In camera digital zoom can have an advantage over zoom in post.
499 5 2021-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Conventional wisdom is that digital zoom in a camera is pointless because if you wanted to use digital zoom at all, you can simply do it when you are editing.

In this video, at 7'24" Tamara Gabriel demontrates that in-camera digital zoom can be better than post production digital zoom - she zooms into a dark area and immediately the Action 2 changes the exposure to suit the reframed image, and the dark area immediately becomes lighter.  During editing, you'd have to process the image in several ways to get the same effect.

2021-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-11-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is another benefit to using digital zoom in some camera's.
(not sure if the A2 has this though).
Some can utilize a smaller portion of the sensor to get digital zoom and still remain the amount of pixels used.
(abeit losing lens resolution, but that is another matter)
2021-11-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-3 00:42
There is another benefit to using digital zoom in some camera's.
(not sure if the A2 has this though).
Some can utilize a smaller portion of the sensor to get digital zoom and still remain the amount of pixels used.

Is this the kind of technique they use with the Pocket 2 digital zoom? When I zoom in 1080p mode in Pocket 2, it doesn't seem to lose quality (at least not in a clearly visible manner when looking at it with just bare eyes).

I would argue that in Pocket 2's case, using the camera's own zoom is a better choice.
2021-11-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 11-3 04:36
Is this the kind of technique they use with the Pocket 2 digital zoom? When I zoom in 1080p mode in Pocket 2, it doesn't seem to lose quality (at least not in a clearly visible manner when looking at it with just bare eyes).

I would argue that in Pocket 2's case, using the camera's own zoom is a better choice.

I think it does.
2021-11-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  
2021-11-3
Use props
Advanced