Second Time Out - Complete Loss Of Control
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Just back in from trying the second flight with this P3P.  I took a friend out to the football field at a school just outside town, to show him how simple it was to handle basic flight.  

After going down my checklist, doing calibration and making sure everything checked out.  I decided to show him how simple it was to just use Auto-Takeoff to get to a hover.

I slide the button on the iPad, "the home point has been updated, take-off", the P3P immediately goes to full power and promptly flips over on the ground.  Absolutely zero control from the App.  I hand off the TX to my buddy, grab the P3P by the landing gear and finally get to the battery to pull it out.  Press/quick release/press and hold does not shut the bird down.  Fortunately, the only apparent damage is to props.

This system was updated to 1.26 on 6/16/2015.  It flew on 6/18/2015 with no problems.  It's been in its case since then, until I took it out this morning to charge the TX and one of the batteries.  Nothing else was changed.

Now the App says NO MC DATA ACCELEROMETER FAILED.  Told me to shut the drone off and restart.  Did that several times.  Told me to check connections on the gimbal.  Checked them.  Removed the gimbal to unplug and plug it back in - all to no avail.

Tried to do the update on the bird again and it failed, saving it already had that version of the firmware.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm one of those with firmware issues.  There's simply no other explanation at this point.

Very disappointed at this point.  Knowing what DJI "Support" is like makes it no better.

2015-8-1
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

You possibly have a stuck accelerometer. This is something that can happen with a sudden impact.

Turn on the drone, remote, and Pilot App. Go into the the settings and find the IMU calibrations.

You should see numbers changing when you move the drone around. One (most likely) will be stuck.

You need to smack the chassis in the right direction to "unstick it". This is where you need to smack, (might be a combination of smacks, if it's stuck in more than one axis).

Stuck value - where to smack:
low negative X - back
high positive X - front
low negative Y - left (nose pointing away from u)
high positive Y - right (nose pointing away from u)
low negative Z - bottom
high positive Z - top
And give it a good smack, not a girly smack.
2015-8-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-8-2 04:24
You possibly have a stuck accelerometer. This is something that can happen with a sudden impact.

Tu ...

Thanks Bob.  Tried is and am now trying to re-calibrate.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Fingers crossed
2015-8-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

"An unknown error occurred."
Shut it down.  I'll try later to see if it works once cooled.
2015-8-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you turn VPS off?

I never use auto-takeoff or auto-land....no reason to, although it may be cool to watch.

I suspect a VPS error - which now may have caused others. Obviously do multiple IMU calibrations and turn off VPS - see if it can get back to normal. I hope so.
2015-8-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Does your check list include checking all visible connectors, cables, motor screws? Maybe calibrating compass in the wrong environment is actually worse!! Chi the mid values and if they are between the recommended setting then you should not recalibrate. For example if you go somewhere new and are standing on a rock that it's a lot of iron, u are at the beach with a lot of iron in  the sand or standing on an open field with some sort of magnetic anomaly!! By all means do recalibrate but if needed and if you are aware of your surroundings. Easiest way is to know where 0degrees north is and compare it to your pilot app and an actual compas.,
2015-8-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-2 05:26
Does your check list include checking all visible connectors, cables, motor screws? Maybe calibratin ...

Yes.  Full checks.

I appreciate your input but this is exactly the football field I flew from the first time.  They don't even have lights yet.  It's roughly a mile and a half from any other structure.  No magnetic issues, no power lines above ground, literally, no anything.

It was safe to flew last time out - nothing changed.

This is not an issue of grass - take-off, as before was off the Microcopter case.

I've now done multiple calibrations.  All fail.  It was suggested to cool it down then try.  Done.  As am I.  I'll get with DJI Monday.
2015-8-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2015-8-2 06:00
Yes.  Full checks.

I appreciate your input but this is exactly the football field I flew from the  ...

I am sorry for your troubles, this is how i did mine, see if there are any differences with yours.

I made an absolutely level surface on my table using a big chopping board
once i had my level surface, i made sure the p3 was as cold as i could get it. i have an ac unit in basement so i put it directly under it for 30 mins
i then put it on the flat surface and turned it on
very quickly i went to imu cal and started the cal. making sure there are no movements or vibrations by me or my rugrats
once that was finished i did a gimble cal
then went out in middle of a field got my compass and made sure it read right.
didnt have anything metallic on me or near p3, left my car like 50 feet away.
then and only then i did compass cal, once done i checked the mod values to be sure
i do not recal compass everytime as i believe that is a real problem. i check the mod values and chk the compass reading on the app map and if all is correct then i let compass be.

hope all goes well for you
2015-8-1
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Don't use auto takeoff or land. Vps is probably compromised and that stuff needs it to work properly.
2015-8-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

Tried again a few moments ago.  No joy.  IMU calibration will still not complete.  Tried the smacking suggested that has worked for others, but not for me so far.  Still trying again once I get it cooled down enough in front of the A/C again.

Acceleration (g):
x:  -16.02
y:  0.33
z:  -1.02
Mod:  16.06

Can't clear it no matter what I try.
2015-8-2
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

I am completely stunned!  I'm up and running again.

suqsid.bobmail

After following your suggestion of a good "smack" in the appropriate location on the bird with my hand several times to no avail, I recalled reading on one of the forums, of a user that like me, had no success.  He then tried "a good smack" with a rubber mallet.

Having nothing to lose in my eyes, I decided to grab a rubber mallet and give it a couple thumps and try the IMU calibration again.

SUCCESS!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.   Special thanks to suqsid.bobmail.  You're dead on the money with your suggestions and locations.  
2015-8-2
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Now just make sure to stop using auto take off and land, and turn off VPS until they have a firmware that fixes these issues. If your nervous about landing it then hand catch it. There are multiple videos to teach you how to do it properly. Glad you got yours working again, mine was having the same type of problem as yours and its back up in the air too.
2015-8-2
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2015-8-2 21:00
Now just make sure to stop using auto take off and land, and turn off VPS until they have a firmware ...

I appreciate your input.  I used auto-takeoff once on my first flight to see how it worked.  It worked fine.  I did find I could take off more smoothly myself.  I was only using it to show my buddy how it worked - since I "knew" it worked fine.

Guess not.....

As to the VPS, I'll turn it off.  flying the first time, I didn't see any problem whatsoever so I had no reason to turn it off.  Following this experience and your observation, that may have something to do with that issue.

Thanks.
2015-8-2
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2015-8-2 21:00
Now just make sure to stop using auto take off and land, and turn off VPS until they have a firmware ...

VPS was not enabled.
2015-8-2
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

knupla2 Posted at 2015-8-2 19:52
Tried again a few moments ago.  No joy.  IMU calibration will still not complete.  Tried the smackin ...

I'm glad it worked.
You can see that the X value is at max -16 value and permanently locked. Caveman clubbing ironically is the only fix to this precision machine.
2015-8-2
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-8-2 22:01
I'm glad it worked.
You can see that the X value is at max -16 value and permanently locked. Cave ...

Amazing isn't it.  High end technology that takes a $2 rubber mallet to get running again.  Maybe DJI should include the mallets ---- nah......
2015-8-2
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
United States

Just back in from checking it out - 3 batteries worth.  Mostly just cruising around getting the feel of it again.  Found some adjustments to be made but frankly, it's better now than it was.

Happy camper here.
2015-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules