Action 2 and winter sports
6413 12 2021-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
l.maccani
lvl.2

Italy

How does it behave with winter sports? It is the first action camera that does not even feature a clip on the snow !!! Does it work at low temperatures? In the technical specifications the operating temperature ranges from 0 to 40 ° C. Action cameras and drones usually start at -10 ° C.
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its all down to the lion battery.  But I cant find temps for the hero10 to compare,   but there are posts of people saying the Hero turns off when cold.
2021-10-29
Use props
l.maccani
lvl.2

Italy

I have owned a Hero 9 and I own a Hero 10. The battery is the same. I had no problems with the cold and on YouTube you can find many videos showing the GoPro tests put in the freezer to measure the battery life. In addition, at the end of November GoPro will release the Enduro battery that is very resistant to low temperatures. I also had a Go2 from Insta360 and in the cold the battery lasts very little. I would like to buy the Action 2 (power combo) to replace the Hero 10 because the form factor is fantastic and the technical features are perfect for my use but I am afraid of the battery life for shooting in the cold on skis.
2021-10-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

The camera probably wasn't even available to influencers during a time for winter testing. I think the earliest I heard any of them mention was about 6 weeks prior to release date an influencer mentioned getting his. But it will be interesting none the less to see how the Action 2 fairs in winter weather. Probably will be a very suitable (albeit very expensive) hand warmer at the very least!!!
2021-10-30
Use props
l.maccani
lvl.2

Italy

Arpettaz Posted at 11-2 00:45
Like you I would like to use this camera for skiing.  In response to a separate thread I posted, just had this response from DJI about operating temperatures which you may find useful:

"When the temperature is below -10℃, DJI Action2 can not be turned on. When the temperature is between -10℃ to 0℃,you can use 1080p/30 to record video."

I saw your original post. Neither have I ever thought about the problem of overheating but only that of low temperatures.
I do mountaineering and the size of the action 2 with the horizon lock is great in comparison to the Hero 10 with the max mod (which I own and am waiting for the firmware update to use the max mod.). In the mountains I have problems with cold, never with heat!
1080p 30fps is few but can be fine on those low-temperature occasions
2021-11-2
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Arpettaz Posted at 11-15 06:26
Just watched this YouTube video featuring the Action 2. Ok it’s a comparison with the GoPro 10, but in my opinion there is little if anything to separate  the two cameras. The Action 2 seems to perform very well on the ski slopes

Hmm.  I'm an Action 2 fanboy (or FanElderlyGentleman) but the samples in this video - admittedly not in snow - make me hope that FW updates will reduce the lead that the GoPro seems to have at the moment.  The Action 2 picture quality seems significantly behind GoPro.  Play from 13'35" to just see the carefully done samples.

2021-11-16
Use props
BigBodyPresence
lvl.1

Canada

Bought the DJI action 2 to film snowmobiling because it was nice and small mounting on my helmet. Extremely disappointed with cold weather performance. It was -5C out and I drove 10 min down trail and it recorded clip in 4k. Then 5 min later I went to record and it said environmental temperature too low, use 1080p, so I switched to 1080p and it worked and i recorded a 1min clip. Then 5 min after that it was too cold to turn on. Basically useless. Never had that problem with my previous go pros. Will be switching back.
2022-2-28
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wow, the GoPro Hero 10 looks MUCH better then the Action 2 in the above video sample clips, especially that indoor low light test.
2022-3-1
Use props
Uchiha99
New

Vietnam

I love the GoPro Hero 10 because the GoPro Hero shoots 5.3K videos at twice the frame rate, 23MP photos, enhanced low-light performance, and game-changing HyperSmooth 4.0 video stabilization in any mode

2022-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules