Tilta Cage for DJI Action 2
3908 39 2021-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Got an email today with this link advertising the new Tilta cage for the various configurations of the new DJI Action 2.  FYI: I have the Tilta cage for my OA and believe it is one if not the best cage out there.  
https://tilta.com/2021/10/first- ... b&mc_eid=7bebb049ef

2021-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks.  Looks cool - and they do filters and lens protectors too.
2021-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2021-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing,  that looks really good.
2021-10-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  Looks like a great product.  
2021-10-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not too sure about the rectangular cage to mount the whole thing. Looks like if you don't get it in there right or tight enough, it could allow it to pop out. But it does look interesting. I have the Tilta for the osmo action and love it. Depending on how much it is, I may get one even though I have concerns about that rectangular cage.
2021-10-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think I may have spoke too soon about the rectangular shock absorbing cage. Looks like the shock absorbers have pins that fit into holes on the camera cages that lock it in. That would probably work pretty sweet if what I think I see is actually what I'm seeing.
2021-10-30
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Their VND looks nice.
2021-10-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tide Posted at 10-30 07:07
Their VND looks nice.

agreed, it does look good
2021-10-30
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, they added a USB C power input to the small base camera through the cage, that's awesome, now if they could do the same thing but add a 3.5mm mic input that would be perfect.
2021-11-2
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Cages look amazing - it'd be lovely if they could incorporate some lens protection in these cases though ....

Wish I had the opportunity to get involved in some of this product design - the USB C adapter for the base camera is a stroke of absolute genius
What I'd like to see though is a swivel base - something similar to the one that comes with the Action 2, but with a thin rectangular base which can form a secure connection to stick onto (or otherwise attach) to the top of a monitor when using it as a webcam.  The circular one with a sticky base that comes with the Action 2 isn't strong enough to maintain a solid connection to the top of the monitor - especially as it has to contend with 2 devices (as it needs the display/SD unit to utilise the USB connection)
2021-11-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 11-2 07:00
Wow, they added a USB C power input to the small base camera through the cage, that's awesome, now if they could do the same thing but add a 3.5mm mic input that would be perfect.

just adding a 3.5 mm jack wouldn't do the trick, It would have to convert it to digital audio as well. One of the dev's posted a replay to a question I had and he said the action 2 only supports digital audio.
2021-11-2
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-2 08:37
just adding a 3.5 mm jack wouldn't do the trick, It would have to convert it to digital audio as well. One of the dev's posted a replay to a question I had and he said the action 2 only supports digital audio.

Yep, but they could easily add a DAC to a cage or for that fact another version of a battery module.
I would hope at some point DJI releases another battery module that has a 3.5mm jack, then we woudn't even need an adapter etc.
2021-11-6
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

snorkel Posted at 11-6 13:36
Yep, but they could easily add a DAC to a cage or for that fact another version of a battery module.
I would hope at some point DJI releases another battery module that has a 3.5mm jack, then we woudn't even need an adapter etc.

The only way DJI will release additional modules for the Action 2 is if it is successful as a product.  One way of doing that sounds like it would be to release the pin outs for the connector as it'll help to create a userbase/community for this product.
2021-11-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I’ve been studying the pictures of the Tilta cage and maybe I’m over looking something but I’m not seeing how the usb c port of the cage makes a connection to any of the modules. I’m sure they have something figured out though.
2021-11-6
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-6 15:01
I’ve been studying the pictures of the Tilta cage and maybe I’m over looking something but I’m not seeing how the usb c port of the cage makes a connection to any of the modules. I’m sure they have something figured out though.

The small one must be using the pins on the bottom of the main cam module.
Not sure how they are doing it with the full cage though.   
It might only be for power with no data transfer.  Have to wait and see.
2021-11-6
Use props
John Evans
New

Australia

Perhaps beaten to market by SmallRig with their new cage for the camera unit with optional charging mount. Some other accessories as well. Check the SmallRig website.
2021-12-28
Use props
John Evans
New

Australia

Perhaps beaten to market by SmallRig with their new cage for the camera unit with optional charging mount. Some other accessories as well. Check the SmallRig web site.
2021-12-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2022-1-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Manual is here - scroll down a bit for English.

https://tilta.com/wp-content/upl ... -Action-2-EN-ZH.pdf
2022-1-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Still no release date??
2022-1-5
Use props
djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

IftiBashir Posted at 1-5 07:30
Still no release date??

See here:
https://tilta.us18.list-manage.c ... 14&e=5d269fe2b8
2022-1-5
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S Posted at 1-5 08:33
See here:
https://tilta.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fb792affba665763d06bac2b3&id=66b4aff914&e=5d269fe2b8

Yep - now available for pre-order in various configurations - along with some filters!
2022-1-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the link!
Was hope for a full kit with both dual module and single camera module cage in the one kit - doe sthe full kit include both options??
https://tilta.com/shop/shock-abs ... -action-2-dji-gray/

2022-1-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 1-5 11:17
Thanks for the link!
Was hope for a full kit with both dual module and single camera module cage in the one kit - doe sthe full kit include both options??
https://tilta.com/shop/shock-absorbing-camera-cage-kit-for-dji-osmo-action-2-dji-gray/

From the part numbers it seems like the kit is for the dual modules only. The single camera cage unit is a separate purchase. Tempted to preorder…. But the smallrig cage looks good too!! Lol
2022-1-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've ordered the dual cage as I rarely use the camera module on its own (being fussy about having stereo sound)..  I've also ordered the UV filter for protection of the lens. Indeed, although the site is confusing, the single cage is a separate purchase.  In Australian dollars including shipping these things are not cheap, I have to say, but perhaps they are priced to match the camera...  
2022-1-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if that USB-C pass through for power also allows direct PC connection, or whether an external mic can be connected?

If its simply a matter of extending the pins, then I don't see why not??
Alternatively, it could be that the processing power for these functions lay within the extension module itself and not the camera - hence they will only work via the connected module......?
2022-1-6
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Still trying to decide between the Tilta cage or the SmallRig cage!
2022-1-6
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 1-6 05:05
Still trying to decide between the Tilta cage or the SmallRig cage!

Tilta has a shockproof element built in - depending on which model you get ...
2022-1-6
Use props
djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The shipping starts.
2022-1-14
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mine is en route!
2022-1-14
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ulanzi have also released cages for the DJI Action 2 as well now......
2022-1-15
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok so have my Tilta cage, as well as a Ulanzi cage.

The Tilta is definitely higher quality - you get what you pay for. The cages - both single and dual - are very nicely constructed and work well. The side two-way locks are really nice and work wonderfuly well. The Shock Absorbing Frame is a pure hassle though - to put on and remove etc. You also cannot press the camera module or the display module buttons to either start and stop capture as they are covered by the frame - so definitely need a remote or the app alongside.I can see it being useful for high vibration or high speed scenarios, but otherwise RockSteady is more then adequate - buy it only if you have a real need for it and prepare for some fidgeting every time you need to install and uninstall it!

The Ulanzi cage is really nice too. Fit and finish are perfect. I like the way you can use the same cage for both single module and dual module setups. Also the base is magnetic, meaning no extra plate to attach like the Tilta version. A nice touch is the pass through pins - when in single camera cage setup, not only can you charge directly with a USB cable (like the Tilta), you can also attach the display or power module directly to the bottom and charge or offload footage etc, no need to take the single camera out of the cage at all!

I am in the process of creating detailed reviews of all kit and will upload full review videos very soon!!
2022-1-31
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 2021-11-6 15:01

The bottom of the cage has some brass "connectors" which marry up with the pinouts on the actual camera.
If you look at the right hand diagram on page 10 of the manual you'll see it ...

https://tilta.com/wp-content/upl ... -Action-2-EN-ZH.pdf
2022-1-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mine too - stuck somewhere in China for a couple of weeks...
2022-1-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mine has now arrived and I'd rate it a strong "do not buy" - I spent half an hour trying to get my camera & screen module into the basic cage and only once succeeded.  It's just too tight a fit to close the latches, which themselves are fiddly beyond belief and appear somewhat delicate - there's a tiny spring in there somewhere and a miniscule locking pin.  Having tried the shockmount outer part simply by holding it in place without assembling the pile of tny parts, indeed you can't then operate the camera other than by voice (or by the not-yet-available remote, or by the app which no longer functions on my phones).  I've packed it all away - I'd never have the patience to use it.  Well, I've installed the UV filter - but for that outlay, only ending up with a UV filter is a bit disappointing.
2022-2-2
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-2 21:37
Mine has now arrived and I'd rate it a strong "do not buy" - I spent half an hour trying to get my camera & screen module into the basic cage and only once succeeded.  It's just too tight a fit to close the latches, which themselves are fiddly beyond belief and appear somewhat delicate - there's a tiny spring in there somewhere and a miniscule locking pin.  Having tried the shockmount outer part simply by holding it in place without assembling the pile of tny parts, indeed you can't then operate the camera other than by voice (or by the not-yet-available remote, or by the app which no longer functions on my phones).  I've packed it all away - I'd never have the patience to use it.  Well, I've installed the UV filter - but for that outlay, only ending up with a UV filter is a bit disappointing.

I hear you!

Getting my cameras in the cages was Ok for me - seemed to fit and work fine.
But I agree with the shock frame - its very fiddley to get the camera in or out - especially if you want to try to use the security clips too, which makes it very frustrating! And yes - no access to buttons in this configuration either!!

Ive uploaded video reviews here : https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D771%26typeid%3D771

I've just taken delivery of the Ulanzi metal cage too - I'll get a video of that created after Ive tested it too ;)
2022-2-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The Ulanzi seems less sexy but more practical - and radically cheaper!  I just tried once more to fit the Tilta cage to the camera/screen combo, and it simply doesn't fit - the cage is too small by about the thickness of a human hair, but that's enough to prevent the catches locking.
2022-2-3
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-3 06:24
The Ulanzi seems less sexy but more practical - and radically cheaper!  I just tried once more to fit the Tilta cage to the camera/screen combo, and it simply doesn't fit - the cage is too small by about the thickness of a human hair, but that's enough to prevent the catches locking.

The Ulanzi also has a cold shoe mounting point on both sides - good for lights and mic's etc. Best of all it also has pass through pins at the bottom of the cage - so if you have just the camera module alone in the cage, you can attach a USB-C cable for charging (like the Tilta), but as the base is magnetic you can actually attach the display/power module directly to the bottom for the cage, and the camera module see's it as being directly connected! It makes using the system much easier!

I'll edit my review video soon - it'll be much clearer in that!
2022-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules