Fireman Osmo Action Overexposure Problem
1042 3 2021-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WellBeing
lvl.1

Hungary

Good day Everybody,
I have a problem that i really cannot solve. So as a volunter fireman i started to use Osmo Action in 2020. However i keep getting the same issue, that the sky and clouds are always overexposed. Mostly i keeps all the settings auto, because i dont have the time to adjust it in case of action, see two examples below. I tried to adjust the settings manually, so if i created a good setting for interior footages, when i left a house or a room, the footage was waaay overexposed and became useless. Also i really dont have the time to always change the settings on my camera, during an incident. And i also expecting more than that, from an action cam. So do you have any tips, settings, change what i can use to get some good quality footages, and evade this overexposure issue?

- I have the latest firmware and got no filters.
- I use D-cinelike, and usually keeps WB on auto as well. Sometimes i tried to adjust it, but i think these options are really does not do anything with overexposure.
- I uses settings in Auto.
- I checked other threads here but no luck, only one guy had a similar problem but with osmo pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrUk8MlOow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2oWzQW1OgE

Thank you in advance!
2021-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm not 100% sure if the Action has this, but on most DJI products (and camera's in general) you can change the auto exposure 'average' by EV compensation.
So if you set that to -0,7 or something, it will aim for a 'darker' average.
I always set this on all my camera's to about -0,7
It is not working for 100% of the situations, but usually it gives a much better end result (less over exposed images)

Sometimes it will make your subject too dark (especially in backlight situations) but that is just what it its.
If you can't do manual exposure, the EV compensation is your best friend.
2021-10-29
Use props
WellBeing
lvl.1

Hungary

Montfrooij Posted at 10-29 04:54
I'm not 100% sure if the Action has this, but on most DJI products (and camera's in general) you can change the auto exposure 'average' by EV compensation.
So if you set that to -0,7 or something, it will aim for a 'darker' average.
I always set this on all my camera's to about -0,7

Thanks for the ideal!

I just tested it and well it really does not change anything. I mean at my current location, i look out of the window, the sky is still overexposed and hurting my eyes, and if i turn the camera back to the room, i still cant see anything. If i set this EV on -2.3 example then the sky is better, but i still cant see anything from the interior.

I hope the problem is in me, and maybe i failed to set something.
2021-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

WellBeing Posted at 10-29 05:06
Thanks for the ideal!

I just tested it and well it really does not change anything. I mean at my current location, i look out of the window, the sky is still overexposed and hurting my eyes, and if i turn the camera back to the room, i still cant see anything. If i set this EV on -2.3 example then the sky is better, but i still cant see anything from the interior.

You're welcome!

When I'm looking at your video's, you really will benefit from -0,7 EV compensation a lot.
BUT it is not a solution for the problem every camera sensor has (some more than others).
They can only capture a certain dynamic range.
So that means if one part of the frame is very bright, while the other is very dark, it can't capture BOTH at the same time and get good exposure.
So you have to make a choice what you want.
And usually it works best when you choose to have a bit more dark footage (since it is more easy to correct in post than over exposed shots)

Some camera's have a HDR video option. I think the Action has this. That is something you can try.
It will correct (as good as it can) to make the brighter parts a bit darker and the darker parts a bit lighter.
Still no magic formula that fixes this fundamental problem of dynamic range, but it helps.

Some people might suggest trying ND filters, but they won't help much for this problem.
(not everybody understands this) UNLESS you are at your fastest shutterspeed already.
But this is only something you will encounter in super bright conditions (snow + sunshine for example)
2021-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules