Possible to mount horizontally?
6463 26 2021-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jitterydentist
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I use a GoPro currently and am not happy with it so am looking to change to the dji Action 2. My simple requirements are:
  • Record long videos up to three hours without crashing, overheating. 4K is not necessary for me, happy with 1080p
  • Ability to mount the camera horizontally on my helmet to reduce snagging risk from paragliding lines
  • Easy to determine if the unit is recording with a mirror
  • An accessory to reduce wind noise (some kind of fluffy thing) when mounted to a helmet

After looking at the vertical form factor, I was kind of disappointed, but maybe I can work around it.

Thanks.

2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I read somewhere that if you turn it sideways, it records in vertical format - which in a way makes sense... but with horizonsteady on, you get horizon locked wide footage regardless of the orientation of the camera - it covers a full 360 degree rotation.  So that would appear to fit your needs, so long as 2.7K was adequate.
2021-10-28
Use props
jitterydentist
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-28 03:39
I read somewhere that if you turn it sideways, it records in vertical format - which in a way makes sense... but with horizonsteady on, you get horizon locked wide footage regardless of the orientation of the camera - it covers a full 360 degree rotation.  So that would appear to fit your needs, so long as 2.7K was adequate.

Uggh, I want to turn it sideways and record horizonal format. Possible?
2021-10-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

jitterydentist Posted at 10-28 03:47
Uggh, I want to turn it sideways and record horizonal format. Possible?

just don't turn on horizon steady and it will record at what ever angle you put it at. Turn horizon steady on and it will remain locked to the horizon. Yes, it will do what you are wanting.
2021-10-28
Use props
jitterydentist
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 10-28 04:08
just don't turn on horizon steady and it will record at what ever angle you put it at. Turn horizon steady on and it will remain locked to the horizon. Yes, it will do what you are wanting.

Perfect, I don't want horizon steady anyway.

Final question, is it possible to mount it to a helmet in horizontal form factor securely?
2021-10-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jitterydentist Posted at 10-28 05:39
Perfect, I don't want horizon steady anyway.

Final question, is it possible to mount it to a helmet in horizontal form factor securely?

I would imagine that would depend on how you mount it to the helmet. the way it's designed I would think you would need a mount that would allow it to swivel or turn into that position.
2021-10-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have seen a couple of reviews stating overheating at 5 minutes and another at 9 minutes.  So just a heads up.
2021-10-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-28 06:50
Have seen a couple of reviews stating overheating at 5 minutes and another at 9 minutes.  So just a heads up.

I wonder if those reviewers have updated to the latest production firmware or were still on pre-production firmware when the overheating happened.
2021-10-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Good you asked this question because I was thinking the same about mounting it sideways (horizontal) to my chin mount on helmet.
As mentioned before, you can use horizonlevel and 1440p, but you will not get Rocksteady.

I think I need to test it the ordinary way and hope it will not stick too high up and just look stupid
2021-10-28
Use props
jitterydentist
lvl.1

United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 10-28 08:51
Good you asked this question because I was thinking the same about mounting it sideways (horizontal) to my chin mount on helmet.
As mentioned before, you can use horizonlevel and 1440p, but you will not get Rocksteady.

I'm quite surprised by the design because that vertical form factor will be a problem in a lot of scenarios. I think I will hold off buying for now.
2021-10-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

jitterydentist Posted at 10-28 10:48
I'm quite surprised by the design because that vertical form factor will be a problem in a lot of scenarios. I think I will hold off buying for now.

I have ordered it and I'm really curious about mounting it on my atv on different angles + using it as helmet-cam.
2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

There still seems to be some confusion here (unless it's me being confused....).

Mine arrives in the next few hours.  Maybe my first YT video should be an explanation of the effect on the image of the different settings and physical alignments.  I could do that indoors, given that right now the wind is gusting to 100kmh and I don't want the tiny camera to get blown away on the first outing....
2021-10-28
Use props
jmto
lvl.1

United States

I've tested the A2 over the weekend and mounted it horizontally with HL on. And it will not record in 16:9 format if mounted horizontally and you start recording. BUT if you have it in the upright position first, and hit record and then rotated it into the horizontal position, it will provide you the proper aspect you want. It's just a bit of additional thought before starting the recording you have to think about before you start recording.
2021-11-1
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ooops, I forgot to post this here earlier - full demo of orientation lock on the Action 2.

2021-11-1
Use props
jitterydentist
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-1 17:25
Ooops, I forgot to post this here earlier - full demo of orientation lock on the Action 2.

https://youtu.be/8Zse9CnZpdE

Awesome video! Thanks
2021-11-2
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because of the modular design it's possible someone or DJI could make a cage or something that would allow a horizontal mounting option.
I was thinking the same thing as I use my OSMO Action on a hat to record front facing video on a fishing Kayak.

Something like the Tilta cage for the base unit but with the addition of a 3.5mm mic jack and SD card would be perfect.
2021-11-3
Use props
Gramps50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57841 ft
United States

My thought is that a Osmo Action would suit your need better.
2021-11-3
Use props
Maxx2206
lvl.2
Germany

JodyB Posted at 10-28 04:08
just don't turn on horizon steady and it will record at what ever angle you put it at. Turn horizon steady on and it will remain locked to the horizon. Yes, it will do what you are wanting.

Hi,

sorry, but I think this is confusing...
I got hold of two Actions 2 meanwhile, and HorizonSteady nicely eliminates tilting up to exactly 90 degrees, then it flips.
So, I wanted to record sideways, too (since I need to extend the recording time granted by the standalone camera module) but it won't work.
If you flip it 90 degree sideways, it records vertically, not horizontally anymore just like in the first few minutes of the video posted here.

Apparently there is no way to flip the camera sideways and still record 16:9. Since the camera was designed with this unusual vertical stacking in mind this is very disappointing because it makes it awful to mount on a helmet IMO and very vulnerable to shaking and wind due to its height and combined weight.

Right now i am hoping to see DJI releasing a small form factor socket with usb and sdcard socket.. Similar to the announced Tilta case which only has usb for power, though
2021-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Maxx2206 Posted at 11-19 05:30
Hi,

sorry, but I think this is confusing...

I posted a video above explaining all this.  See 1'48" - isn't that what you want?  
2021-11-20
Use props
Maxx2206
lvl.2
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-20 13:09
I posted a video above explaining all this.  See 1'48" - isn't that what you want?

Hi,

wait.. I think i start to understand now...
You enable HorizonSteady and start recording while holding it in "normal" position AKA vertically, then you tilt 90 degree sideway and lock it into the socket and it keeps the original 16:9 horizontal orientation, right?
OK, that would do the trick although it means taking it out of the socket everytime i stop/resume the recording... but definitely the lesser evil...
2021-11-20
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do not see what the issue is here.
The camera can record in any orientation irrespective of whether HorizonSteady is on or not.
Mount the camera horizontally as required, the image will automatically reorientate itself. Then hit record as normal.
With HorizonSteady switched on it exactly the same. Orientate the camera wherever you like. The Horizon Level feature only activates when you hit the record button - it then locks the horizon in that orientation.
2021-11-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-20 14:04
The camera can record in any orientation irrespective of whether HorizonSteady is on or not.
Mount the camera horizontally as required, the image will automatically reorientate itself. Then hit record as normal.

If it was that easy I wouldn't have bothered to make the video. Recording with orientation lock on and off gives you different results.  The key to the current question is to turn on orientation lock.  Mount it horizontally with horizonsteady on.  Then start recording,  End of problem.  
2021-11-20
Use props
Maxx2206
lvl.2
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-20 18:03
If it was that easy I wouldn't have bothered to make the video. Recording with orientation lock on and off gives you different results.  The key to the current question is to turn on orientation lock.  Mount it horizontally with horizonsteady on.  Then start recording,  End of problem.

Hi,

correct.. the problem was, I originally thought orientation lock only mattered for the HUD, not the actual recording.
I never thought of trying to combine both for the aimed result because of this.
Once you understand that it also locks the recording orientation in combination with Horizonsteady it's all good (well, almost, since I normally preferred RockSteady beause a little tilting makes more natural riding videos I think, but if this is the price to pay for mounting the stacked camera horizontally I'm willing to pay it) ;)

Anyway, thanks for pointing that part (lock) out! ;) Now i can try a horizontal mount and see if it's mechanically more stable.
2021-11-20
Use props
Maxx2206
lvl.2
Germany

IftiBashir Posted at 11-20 14:04
The camera can record in any orientation irrespective of whether HorizonSteady is on or not.

Hi,

well, there IS a difference and also a reason to use the combination of both. The video shows it when you realize whats going on, but even at first I didn't get it until fansfe made me think about it.

Horizon steady locks, yes, but you have to take it off the horizontal mount, start recording and THEN remount to have the desired effect of recording in 16:9 instead of the ugly "mobile phone style" vertical 9:16.
Otherwise the video will just flip from 16:9 to 9:16 (and keeps the horizon locked in that <180 degree range) when you do a full 90 degree tilt in either direction.

If you activate orientation lock (with active HS) while holding the camera upwards, then mount it sideways, you can start and stop recording whenever you like and it still keeps the footage in 16:9.

That's a quite big difference in handling the camera.
2021-11-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Maxx2206 Posted at 11-20 13:36
Hi,

wait.. I think i start to understand now...

if you start a recording with horizon lock enabled, the lcd will appear as if it isn't working. But if you play the video back, it will be the correct orientation. And I agree, it is quite a bit of difference in handling the camera.
2021-11-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JodyB Posted at 11-23 16:09
if you start a recording with horizon lock enabled, the lcd will appear as if it isn't working. But if you play the video back, it will be the correct orientation. And I agree, it is quite a bit of difference in handling the camera.

I think the point being made is in relation to orientation lock setting.  I'd advise all users to do their own tests of the different permutations and combinations of OL on and off and HL on and off.  Even having done it myself and made a video about it, I still scratch my head sometimes!
2021-11-23
Use props
roymeo
lvl.1
United States

Think I'm trying to solve the same problem here, but I'll restate to doublecheck that that is true.

I want to mount the Action 2+Power on my bike handlebars rotated 90° so it doesn't stick up so far/rattle/shake. Same as if I wanted to attach it to my bike helmet; unicorns are cool and all, but I'd look more like Dipsy the Teletubbie.

So I want some combination of settings and actions that records video when the camera's at 90° that is in Landscape with my bike wheel on the bottom of the frame, or even a Portrait with my wheel on one of the long sides so I can rotate it when editing and get correct Landscape.  But no combination of 4x/2.7k, HorizonBalance/RockSteady, OrientationLock On/Off/On-at-90°, starting recording at 0° or 90° seems to achieve this.

2.7k & 4k with HorizonBalance:
  * Orientation Lock ON
    - Start record camera 0°: (A) Landscape with wheel down, but rotate 90° CCW and Landscape w/ wheel on left side.
        - Start record camera 90°: (B) Landscape with wheel left, but rotate to 0° and Landscape w/ wheel down.
  * Orientation Lock off
    - Start record camera 0°: (A) Landscape with wheel down, but rotate 90° CCW and Landscape w/ wheel on left side.
        - Start record camera 90°: (C) Portrait with wheel down, and rotate to 0° and Portrait w/ wheel right.

4k with RockSteady: same as above A/B/A/C

And maybe it's about turning Orientation Lock on while holding the camera at 90°?
4k with HorizonBalance
  - Start record camera 0°: (C) Portrait with wheel right, rotate 90° CCW and we're Portrait wheel down.
  - Start record camera 90°: (C) Portrait with wheel down, and rotate to 0° and Portrait w/ wheel right.
4k with RockSteady
  - Start record camera 0°: (C) Portrait with wheel right, rotate 90° CCW and we're Portrait wheel down.

So what am I missing if you can indeed get it to sit sideways but end up with video that is effectively Landscape as if one weren't sideways?

(I got the SmallRig case which'll let me de-Dipsy it to the side mostly because otherwise the magnet+latches rattle like crazy (people hear me coming 100 feet away) so I ended up having to rubber-band the thing down. Strap-on-Dipsy?)

(edit to add...)
Oh, ha ha.  There's new settings...when I drop down to 2.7k there's Off/Steady/RockSteady/HorizonBalancing/HorizonSteady.  (firmware 01.02.10.10/camera firmware 10.00.35.05)Everyone else was throwing around inexact terms like Horizonlock (?) that I thought my memory of a HorizonSteady setting was wrong.  Nope, just got fooled by the Jan 21 firmware addition of HorizonBalancing.

It does appear that using the actual HorizonSteady setting on 2.7k I can indeed start with camera upright at 0° which gives me the proper Landscape w/wheel down and any amount of rotating the camera doesn't change the orientation.

The only way to achive this appears to be with less-than-4k and true HorizonSteady.

2022-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules