Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mine has arrived - what do you want to know?
1039 33 2021-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've just ripped mine from the box and popped it on the charger.  Wow, it's small.  First impressions (after 2 minutes without even turning it on) are good.  Feels good.  Snapping the two parts together could make a video in itself.  Very satisfying (weirdly satisfying I should say).

I plan to put up a video within 12 hours covering the orientation aspects.  I'll also be doing a thorough check of the audio to see whether it's just the same as the Pocket 2. I'll post the video here.  Any questions you'd like answered either in writing or as part of a YouTube video?  I will only bother to cover things which are not already covered well already.  No, there will not be an unboxing video by me...

2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Currently dealing with the usual nightmare of first setup with a DJI product.

I've managed to authorise it, following installation of the latest version of the app using the link in the quick setup guide.  I managed to purchase 2 years of Care Refresh.  Remembering my account details for both DJI and Paypal was a struggle... (Not DJI's fault of course).  Now downloading new firmware which I hope will include English in the interface because currently it's stuck in Chinese, and Google Lens can't help because the screen is too bright for it to function.  Sigh...
2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Once you have completed the firmware update using the app, you get a screen on the camera asking you to select interface language.

Now downloading the manual in the app, because there's a few things I don't immediately get - how to turn off the front screen for instance.
2021-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I had wondered whether the battery unit can be connected below the screen unit for ultimate power - no, there's no pogo pins on the bottom of the screen module.

There seems to be no way to actually turn the device off directly.  After long pressing the button, it goes into sleep mode for 60 minutes and then shuts down itself. Slightly disconcerting...

2021-10-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I looked at buying it but man it is expensive
2021-10-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hahahahahaha.
So far I never had issues with setting my DJI products up.
It was straight forward.
But I'm very interested in the video quality you are getting.
2021-10-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting how stable on a tripod it would be for Timelapse's.
2021-10-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-28 17:35
I had wondered whether the battery unit can be connected below the screen unit for ultimate power - no, there's no pogo pins on the bottom of the screen module.

There seems to be no way to actually turn the device off directly.  After long pressing the button, it goes into sleep mode for 60 minutes and then shuts down itself. Slightly disconcerting...

Hi, there. Thanks for your sharing. Please noticed that you may press and hold the power button for 8 seconds to force a shutdown.  "Press and hold the power button on DJI Action 2 to enter sleep mode. The camera will automatically power off after 60 minutes in sleep mode", the reason why we set this mode is that we hope our customers can pick up the camera and shoot the footage in time whenever they want.
For your advice, we will forward it to our designated teams. Please keep us updating as to let us know. Thanks in advance.
2021-10-28
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

Cool. If you could do a test shot of a starry sky at night?
Eager to se how it compares to the first Action.
2021-10-29
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Congrats on new camera.
Would like to see footage straight from camera itself without any sharpening/editing.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Soundie Posted at 10-29 00:31
Cool. If you could do a test shot of a starry sky at night?
Eager to se how it compares to the first Action.

Sorry, where I live the chance of seeing a star with the naked eye is minimal, let alone taking a picture of one.  Hopefully someone else will give that a try.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-28 23:39
Hi, there. Thanks for your sharing. Please noticed that you may press and hold the power button for 8 seconds to force a shutdown.  "Press and hold the power button on DJI Action 2 to enter sleep mode. The camera will automatically power off after 60 minutes in sleep mode", the reason why we set this mode is that we hope our customers can pick up the camera and shoot the footage in time whenever they want.
For your advice, we will forward it to our designated teams. Please keep us updating as to let us know. Thanks in advance.

Thanks.  I have three suggestions -

1 - Put the present method of total shutdown into the pdf manual.  Unless I'm blind, it's not in there.
OR
2 - Have a main menu option - "Sleep before shutdown" with a switch to select that feature to be on or off, default on.  When off, a normal long press would go straight to shutdown to save battery.
OR
3 - Reduce the time of the 8 second long press to 2 seconds.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 10-28 23:15
Hahahahahaha.
So far I never had issues with setting my DJI products up.
It was straight forward.

If users follow the instructions in the getting started manual exactly as stated there's no real problem.  For me, seeing Chinese at the outset without an obvious way to switch to English was a worry.  But if I had simply done what i was told, I would have been fine.  There's a moral there somewhere..,
The video that I am currently uploading to YouTube doesn't really attempt to show quality as such - it's mainly related to explaining the orientation lock setting, which is essential to be aware of.  Also I did a quick test walk with horizonsteady on, then compared width of image with HS on, RS on, and all off, then a brief test of the zoom feature.  

Next thing I will explore will be how well it works on my Falcon gimbal which I recently got for the Action 1.  The point?  Well, to provide horizon lock at 4K and the other modes you get with a gimbal.  If it works, the Action 1 will be relegated to dashcam duties..  With the magnetic system it should be the work of a moment to pop the camera unit onto the little gimbal using the magnetic prong adapter pre-attached to the gimbal, when wanting to shoot in that style.  The Action 2 really does merit a bit of lateral thinking to get the most out of it - it stimulates creativity.
2021-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 00:48
If users follow the instructions in the getting started manual exactly as stated there's no real problem.  For me, seeing Chinese at the outset without an obvious way to switch to English was a worry.  But if I had simply done what i was told, I would have been fine.  There's a moral there somewhere..,

They have their ways indeed.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

See my edit of the post to which you kindly replied just now...
2021-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I had wondered whether the battery unit can be connected below the screen unit for ultimate power - no, there's no pogo pins on the bottom of the screen module.

I Believe its hot swapabble
2021-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I Believe its hot swapabble
2021-10-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 00:45

1 - Put the present method of total shutdown into the pdf manual.  Unless I'm blind, it's not in there.

Thanks for your reply. We have forwarded it to our teams.
2021-10-29
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-28 23:39
Hi, there. Thanks for your sharing. Please noticed that you may press and hold the power button for 8 seconds to force a shutdown.  "Press and hold the power button on DJI Action 2 to enter sleep mode. The camera will automatically power off after 60 minutes in sleep mode", the reason why we set this mode is that we hope our customers can pick up the camera and shoot the footage in time whenever they want.

I think it would be good to have an option pop on on the screen after you've held the sleep/power button for x amount of time to let the user choose sleep mode or power off. I personally like the sleep mode because like you said, I don't have to wait for the camera to boot all the way up before being able to shoot pics/vids but having a menu option pop up I think would be a good option.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you set the camera to record from shutdown using a long press of the button, it starts recording within about a second, though of course it will use the last setup which might not be what you want.
2021-10-29
Use props
Gollan
lvl.4
Canada

Can you charge while recording? Either plugged into the screen module or the power module?
2021-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

is it heating up recording in 4k?
2021-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gollan Posted at 10-29 06:21
Can you charge while recording? Either plugged into the screen module or the power module?

I would imagine you can use external power bank but not charge as you go.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Charging generates extra heat so.... with the Pocket 2 DJI suggest not charging during use for that reason.  I'd not try it unless they said it would be ok.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-29 06:33
is it heating up recording in 4k?

No overheating so far.  But it does get warm as the case is basically a heat sink I believe.
2021-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 06:43
No overheating so far.  But it does get warm as the case is basically a heat sink I believe.

Cheers, I see some having problems with overheating in Europe.
2021-10-29
Use props
Gramps50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57841 ft
United States

As I understand it the production firmware fixed most of the overheating issues.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I guess  I should do some tests today to see what provokes a shutdown...

4K120 test underway... I need a cup of tea, so if it gets hot enough I'll dunk the camera in a mug of water to boil it in a climate friendly way...

OK, I got 7 minutes in a room that's about 23C degrees, with the shutdown temperature set to 'standard'.  Now from my point of view that's fine.  Slowed down x4 that gives me 28 minutes of slow motion viewing.  Who wants to watch that?  I see these extreme settings as being for short clips.  I suppose it could be argued that you might want to video something in a long slow motion clip and then just use a few seconds when the skier went head over heels in dramatic fashion but if so, good luck finding a device which does that reliably.

4K60 (RS) I got 12 1/2 minutes (after letting it cool down from the previous shot).

4K30RS - I stopped it after 33 mins - it was pretty hot but still running.

2021-10-29
Use props
Gramps50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57841 ft
United States

@fansfe82067d  did you do your heat test with the lens attached or just the camera?
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tests so far have been with the front screen module attached.  I'm now testing with the camera alone and results are worse.  2.7K 30 HS = about 12 minutes only.  Hmmm.  When you set 4K120, in the settings it says you can only use it for 4 minutes.  Same for 100FPS.  The conclusion is that the standalone camera function is only for short clips more or less regardless of settings.  You can't do a city walk video with it around your neck.  Throughout I am using the standard heat cutoff setting but frankly I'd be concerned about burns or fires with the other setting!  Of course when using the internal memory you can't go overboard on data stored anyway, so I suppose the limited clip length does fit with the overall concept.
2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

1080p30 HL - 18 minutes before thermal shutdown with only the camera itself.  One thing I have to emphasise is that these tests are all indoors with the camera on a tripod.  And it's an action camera.  So outside with a bit of airflow, results may be different.  I'll go for a walk with it this afternoon and see what difference that makes.
2021-10-29
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 00:45

thanks for feedback,  we will consider that
2021-10-29
Use props
Gollan
lvl.4
Canada

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 18:44
1080p30 HL - 18 minutes before thermal shutdown with only the camera itself.  One thing I have to emphasise is that these tests are all indoors with the camera on a tripod.  And it's an action camera.  So outside with a bit of airflow, results may be different.  I'll go for a walk with it this afternoon and see what difference that makes.

Wow. That's really disappointing. I was sure that the Action 2 camera module would be able to fill up internal memory at 1080p30 without overheating.
2021-10-29
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 18:44
1080p30 HL - 18 minutes before thermal shutdown with only the camera itself.  One thing I have to emphasise is that these tests are all indoors with the camera on a tripod.  And it's an action camera.  So outside with a bit of airflow, results may be different.  I'll go for a walk with it this afternoon and see what difference that makes.

That's a little disconcerting to me really. Even indoors, like some has said, I would expect to be able to fill up the internal memory before a thermal shutdown. And this is on the latest firmware too?? If this is the case, then I have to really question DJI's chosen route with this camera. I may end up sending the one I've got coming back if it doesn't perform any better than that. I believe the original Osmo Action had an overheating issue when it was first released as well so maybe future firmware updates will solve this issue as well. Here's to hoping and time will tell the tale.
2021-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules