TakeOff but why "green light" for TakeOff?
5087 12 2021-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Short video how things can go wrong.....

I decided to powered on my MA2 as last in sequence and see if i can go take as quickly as possible.
Takeoff from my hand, with DJI assistance in the FlyApp.

Uh...why DJI do you let me go fly ?  ZERO satellites and red warning first but than into a white "Takeoff permitted"
BUT still ZERO satellites !!
So warnings about NoGPS and into ATTI ...(actually OPTI) after a DJI message "Takeoff permitted"

And yes, this was on purpose ofcourse, normally i wait for a white satellite icon and HP set.

So DI  WHY??

EDIT
Take permitted means that you are not in a no fly zone etc (i always thought that it means kind of ready to fly...)
But why do i see "N-Mode" after powering up with zero satellites?
During flight when satellites goes down in number and or reception N mode will change to ATTI.
I think it is more logical to leave the mode blank (or **** ) at start and turns into N-mode when the GPS icon turns inot white.

cheers
JJB

2021-10-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will be truly interesting to see how DJI answers this query.  
2021-10-28
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Truly dangerous and there was a flat surroundings so GPS signal connected quickly!
2021-10-28
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

I believe that if the inferior sensors being Ok and also the ambient lighting is good, the drone software does not consider it risky to fly without GPS, not passing the limit height of the VPS sensors.

Hugs

2021-10-28
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

"Take off permitted" is for fly safe zone  verification, not Sat lock. It says " No GPS fly with caution" What's the issue here? You took off before it got a sat lock, so what. The manual tells you it can be done However, use caution as it will be in Atti (opti) mode. If you can't fly in Atti mode then don't fly. Or learn to fly with no training wheels. UGH! ( the drama)
2021-10-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

They should really make this harder.
2021-10-28
Use props
Spacetrakker
First Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

Surely you don't want DJI to make ALL decisions for your flights?  Your drone appears to be working quite correctly to me.

Cheers
2021-10-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Spacetrakker Posted at 10-28 20:17
Surely you don't want DJI to make ALL decisions for your flights?  Your drone appears to be working quite correctly to me.

Cheers

guess some readers, you as well, did not read my last sentence....

2021-10-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JimDandy Posted at 10-28 08:13
"Take off permitted" is for fly safe zone  verification, not Sat lock. It says " No GPS fly with caution" What's the issue here? You took off before it got a sat lock, so what. The manual tells you it can be done However, use caution as it will be in Atti (opti) mode. If you can't fly in Atti mode then don't fly. Or learn to fly with no training wheels. UGH! ( the drama)

Hi JimDandy,

Thanks for your reply, but did you read my last sentence?

But never know or realized that "TakeOff permitted" is related to fly zones ect. Thanks for that.

Even so, for newbies in the flying drone world...why do i see N-Mode with zero satellites?
While flying and sats go bad in number and/or reception N-mode turns into ATTI mode?

I think it is more logical to leave N-Mode blank at start and turns into N-mode when the GPS icon turns into white.  This would make it easier for remote pilots to start a flight.

cheers
JJB

2021-10-28
Use props
Dryvise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10869498 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Hello everyone!
JimDandy, don't talk nonsense. Takeoff may be prohibited for other reasons. For example, in mini if ​​you try to start without GPS and good lighting it will say "Takeoff restricted". Here is even an error code for you for this reason: "30239 GPS signal low. Aircraft unable to auto hover and takeoff restricted. Move to environment with adequate light. Unlocking takeoff restrictions not recommended". By the way, you can remove the restriction.
So the remarks of the distinguished JJB * are appropriate.
2021-11-11
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

If flying indoors in a large arena or waterpark GPS sat#s will be low or 0.  In this case you do not want the Fly App disabling your ability to take off, since you would be purposely flying in an area with no satellites, but still required to capture images for commercial or promotional reasons.  

Granted this would not be something a newbie would be doing, but expecting a manufacturer of a product to protect the interests of a first time user by limiting the capabilities of advanced users would be a poor business model.  

I think a simple rule should be, if as a drone pilot you don't feel comfortable flying in a situation you find yourself in, land the drone, and fly in conditions you do feel comfortable in.     
2021-11-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Fly_Hazr_Air Posted at 11-12 11:38
If flying indoors in a large arena or waterpark GPS sat#s will be low or 0.  In this case you do not want the Fly App disabling your ability to take off, since you would be purposely flying in an area with no satellites, but still required to capture images for commercial or promotional reasons.  

Granted this would not be something a newbie would be doing, but expecting a manufacturer of a product to protect the interests of a first time user by limiting the capabilities of advanced users would be a poor business model.  

Hi,

Ofcourse it must be possible to fly in a situation as you describe.
But for new pilots i would change the FlyApp in such a way that it is more clear for them.
So, add a prompt, acknowledge and fly in OPTI or ATTI mode.

So it is not the thing about not feeling comfortable but about knowing/understanding the situation.
Too many newbies ask questions about what happend to my flight where they started with zero satellites. a prompt like the blades check may help the newbie pilot.

Some remote pilots have their own roots in the aircraft industries, they do not need manuals or prompts  ;-)

cheers
JJB
2021-11-12
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 11-12 11:51
Hi,

Ofcourse it must be possible to fly in a situation as you describe.

Great points! A system like the blade check prompts would be a good idea to consider.  
2021-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules