-Joint Adapter Mount: An adhesive base allows users to attach DJI Action 2 to any surface and enjoy 360° of freedom to fix the camera in any direction. A standard 1/4" screw hole is compatible with most camera accessories.

●      DJI Action 2 Magnetic Adapter Mount: This mount securely holds DJI Action 2 in place during extreme sports or demanding scenarios. It includes folding fingers at the bottom to use Action 2 with most third-party action camera accessories.

●      Remote Control Extension Rod: A versatile 3-in-1 accessory serves as an extension rod, tripod, and detachable remote controller, to meet all your shooting needs.

●      DJI Floating Handle: A hollow design helps keep DJI Action 2 floating so you can film in water without fear of losing the camera. An anti-slip grip makes it easy to hold, and the handle can be attached to a tripod or the DJI Action 2 Waterproof Case.

●      DJI Action 2 Waterproof Case: The Waterproof Case houses DJI Action 2 Camera Unit and front touchscreen module or power module to depths of up to 60 meters.

●      DJI Action 2 Magnetic Headband: Another hands-free alternative that allows users to shoot videos in unique FPV.

●      DJI Action 2 Macro Lens: This optical glass with multi-layer coating attaches magnetically over the camera unit lens, making for ideal close-up shots in sharper, richer detail.

●      DJI Mic: Wireless dual-channel recording system that adds clear and crisp audio to your vlog or showreel. DJI Mic has a recording range of up to 250 meters and is compatible with Action 2, smartphones, and any device that has a 3.5mm audio input. Enjoy up to 5.5 hours of battery life from the transmitters, 5 hours from the receiver, and 15 hours from the charging case. [[5]]

DJI Care Refresh
DJI Care Refresh, the comprehensive protection plan for DJI products, is now available for DJI Action 2. For a small additional charge, DJI Care Refresh (1-year plan) includes up to two replacements in one year. DJI Care Refresh (2-year plan) includes up to three replacements in two years and extends the original warranty up to 2 years from the date of purchase. Other exclusive services of DJI Care Refresh include an International Warranty Service, exclusive technical service, free shipping, and Rewards for Safe Use. For a complete list of details, please visit https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh.

action2-8.png
Price and Availability
DJI Action 2 is available for preorder today from store.dji.com and authorized retail partners in several configurations. The DJI Action 2 Dual-Screen Combo will be available on November 2, retailing for $519 USD, and includes the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit, Front Touchscreen Module, Magnetic Lanyard, Magnetic Ball-Joint Adapter Mount, and Magnetic Adapter Mount. The DJI Action 2 Power Combo will be available in late November, retailing for $399 USD, and includes DJI Action 2 Camera Unit, Power Module, Magnetic Lanyard, and Magnetic Adapter Mount. All other accessories will be sold separately. For more information on all the new features, accessories, and capabilities, please visit https://www.dji.com/dji-action-2.

[1] DJI Action 2 Camera Unit has an IP68 rating, operating at depths of up to 10 meters without additional waterproof housing.

[2] DJI Action 2 has been tested to withstand drops.

[3] When recording 1080p/30fps video in Power Reserve mode.

[4] All parameter values listed on this page were measured using the production version of DJI Action 2 in a controlled test environment. Actual results may vary depending on the environment, usage method, and firmware version.

[5] DJI Mic will be available at a later date.

2021-10-27
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I have to think of 519 reasons not to
2021-10-27
Use props
Alex Assenmacher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 216430 ft
  • >>>
Andorra

thanks for all the good info! here we tested it a bit out!
2021-10-27
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

SO. . . how much storage does the internal memory have?
2021-10-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks very cool!
2021-10-27
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

And I have to wait until mid November probably to get it
2021-10-27
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

No replacable front-glass element on an action cam. (What) did you think while designing it?

This is probably my reason not to buy it.

2021-10-27
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

griffdude13 Posted at 10-27 05:42
SO. . . how much storage does the internal memory have?

little more than 20 gb
2021-10-27
Use props
kupoakupoa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

so if you have screen module you have the sd-card slot AND charging function?
no need for the power module  too then..
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

160 mins of battery life with the screen module attached - and about half an hour of memory capacity.   The blurb above is really misleading - it says the battery module provides an additional SD card slot - sorry, it's the only SD card slot.  The blurb says it's great for a music festival - but to record other than a brief amount of material, you have to lose the 4 channel sound because there's no memory card in the module that has the mics.  This is a fatal design flaw.  I don't know what DJI were thinking!

Edit - I've now seen a review which says the screen module does have an SD card slot.  But this is the first reference I've seen to it.  Does anyone know for sure?  DJI??

2021-10-27
Use props
macik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251043 ft
Czechia

I'm wondering if the original Osmo Action's production will be ended or it will be kept available alongside the new model. As both models are quite different, keeping both would make sense to me...
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HorizonSteady only works at 2.7K according to one review.
2021-10-27
Use props
kupoakupoa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

can someone from DJI confirm that the Screen-module  has NO micro-SD-card slot?
if so then This is a real fatal design flaw.
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

kupoakupoa Posted at 10-27 06:59
can someone from DJI confirm that the Screen-module  has NO micro-SD-card slot?
if so then This is a real fatal design flaw.

I've now seen a couple of videos clearly showing the SD card slot on the screen.  Sorry for getting that wrong (but some reviews and the DJI blurb were confusing about that).  And... they have implemented my feature request, even though I only made it in the last week or so - you can copy from the camera unit onto the SD card in the screen unit!  So if you are away from home and a PC or you don't have much space on your phone, then you don't have to worry about filling up the camera module - you only need the screen module in order to unload it to one or more SD cards. Great feature.
2021-10-27
Use props
kupoakupoa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-27 07:31
I've now seen a couple of videos clearly showing the SD card slot on the screen.  Sorry for getting that wrong (but some reviews and the DJI blurb were confusing about that).  And... they have implemented my feature request, even though I only made it in the last week or so - you can copy from the camera unit onto the SD card in the screen unit!  So if you are away from home and a PC or you don't have much space on your phone, then you don't have to worry about filling up the camera module - you only need the screen module in order to unload it to one or more SD cards. Great feature.

Sounds great!
on the Screen module product pictures can see the same slot as on the Power module.
but still confusing in product description for Screen module DJI dont say a word about..
2021-10-27
Use props
scubaAnn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4425230 ft
United States

Alex Assenmacher Posted at 10-27 05:38
thanks for all the good info! here we tested it a bit out!
https://youtu.be/sBWxy9WXHL0

Good review.  So no overheating issue? Can the macro lens be put in the waterproof housing case?  
2021-10-27
Use props
fans13e1a8f4
lvl.2
Poland

Can the angle of the lens be adjusted?
Only 155?

I hope you will be able to buy a frame that will allow you to record horizontally, not vertically.
Frame for two modules.
2021-10-27
Use props
kupoakupoa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I order my DJI Action 2 Dual-Screen Combo now. it will arrive next week.
very excited for first shootings with it then!
2021-10-27
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest from my initial impression, I don't like it. The thing I liked about the original Action was that it unabashedly took what GoPro was doing and improved on a lot of their tech. It still holds its ground very well against even the 10 to an extent. And the fact it used a lot of the same accessories from the action cam field was a nice plus.

This is an entirely new design, and while I appreciate that, I feel like there's some huge missteps. The separated unit by itself has no SD card slot and has a non-replaceable battery that only last half an hour at best. A lot of what DJI is touting here in the video is severely limited by that. And then you cant even just change out the battery on the fly, you HAVE to recharge the unit or add the modular attachment.

I'm willing to give this design a chance in the next generation as long as they improve battery life, add a lot more internal storage or just an sd slot to the main unit, or make the batteries modular again.

This feels like a misfire on paper after coming out of the gate killing with the 4D last week.
2021-10-27
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Does anyone know whether it's possible to charge the device via the USB C interface?
The webcam feature is what I was looking for and it delivers on that front so I'm very happy.  I think the reasoning behind separating the SD card/display to another snap on unit was to make the main unit as light as possible and then you can just add whatever functionality you like to it.  It's a shame it doesn't come out of the box with the headband though
2021-10-27
Use props
3square
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108091 ft
United States

important question. can you turn off all connectivity (WIFI and BT) on the Action 2? if I can't, then I won't be able to use it on my DJI FPV. I mount the osmo action to the FPV, and it blocks the GPS on the FPV. For some reason the osmo action doesn't allow you to turn off WIFI/BT and that causes interference with the FPV.
2021-10-27
Use props
Rectro30
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sorry DJI you have made a huge mistake.  You had a chance to make something great and seem to have crushed the very thigs that made DJI Osmo so good.

1: No dual screen on the stock model.
2: No ability to use a USB power bank
3: Modules bumping up the costs to crazy prices while making a small form factor large again?
4: No standard mic input
5: A 1:1 screen shape for a wider lens aspect ratio = small viewable screen.
6: Looks like no replaceable screen should it crack?

This is only from what I have seen so far.  I dare say one would need loads of expensive batteries, and by the time they buy all your moduals the camera would have cost double the latest Gopro.  Shame, such a shame.  I will keep my Osmo, and buy Gopro in future.
2021-10-27
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

I had the original Osmo Action and loved it.  Until my house got broken into and it got stolen.  Since then, I've waited for over a year for this Action 2 to come out with high anticipation of buying it, but sad to say, I'm going to have to do a hard pass!!  Slick design, I like the magnetic feature, but only 32gigs internal storage for a 4k 120fps camera and no memory card slot to expand it?  I have to attach the external battery in order to gain additional storage that, in turn, makes the device too big for action use?  How am I attaching all that to a helmet, or ski's, surfboard, etc?

Here is the scenario I would have to do:  I put this on my helmet and go shoot video for about 20 minutes, come back and be like, "hold on, I have to offload this video footage before I can go back out and shoot more because this thing ONLY has 32 gigs of storage".  I'm NOT doing that, that's an epic fail!  The main body should have 128 gigs minimum if you're not going to allow for a memory card slot.  (probably an exaggeration, but you get my point)

You already have the Osmo Pocket for vlogging and selfie videos, why in the world did you feel the need to make this...that also?  This should be a dedicated action camera!  The original Osmo Action is BETTER.  I can easily and quickly swap batteries and memory cards to keep shooting and the entire device was still waterproof.   Why in the world would I want to switch to this cumbersome modular device?  All you had to do over the original Action was improve the sensor, do 4k at 120 fps and maybe a few other tweaks.  It would have been perfect.  I have no idea why you felt the need to do a radical redesign and thought this was the solution.  Just to be different?

All this time I've waited, for nothing.  So now I either buy the original Action again or look at your competitor.  I might had bought this in a heartbeat if you had put more than just 32gig of storage in it.  That's like Apple selling the 16gig iPhone model back in the day.  FAIL!
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

scubaAnn Posted at 10-27 07:59
Good review.  So no overheating issue? Can the macro lens be put in the waterproof housing case?

It seems some overheating issues have been fixed in FW updates while reviews were being prepared.
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

griffdude13 Posted at 10-27 09:03
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest from my initial impression, I don't like it. The thing I liked about the original Action was that it unabashedly took what GoPro was doing and improved on a lot of their tech. It still holds its ground very well against even the 10 to an extent. And the fact it used a lot of the same accessories from the action cam field was a nice plus.

This is an entirely new design, and while I appreciate that, I feel like there's some huge missteps. The separated unit by itself has no SD card slot and has a non-replaceable battery that only last half an hour at best. A lot of what DJI is touting here in the video is severely limited by that. And then you cant even just change out the battery on the fly, you HAVE to recharge the unit or add the modular attachment.

The Action 2 camera module offers a lot more than the Insta360 Go 2 which seems to have sold well - I loved mine to bits until it was destroyed in an accident... you have to balance the downsides of tiny size with the upsides.  This is not a GoPro - it's something pretty different.
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Rectro30 Posted at 10-27 10:45
Sorry DJI you have made a huge mistake.  You had a chance to make something great and seem to have crushed the very thigs that made DJI Osmo so good.

1: No dual screen on the stock model.

This is the whole thing - it's not a gopro.  It's a bit like when they brought out the Pocket - a whole new thing.  Indeed, if you want a gopro with standard gopro features, then that's what you should buy.
2021-10-27
Use props
FPV_Nima
New

United States

My only request is the ability to sync two of them to take 3D photos/videos and/or VR180 photos/videos.

If this feature is added, thousands of people in the 3D and VR180 communities will definitely buy two of them in a heartbeat. There's no current cameras available that match these specs at this price. Cameras like VuzeXR exist that can do 5.7K resolution at $400, but the sensors are much worse than these and it can't do 120hz, which makes this significantly better.

You could just shoot with these manually and align them later, but the lack of sync and the extra work needed would turn everyone off.

Please add a feature to sync the cams and use them as 3D and VR180 cameras and you'll see a HUG influx of sales!
2021-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The forthcoming DJI Extension rod and remote control works with up to 12 cameras at once.  Whether that counts as sync I don't know.
2021-10-27
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-27 15:25
This is the whole thing - it's not a gopro.  It's a bit like when they brought out the Pocket - a whole new thing.  Indeed, if you want a gopro with standard gopro features, then that's what you should buy.
Well that seems an odd thing to say.  The original Osmo Action was specifically made to be a competitor to a GoPro.  This is the 2nd edition of that device but now all of a sudden it's "something completely different"?   If this is a totally different type of device, then it should have a totally different name.

No, it's still a GoPro competitor but with a radical new design that makes it more cumbersome with too many sacrifices.  Want longer record time than just a half hour due to the limited built in battery and only 32gig memory?  You have to stop using the device to offload the video footage to free up the memory and charge it before you can continue to use it, or spend more money to attach the extra battery module.  But with attaching the extra battery module, you've just sacrificed it's over all size and it's no longer waterproof.  You'll end up spending more on this with its modules than just buying a GoPro 10 Hero for the same capabilities that's an all in one device.
2021-10-27
Use props
Cdelle
lvl.2

Canada

3square Posted at 10-27 09:55
important question. can you turn off all connectivity (WIFI and BT) on the Action 2? if I can't, then I won't be able to use it on my DJI FPV. I mount the osmo action to the FPV, and it blocks the GPS on the FPV. For some reason the osmo action doesn't allow you to turn off WIFI/BT and that causes interference with the FPV.

Looking at the manual you can choose network and frequency. Nothing about turning it off. A easy firmware fix for the original action but then DJI just ignored us for over 2 years. Same old DJI!!!!!
2021-10-27
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

amazing new action camera... can not wait to purchase one... great work dji...
2021-10-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Frontliner 2020 Posted at 10-27 19:14
amazing new action camera... can not wait to purchase one... great work dji...

Hello there Frontliner 2020. Good day and thank you for the reply. Again, thank you for your valued support and keep filming. .
2021-10-27
Use props
davitzakari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 483527 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m satisfied with my osmo action cam. I’m keeping it. It has everything in one device. Camera, rear and Front screen, sd card slot and removable battery. The daylight footage is still great to me. I don’t need this extra magnetic stuff.
2021-10-27
Use props
djiuser_I0VPDBN0J6d1
New

Germany

Hi DJI  Sorry, but what you did with the DJI Action2 is a shame and you have to take your nose for it. With the DJI Action you had created a competitive product, which you destroyed again with the Action 2.  The DJI action was: - small and compact - everything is available (dual screen, microphone, power, memory, filter for the lens) - Compatible accessories - Unbeatable price  With the DJI Action 2, all advantages are over: - No more accessories fit on the new Action 2 - If you want dual screen or more power you have to buy additional products - Additional products are not waterproof! - Product is too big with accessories - Price is not competitive  It's a shame for the long wait for a new innovative product that existing DJI Action customers have been hoping for. But that can't be the case and it will certainly not be on my wish list.
2021-10-27
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

cooooool
2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Video_Junkie Posted at 10-27 16:32
Well that seems an odd thing to say.  The original Osmo Action was specifically made to be a competitor to a GoPro.  This is the 2nd edition of that device but now all of a sudden it's "something completely different"?   If this is a totally different type of device, then it should have a totally different name.

No, it's still a GoPro competitor but with a radical new design that makes it more cumbersome with too many sacrifices.  Want longer record time than just a half hour due to the limited built in battery and only 32gig memory?  You have to stop using the device to offload the video footage to free up the memory and charge it before you can continue to use it, or spend more money to attach the extra battery module.  But with attaching the extra battery module, you've just sacrificed it's over all size and it's no longer waterproof.  You'll end up spending more on this with its modules than just buying a GoPro 10 Hero for the same capabilities that's an all in one device.

I totally agree - it should be called the DJI Modular or something.

But I think there's too much emphasis on the small capacity of the camera unit on its own.  Think of it as a single unit with the front facing screen attached.  SD card is there, good battery capacity is there.  But if you want to use the camera unit alone for some short clips where the tiny size is the right tool for the job, hey, bonus, you can.  
2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_I0VPDBN0J6d1 Posted at 10-27 22:04
Hi DJI  Sorry, but what you did with the DJI Action2 is a shame and you have to take your nose for it. With the DJI Action you had created a competitive product, which you destroyed again with the Action 2.  The DJI action was: - small and compact - everything is available (dual screen, microphone, power, memory, filter for the lens) - Compatible accessories - Unbeatable price  With the DJI Action 2, all advantages are over: - No more accessories fit on the new Action 2 - If you want dual screen or more power you have to buy additional products - Additional products are not waterproof! - Product is too big with accessories - Price is not competitive  It's a shame for the long wait for a new innovative product that existing DJI Action customers have been hoping for. But that can't be the case and it will certainly not be on my wish list.

It's nothing to do with the original Action - they should have chosen a new name.  It's really a more serious and capable version of the Go 2.  I suppose it's the DJI Go 3....
2021-10-28
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-28 03:32
I totally agree - it should be called the DJI Modular or something.

But I think there's too much emphasis on the small capacity of the camera unit on its own.  Think of it as a single unit with the front facing screen attached.  SD card is there, good battery capacity is there.  But if you want to use the camera unit alone for some short clips where the tiny size is the right tool for the job, hey, bonus, you can.

You're right, it should have been named something else, but who exactly is the target audience for this thing?  All over DJI's product page and even at the top of this thread you see images of people on motorcycles using this as a traditional action camera, so of course I'm going to assume this is exactly as this thing was intended.

Picture this:  You and two of your friends are out with your dirt bikes and want to shoot a day of riding.  You have this device and your friends have the original Osmo Action or a GoPro.  After only a half our of riding you have to stop and spend an hour to charge this thing.  You also have to take a laptop with you so you can offload the video footage to free up the internal memory.   Meanwhile, your friends can stop and within 3 minutes swap out a dead battery for a fresh one and swap a full memory card for a blank one and get back out there and keep having fun while you're sitting on the sidelines.

Do you think people are going to find this acceptable use?  Do you think people are going to attach the extra battery module to this and mount all of that to their helmets, that makes it twice as big as the original Osma Action or GoPro?  Heck no.  

Many people aren't going to think of these things when they buy this device but they will quickly discover these hassles and limitations and I'll bet money most people are going to regret buying this thing.  Jump through these kinds of hoops and hassle for a device that's only a half inch smaller than a the original Osmo Action or a GoPro?  It's not worth it IMO.

People want ease of use, not have to carry around a bag full of modules and accessories and have to constantly swap one module for another and take the time to put in a waterproof case and take it out every time they change the type of content they want to film.  Why would you choose that kind of hassle over an all-inclusive device that can do it all that you can quickly swap a battery and memory card?

With all that said, I don't see who this cumbersome device is marketed toward and I don't see how DJI design team didn't think of these things.
2021-10-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  Saw a few reviews of overheating issues after only 5-7 minutes of use.  
2021-10-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Video_Junkie Posted at 10-28 05:48
You're right, it should have been named something else, but who exactly is the target audience for this thing?  All over DJI's product page and even at the top of this thread you see images of people on motorcycles using this as a traditional action camera, so of course I'm going to assume this is exactly as this thing was intended.

Picture this:  You and two of your friends are out with your dirt bikes and want to shoot a day of riding.  You have this device and your friends have the original Osmo Action or a GoPro.  After only a half our of riding you have to stop and spend an hour to charge this thing.  You also have to take a laptop with you so you can offload the video footage to free up the internal memory.   Meanwhile, your friends can stop and within 3 minutes swap out a dead battery for a fresh one and swap a full memory card for a blank one and get back out there and keep having fun while you're sitting on the sidelines.

You make some very valid points.  
2021-10-28
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules