Take Off Height For RTH
381 16 2021-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3362310 ft
United States

I checked the manual to find a take off height for RTH. What I mean is when you launch, how high should the 2s be for it to get a proper lock for its surroundinds for a precise RTH(before I go on my merry way)? 5 10 20ft etc? Many thanks.
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure you have at least 11 sats before you take off and then just hoover around 10 feet for a few seconds and you should be good.
2021-10-29
Use props
dreamtuner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

The Air 2S locks the satellites before taking off. You need to be patient after entering into the camera view and look closely at the upper right corner where the GNSS icon turns white. The manual advises ascending to ~7 meters (~23 feet) before you move horizontally.
2021-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 10-29 05:13
Make sure you have at least 11 sats before you take off and then just hoover around 10 feet for a few seconds and you should be good.

Make sure you have at least 11 sats before you take off
What's special about 11?
Wouldn't it be better to wait until the drone gets good GPS location data and records it's home point?
That could happen with less than 11 or it might take more.
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-29 06:38
Make sure you have at least 11 sats before you take off
What's special about 11?
Wouldn't it be better to wait until the drone gets good GPS location data and records it's home point?

The drone supports two systems of satellites. So 11 means you have at least 6 of any one type.
2021-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 10-29 06:49
The drone supports two systems of satellites. So 11 means you have at least 6 of any one type.

But it doesn't ensure that the drone has good enough location data to go to P-GPS mode and record the home point.
It will often take more satellites than 11.
There is no magic number of sats that ensures you are good to go.
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-29 06:59
The drone supports two systems of satellites. So 11 means you have at least 6 of any one type.
But it doesn't ensure that the drone has good enough location data to go to P-GPS mode and record the home point.
It will often take more satellites than 11.

Well. I. Several years of flying 11 has worked for me and it’s also the number that’s recommended on the forums.
2021-10-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 10-29 06:49
The drone supports two systems of satellites. So 11 means you have at least 6 of any one type.

DJI made its so simply for us.....in the FlyApp when the GPS icon turns white = enough satellites to set HP, before white is amber wich means enough SATs to have a GPS lock.

GPS Icon into white at 7, 9, 15, or *, it all depends wich SATs in the sky the drone sees.

12 sats in the sky in a row will not do the job, in the CVS you will find a Field [  OSD.gpsLevel ], range in there is 0 - 5 ; value >= 4  = white icon = HP set.

cheers
JJB
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 10-29 07:14
DJI made its so simply for us.....in the FlyApp when the GPS icon turns white = enough satellites to set HP, before white is amber wich means enough SATs to have a GPS lock.

GPS Icon into white at 7, 9, 15, or *, it all depends wich SATs in the sky the drone sees.

Sorry JJB. Just sharing what I was taught by this community and has worked flawless for me for many years.
2021-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 10-29 07:16
Sorry JJB. Just sharing what I was taught by this community and has worked flawless for me for many years.

Sorry JJB. Just sharing what I was taught by this community and has worked flawless for me for many years

But it's not correct and won't guarantee that your drone has switched to P-GPS and recorded a homepoint, no matter how many ignorant people might have suggested it to you.
If you read flight data from lost drone incidents, you'd see plenty that launched with 11 or more but still did not have a home point.
If you automatically launch on seeing 11 sats, therfe will be many times that you've launched before getting a homepoint, but you got away with it because you weren't in a critical situation where it mattered.

What's so hard about taking advice from someone who knows and spells out the reasoning for you?
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-29 07:36
Sorry JJB. Just sharing what I was taught by this community and has worked flawless for me for many years

But it's not correct and won't guarantee that your drone has switched to P-GPS and recorded a homepoint, no matter how many ignorant people might have suggested it to you.

Works for me,  thanks.
2021-10-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 10-29 07:16

oke, you can check it by yourself....White icon = HP set. So indeed no magic number for satellites.....

2021-10-29
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have found that in an often used spot in my front yard, 30 feet is not quite enough to insure precision landing since there are many trees around the spot. I now lift to about 50 feet, just above the tree tops and get good results. I also get better results by using the black/yellow side of the landing mat in daytime instead of the orange/white side, which I use at night.

Edit later.... Lab though I meant better GPS, but that's not what I meant, just a fuller image at that height. Sorry for the confusion.

What I have noticed is when I lift to only 20-30 feet, sometimes the drone comes down in the trees (without an intervention). Going higher usually results in two corrections, one higher until it gets down to about 20 feet then another correction to place it on the mat. Only the last correction is noted in a message onscreen. This makes me wonder if the drone saves multiple images.

2021-10-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-29 12:41
I have found that in an often used spot in my front yard, 30 feet is not quite enough to insure precision landing since there are many trees around the spot. I now lift to about 50 feet, just above the tree tops and get good results. I also get better results by using the black/yellow side of the landing mat in daytime instead of the orange/white side, which I use at night.

The tip about which side of the mat to use for landing is handy.
2021-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 10-29 07:36
Works for me,  thanks.

Works for me,  thanks.
That's the thing ... it doesn't work for you, but you don't realise it.

I don't care if you are resistant to factual information and prefer to stick with ignorant myths.
I post the factual information so other flyers might not be persuaded by your misinformation.
2021-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 10-29 12:41

I have found that in an often used spot in my front yard, 30 feet is not quite enough to insure precision landing since there are many trees around the spot.
Not sure how that works as precision landing uses optical technology and captures an image of the landing spot and its surrounds to use to pinpoint it.
It's not affected by GPS reception.
2021-10-29
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-29 15:20
I have found that in an often used spot in my front yard, 30 feet is not quite enough to insure precision landing since there are many trees around the spot.
Not sure how that works as precision landing uses optical technology and captures an image of the landing spot and its surrounds to use to pinpoint it.
It's not affected by GPS reception.

Let me make this simple. It takes an image of only the grass and mat when only 10-20 feet up. When up higher it takes an image of those and the trees that surround the home point. Emperical data...aka trial and error for what works best in my location. I never stated anything about GPS.

Ahhh... I see what you thought I meant. No, nothing to do with GPS, just a better image at that height. Again...sorry for the confusion. It does look like I meant GPS.

2021-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules