DJI Action 2 | More Than Action
59165 206 2021-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

edwardquan Posted at 11-2 08:38
My ball head (ohh err missus!) is also very stiff - I think this is just because it's new and will get better with more use.  I am hesitant to move it into position with the camera attached due to the amount of force involved - I would recommend moving the mount into the position first and then attaching the camera afterwards.

I would be hesistant to use any kind of lubricant as a) it might invalidate your warranty and b) it might make the ball socket not keep its position any more ...

Just to clarify, I don't mean that the Android app isn't saving videos.  I honestly haven't tried that yet.  In my case, it's not saving any of its own settings.  Every time I launch the app it's as if I'm launching it for the first time.
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jhoff80 Posted at 11-2 09:08
Just to clarify, I don't mean that the Android app isn't saving videos.  I honestly haven't tried that yet.  In my case, it's not saving any of its own settings.  Every time I launch the app it's as if I'm launching it for the first time.

Try checking the app permissions - if you've had it installed for a while and not used it then Android may have removed some access such as local storage etc which the Mimo app may need to save preferences etc

I don't know what version of Android you're using, but you can generally find the app permissions by long pressing on the app icon or going to settings->applications->DJI Mimo->Permissions.

Hope this helps
2021-11-2
Use props
grumpy232
lvl.1

United States

After reading some of the comments I might be changing my mind on the OA2. My main use would be for fishing.  I like the idea of being able to move the camera and mount it to a different mount i.e. from the boat to a chest mount when there's a fish on and then maybe to a stick for underwater for netting the fish. Does the OA2 have the means for continuous recording (looping) and just saving the last 5 minutes with a button press? I want to be able to record when the rod gets the strike to when the fish is landed. I know GP is capable of this and was the front runner, then the OA2 because of the size and ability to change mounts on the fly became the front runner, now I'm having doubts. With the GP, I'll need two cameras, one on the boat mount and one with the chest mount. I like the idea of switching mounts magnetically, but if I can't keep the OA2 at full battery charge, then it's a fail. A USB C as previously mentioned would have been a no brainer to be able to keep the stand alone unit charged at all times. Any suggestions DJI?
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

grumpy232 Posted at 11-2 10:05
After reading some of the comments I might be changing my mind on the OA2. My main use would be for fishing.  I like the idea of being able to move the camera and mount it to a different mount i.e. from the boat to a chest mount when there's a fish on and then maybe to a stick for underwater for netting the fish. Does the OA2 have the means for continuous recording (looping) and just saving the last 5 minutes with a button press? I want to be able to record when the rod gets the strike to when the fish is landed. I know GP is capable of this and was the front runner, then the OA2 because of the size and ability to change mounts on the fly became the front runner, now I'm having doubts. With the GP, I'll need two cameras, one on the boat mount and one with the chest mount. I like the idea of switching mounts magnetically, but if I can't keep the OA2 at full battery charge, then it's a fail. A USB C as previously mentioned would have been a no brainer to be able to keep the stand alone unit charged at all times. Any suggestions DJI?

Although I have the Action2, I haven't used many of its features yet - I do recall seeing something about a loop functionality in the menu options (I'm running the 27-OCT-21 firmware).

The Tilta cage offers a USB port to a mount just for the top unit - not sure about it's waterproofing ability though ....

The Tilta cage info can be found here - https://tilta.com/2021/10/first- ... p;mc_eid=7bebb049ef
2021-11-2
Use props
grumpy232
lvl.1

United States

edwardquan Posted at 11-2 10:08
Although I have the Action2, I haven't used many of its features yet - I do recall seeing something about a loop functionality in the menu options (I'm running the 27-OCT-21 firmware).

The Tilta cage offers a USB port to a mount just for the top unit - not sure about it's waterproofing ability though ....

Wow, ok. Still might need a second camera for underwater shots. But the initial strike on the rod will be important, and as long as I can get the last 5 minutes to be saved to a card, that's the crucial part. Any idea on price? They say "at a later date".  I would like to commit to something rather soon. Thanks
2021-11-2
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

edwardquan Posted at 11-2 09:52
Try checking the app permissions - if you've had it installed for a while and not used it then Android may have removed some access such as local storage etc which the Mimo app may need to save preferences etc

I don't know what version of Android you're using, but you can generally find the app permissions by long pressing on the app icon or going to settings->applications->DJI Mimo->Permissions.

Unfortunately even with full permissions it doesn't seem to be working right.
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

grumpy232 Posted at 11-2 10:54
Wow, ok. Still might need a second camera for underwater shots. But the initial strike on the rod will be important, and as long as I can get the last 5 minutes to be saved to a card, that's the crucial part. Any idea on price? They say "at a later date".  I would like to commit to something rather soon. Thanks

Understood - me too - I want to get these cages asap! I don't think anyone has any timeframes, but I have signed up for their newsletter - I'm sure when they're available for purchase it'll be announced.
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jhoff80 Posted at 11-2 11:50
Unfortunately even with full permissions it doesn't seem to be working right.

Hmm interesting - within the same area (i.e. System->Application->DJI Mimo you should see a menu entry called "Storage and Cache" - within here, you should see an option to clear both your storage and cache - I would try clearing both and then launching the application again and see how you get on.

So to clarify:

1) Quit DJI Mimo - make sure it's not running in the background and you've quit/killed it totally
2) Clear Storage and Cache
3) Try loading DJI Mimo again

If that doesn't work, then repeat steps 1 and 2 above again, but instead of carrying out step 3, uninstall the DJI app, and then reinstall it and try again.

If that doesn't work you'll have to raise a support ticket with DJI
Hope this helps.
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

grumpy232 Posted at 11-2 10:05
After reading some of the comments I might be changing my mind on the OA2. My main use would be for fishing.  I like the idea of being able to move the camera and mount it to a different mount i.e. from the boat to a chest mount when there's a fish on and then maybe to a stick for underwater for netting the fish. Does the OA2 have the means for continuous recording (looping) and just saving the last 5 minutes with a button press? I want to be able to record when the rod gets the strike to when the fish is landed. I know GP is capable of this and was the front runner, then the OA2 because of the size and ability to change mounts on the fly became the front runner, now I'm having doubts. With the GP, I'll need two cameras, one on the boat mount and one with the chest mount. I like the idea of switching mounts magnetically, but if I can't keep the OA2 at full battery charge, then it's a fail. A USB C as previously mentioned would have been a no brainer to be able to keep the stand alone unit charged at all times. Any suggestions DJI?

Also - just as a heads up - with modern batteries, generally it's a bad idea to keep the batteries fully charged all the time due to the memory effect that can occur.  What ends up happening over time is that the battery never uses the "lower part"/rest of the battery and hence when it does the charge leaks off very quickly.

This happens with all batteries to some extent but used to be quite prevalent on Ni-Cad batteries, then there was Ni-M-Hy, and Lithium Ion etc - along with efficiency improvements, the key factor in upgrading was also the benefits of less battery memory.

There have actually been research papers written on the best strategies on battery usage and optimum charging levels etc - e.g. the consensus is if you store a rechargeable battery long term it should be charged around 70% and with Lithium Ion batteries you shouldn't use them for the whole charge cycle (from full to empty) - they actually last longer if you charge them more frequently/not when they're totally empty.
2021-11-2
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

edwardquan Posted at 11-2 12:30
Hmm interesting - within the same area (i.e. System->Application->DJI Mimo you should see a menu entry called "Storage and Cache" - within here, you should see an option to clear both your storage and cache - I would try clearing both and then launching the application again and see how you get on.

So to clarify:

I've tried all of those, thanks though.
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jhoff80 Posted at 11-2 12:41
I've tried all of those, thanks though.

Ah ok - sorry I couldn't help any further.

Just one last thing to check - are you running the latest version? (1.7)?

I can't see any option to open a ticket with DJI re. MIMO, but if you want to call them, their numbers are below:

https://www.dji.com/uk/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2021-11-2
Use props
fans6c61af2b
lvl.1
United States

Is the DJI Action 2 compatible with the iPhone 13 Pro Max? I am unable to view my photos from the DJI Mimo app on iOS 15.1. The preview and download won’t load. I tested it on my iPad/iOS14 and no problem there.
2021-11-3
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans6c61af2b Posted at 11-3 00:21
Is the DJI Action 2 compatible with the iPhone 13 Pro Max? I am unable to view my photos from the DJI Mimo app on iOS 15.1. The preview and download won’t load. I tested it on my iPad/iOS14 and no problem there.

It might be worth opening a separate thread about this, so it'll get picked up as an issue by the DJI admin/engineers
2021-11-3
Use props
kasperven2891
New

United States

this camera looks amazing wooooow!!!

https://tutuapp.uno/ , https://9apps.ooo/ , https://showbox.kim/
2021-11-3
Use props
TeddHardy
lvl.1

United States

I can’t download my Files to my phone. Is anybody else having this issue
2021-11-3
Use props
Busker12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 165154 ft
United Kingdom

i am concerned with the issues around over heating, what are the realities of this and whats the fix of any.
2021-11-4
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

TeddHardy Posted at 11-3 19:59

If you are using the iPhone - yes - it is a known issue which DJI are working on
2021-11-4
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Busker12 Posted at 11-4 05:02
i am concerned with the issues around over heating, what are the realities of this and whats the fix of any.

DJI are working on this - I'm very certain a new firmware release will be forthcoming
2021-11-4
Use props
djiuser_74KSw8W8VeBF
lvl.1

Singapore

My FOV menu is greyed out and I can't access, any help appreciated
2021-11-4
Use props
djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD
New

United States

I received my Action 2 today. I'm having trouble registering and activating the camera.
The QR code is so small that my Galaxy s20 cannot read the code.
Is there a replicated QR code online?

This is my first action cam of any kind and I'd like to use it tomorrow evening. For some Rallye car race footage here in Oregon.
2021-11-4
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD Posted at 11-4 19:46
I received my Action 2 today. I'm having trouble registering and activating the camera.
The QR code is so small that my Galaxy s20 cannot read the code.
Is there a replicated QR code online?

I didn't even realise that you could pair with a QR code! I did it via Bluetooth!

I don't know of any online QR code, but that's not to say one doesn't exist - someone may be able to point you to one, but I would imagine that the QR code has to be unique/specific to a single camera - but then again this depends how the connection is initiated.

I'm not an expert, but I've listed a few options below @djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD that might work better for you.

1) See if your phone has a "macro" mode where it will allow you to take pictures close up to something - this might help you take a clearer picture of the QR code
2) Try using Bluetooth to connect to your camera - switch the camera off, switch bluetooth on on your phone, switch the camera on and then load the DJI Mimo app on your phone and try to add the device via the top left icon at the top (at least this is where it is on Android) - the app should then try to find the camera via Bluetooth

Hope this helps - let me know how you get on.
2021-11-5
Use props
djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD
New

United States

Thank you for the advice Edward.
I'll try your suggestions.

Another oddity is the Asian language text on the camera as delivered. But I imagine that once the camera is paired to the phone. I can select English and the new default.
2021-11-5
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD Posted at 11-5 03:48

Glad to help - let me know how you get on.

The language issue might be due to what region your product was sourced from - I bought directly from DJI and it came in English.  There definitely is an option in the camera to change language.

2021-11-5
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD Posted at 11-5 03:48

I had the same issue with mine set to presumably Mandarin when I received it.  Purchased from Best Buy in the US.
2021-11-5
Use props
fansf5294eee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1175 ft
  • >>>
United States

Having problem with app not downloading photo or video?
Place holders all show up and does not ever download.
All is up to date  . Using iPhone 13
2021-11-5
Use props
fans6c61af2b
lvl.1
United States

TeddHardy Posted at 11-3 19:59

Same issue here. All i’m being told is to try a different phone on their compatible list.. ugh. Thinking about returning this now
D9EBFD5C-2941-4D72-B226-5A3D6925F4AD.png
3BE10FF9-3AD6-496C-9D08-96FBCEC55CBB.jpeg
2021-11-5
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans6c61af2b Posted at 11-5 08:30
Same issue here. All i’m being told is to try a different phone on their compatible list.. ugh. Thinking about returning this now

This has been reported multiple times elsewhere on the forums - I'm pretty sure this will be resolved in a future firmware update.
2021-11-5
Use props
fansee6b0ba2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488264 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The heating problem must be solved FAST! Hey is it not possible to switch it on high on my eu modell? I will sell the action2, of not fast a solution comes! 4 minutes recording indoor, on 4k, 60fps till shotdown! My GoPro hero 10 is better, and it is bad..
2021-11-5
Use props
grumpy232
lvl.1

United States

Boardtalk Posted at 10-28 10:09
I like the magnet system, makes setting up faster than the Gopro with all the fiddly bits. Pity I just got the new Gopro 10 two weeks ago. Maybe next time.

There's a magnet system for the GoPro. Google is your friend.
2021-11-5
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

There always seem to be extra problems for the users of the fruit company phones, and most likely every new IOS update in the future will brick your camera / phone functionality.
This seem to be pretty normal from my perspective having been focusing on other little cameras for the past 10 years, new IOS update and in hours the forums are alive with people having some kind of problem.
I am sure if Apple wanted a action camera to work with their phone, they would make one,,,,,, and it would be marvelous.

My savings are going in other directions, right now i am saving for a thing that are the price of five action 2 cameras.
So outside of the normal boy want any new gadget i have no problem at all overlooking the action 2

Mind you the damn phones on the google flavor,,,,, not much better, i am very chuffed i just use my phone to make a call or send a text every 2 - 3 days
2021-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansee6b0ba2 Posted at 11-5 09:36
The heating problem must be solved FAST! Hey is it not possible to switch it on high on my eu modell? I will sell the action2, of not fast a solution comes! 4 minutes recording indoor, on 4k, 60fps till shotdown! My GoPro hero 10 is better, and it is bad..

To solve the problem, they need to change the laws of physics.  That's all.  Easy!
2021-11-6
Use props
djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD
New

United States

edwardquan Posted at 11-5 05:45
Glad to help - let me know how you get on.

The language issue might be due to what region your product was sourced from - I bought directly from DJI and it came in English.  There definitely is an option in the camera to change language.

Finally got it sorted.
The QR code on the camera appears to be the MIMO app. Since I was unable to scan it from the camera. I searched the DJI webpage download section and found the QR code.
https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo

I enlarged the QR and scanned it with the QR app on my phone.
Works like a charm.
Once I had the camera registered. I was able to take a few test videos.

Note: when registering the camera. You must be signed into your WIFI network and bluetooth at the same time.

Thank you again Edward.

Now to get more familiar with this great action cam.
EDIT: Also the language issue took care of itself once the camera was registered.

2021-11-6
Use props
peterjvh
lvl.1
Thailand

djiuser_74KSw8W8VeBF Posted at 11-4 07:32
My FOV menu is greyed out and I can't access, any help appreciated

Not sure you figured it out or not.  But the FOV can only be changed if neither rocksteady or horizon steady are activated.  At least that's what I found out on mine.
2021-11-6
Use props
peterjvh
lvl.1
Thailand

I tried my Osmo Pocket USB C to 3.5mm mic adapter on my Action 2, with a Rode Smartlav.  No go.  Anyone know if the Action 2 and Pocket use a different adaptor?  or....
Thanks in advance
2021-11-6
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_HLM4JaakXegD Posted at 11-6 05:26
Finally got it sorted.
The QR code on the camera appears to be the MIMO app. Since I was unable to scan it from the camera. I searched the DJI webpage download section and found the QR code.
https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo

Glad to hear you're up and running - enjoy!
2021-11-6
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

peterjvh Posted at 11-6 08:31
I tried my Osmo Pocket USB C to 3.5mm mic adapter on my Action 2, with a Rode Smartlav.  No go.  Anyone know if the Action 2 and Pocket use a different adaptor?  or....
Thanks in advance

One of the other contributors to this forum mentioned a 3.5mm jack on its own won't help as it records via digital audio - so it would need to be converted from digital ...
2021-11-6
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh so close if only the charge port on this adapter worked at same time as mic
The 3.5mm part works great just not at same time as the charge.
Maybe a way to enable the power negotiation in a firmware update? The adapter supports PD 3.0.
20211107_003335.jpg
2021-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

peterjvh Posted at 11-6 08:31
I tried my Osmo Pocket USB C to 3.5mm mic adapter on my Action 2, with a Rode Smartlav.  No go.  Anyone know if the Action 2 and Pocket use a different adaptor?  or....
Thanks in advance

The Action 2 - commendably - uses standard adapters, not adapters which were dedicated to specific other devices.  So any mic adapter that works with an Android phone, and probably a PC, will work.  And if the adapter also supports headphones, that works too.  I have personally tested the Audio-Technica ATR2x-USB  and also recorders from Zoom, using them as interfaces to the Action 2 via USB.
2021-11-7
Use props
djiuser_74KSw8W8VeBF
lvl.1

Singapore

peterjvh Posted at 11-6 08:26
Not sure you figured it out or not.  But the FOV can only be changed if neither rocksteady or horizon steady are activated.  At least that's what I found out on mine.

Thanks! Yes! you solved my problem. It does mean I can't use Wide and Ultra Wide when either stabilisation is enabled. :-(

Action 2 is overall an amazing action camera but there are minor problems (could be specific to me).

(1) The camera does feel hot, and at times very hot, but never evough to affect my shooting. cavaet, I shoot mostly short video and the longest one I shot was ONLY 18 minutes (mostly less than 3 minutes), I did change my temperature setting to high and the camera has not shut down on me while shooting.

(2) I can't download the videos into my Android Phone (using dji Mimo on Galaxy Z Fold 3), the circle animation on the file shows "completed" in graphic (not in words) but I can't find the downloaded file in the phone anywhere.

(3) My unit has a strange problem which I discovered only after 3rd day of usage. Each time I need to fully charge my front screen base separately first then attach the camera unit to charge both units in order to fully charge both units, if I charge the unit attached to the camera, the camera unit gets fully charged but not the front screen base (base charge will eventually fall to zero with the camera always fully charged when attached)

(4) It is amazing how good the Horizontal stabilisation is, quite unfortunate that it only works up to 2.7K. If there is a way to work up to 4K/60 in the future, then it will be a must have camera.

(5) my files in the main camera unit isn't automatically transferred to my base unit.

Here's hoping all problems I have will be solved eventually as I find Action 2 camera

2021-11-7
Use props
peterjvh
lvl.1
Thailand

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-7 13:21
The Action 2 - commendably - uses standard adapters, not adapters which were dedicated to specific other devices.  So any mic adapter that works with an Android phone, and probably a PC, will work.  And if the adapter also supports headphones, that works too.  I have personally tested the Audio-Technica ATR2x-USB  and also recorders from Zoom, using them as interfaces to the Action 2 via USB.

Thanks.  I've ordered a Saramonic USB C to 3.5mm hopefully it works.  But.. not sure it has to be TRS or TRRS.  Gotto figure that out next, but lucky have Rode TRS to TRRS adapters.
2021-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules