Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,
if anyone tries adapters like this one, lets post the results to this thread so we know if any of them work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also keep in mind these adapters will require a  TRRS to TRS adapter for TRS mics.

Also they will likely only record in Mono but I don't know that for sure.

2021-11-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there snorkel. Good day and thank you for posting these information. Since this is a 3rd party accessory for the DJI Action 2, I hope that our fellow DJI members who have purchased the said Headphone Audio Adapter can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter and inquiry. Thank you.
2021-11-3
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just happened to think last night about a USB C hub I bought for my ipad air 4 last night and found that I can use my saramonic shotgun mic with TRRS cable and the Action 2 would record audio with this setup. I tried with TRS cable and it did not work. This USB C hub is a bit big for this purpose but it does show that devices that convert analog audio output over to digital input should work. I messaged the seller prior to trying it and just asked if it did convert analog to digital audio over the 3.5 mm audio jack and much to my surprise, they answered almost immediately that it did so I gave it a try and it worked. I didn't check whether the audio was stereo or mono. I'm assuming mono since the mic I was using is a single mic configuration. Now I need to find one small enough for this purpose. Here is a  link the said USB C hub if anyone wants to read the specs on it. I doubt anyone would want to use it for this purpose though because like I said, it is pretty big compared to the Action 2.

Falwedi 12 in 1 USB-C hub
2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Partial Success with this adapter(TRS MIC works with adapter cable, PD (power deilivery) does not work):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works with a TRS mic with TRRS to TRS adapter cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power delivery and MIC do not work at the same time.
The mic works great, sounds really good, I used a EDUTIGE ETM-001 Microphone - Omnidirectional 3.5mm 3-Pole(TRS) Microphone

So it looks like DJI could get these working if they implement the USB PD protocol.

When I plug in the adapter and then the mic the mic icon shows up and works as it should, plug in the power and that takes precedence.
The description of the adapter does say if the device does not support USB PD (power delivery) you can't use both at the same time.

Update: the PD and mic do work on my Galaxy s21 phone without issue, so it might be just a firmware issue on why they both don't work on the Action 2

2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Screen shot showing mic icon, no power pass thru though
20211104_164734.jpg
2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That dongle I linked to earlier works for both power and microphone simultaneously. Here are a couple of pics of it setup and showing the microphone icon.

2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Plunking around amazon and I found this:
Possible Audio adapter that might work for Action2

I'm thinking of trying this one out to see if it'll work for simultaneous microphone and charging.
2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-4 16:21
Plunking around amazon and I found this:
Possible Audio adapter that might work for Action2

Did you check that it's not charging the built in camera battery from the battery/screen module?  I had to click on the icon to see what one was actively charging.

There has to be one out there that would work for both in a small form factor.
2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jody, I can get mine to show the charge indicator and the mic icon but it's charging the onboard camera battery from the battery/screen module.
Click the battery icon to be sure what battery is charging.
2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 11-4 16:39
Did you check that it's not charging the built in camera battery from the battery/screen module?  I had to click on the icon to see what one was actively charging.

There has to be one out there that would work for both in a small form factor.

Quite sure it was charging off the wall charger I was using. I also just tried it with a linearflux hypercharge 100w pd battery bank and it too would charge through that dongle. The one I'm using I think is way too big for this purpose. It would be nice to find one thats just a couple of short cables one 3.5 mm and one USB-C that would plug into the camera and work for this purpose.
2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-4 16:52
Quite sure it was charging off the wall charger I was using. I also just tried it with a linearflux hypercharge 100w pd battery bank and it too would charge through that dongle. The one I'm using I think is way too big for this purpose. It would be nice to find one thats just a couple of short cables one 3.5 mm and one USB-C that would plug into the camera and work for this purpose.

hmm I looked at the specs of your splitter and it says PD 3.0, maybe the one I have is 3.1?   
maybe the A2 is using a older version of usb PD?
Did you click the battery icon and did it show the lightning bolt on both batteries?

2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 11-4 16:58
hmm I looked at the specs of your splitter and it says PD 3.0, maybe the one I have is 3.1?   
Did you click the battery icon and did it show the lightning bolt on both batteries?

That's how I'm quite certain it was charging by checking the charging status of the front touchscreen module itself.
2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 11-4 16:58
hmm I looked at the specs of your splitter and it says PD 3.0, maybe the one I have is 3.1?   
Did you click the battery icon and did it show the lightning bolt on both batteries?

Here’s a pic of the front touch screen charging status while connected in the same setup

2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i'm going to try this one next it specifically says PD 3.0 so maybe that is the key:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GYR ... ef_=chk_typ_imgToDp
2021-11-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'll mention here that we do know the audio-technica ATR2xUSB does provide mono mic and stereo headphone support on separate input and output connectors, but it doesn't help with powering.
2021-11-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-4 17:05
Here’s a pic of the front touch screen charging status while connected in the same setup

[view_image]

Jody, yep yours does work :-)
I wonder if the adapter needs pd 3.0.
The one I tried today doesn't say if it's 2.0 or 3.0.
2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 11-4 19:19
Jody, yep yours does work :-)
I wonder if the adapter needs pd 3.0.
The one I tried today doesn't say if it's 2.0 or 3.0.

I'm not sure about the version of PD that would be required. I've looked at the adapter you linked to and that would be awesome if it works. That would be about the size that I would like. The one I have, I wouldn't mind using in a cage  situation if I were filming indoors, but for some of my outdoor activities its just too big.
2021-11-5
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 11-4 17:07
i'm going to try this one next it specifically says PD 3.0 so maybe that is the key:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GYRH6YM?psc=1&smid=A1TS6O8GBQYSD6&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Well, this one does not work with power at the same time.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GYR ... ef_=chk_typ_imgToDp
mic works great and when you plug in the power it switches to power and disables the mic and vise versa.
2021-11-6
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I’m wondering if that I’v one being listed for headphones makes a difference. Probably not, but a thought none the less.
2021-11-6
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-6 16:21
I’m wondering if that I’v one being listed for headphones makes a difference. Probably not, but a thought none the less.

If it says headphones it always works with a TRRS Mic or a TRRS to TRS adapter cable.
2021-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Someone on an audio forum mentioned this, which looks like the ultimate solution and a very handy piece of kit to have in the general toolbox -but... it doesn't seem to have a USB power input so it won't satisfy everone here.  Note that is autosenses the connector (TRRS, TRS, etc etc) and - it takes stereo mics, or two mono mics.

Ordering now...

https://rode.com/interfaces-and-mixers/ai-micro#module_1
2021-11-8
Use props
Uncle Longbeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 295 ft
United Kingdom

ai-micro seams to be a bit expensive as well ;)

With my try-outs I was successful with the cheapo adapter https://amzn.to/3kEB6Wy and I can connect trrs sets to that with mic working as intended:

But then, I want to connect my cheap but good TRS lav to that and ...  no luck. I already tried three different trrs to trs adapters, also trrs lav and nothing works. Any recommendations?
2022-5-5
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Following this thread as it would be so great if we could identify an adapter that would allow for pass-through power & an external microphone.  Crossing my fingers we stumble across one or maybe even if it's something that could be updated with firmware to allow for this with the already numerous adapters out there.  
2022-5-6
Use props
Uncle Longbeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 295 ft
United Kingdom

On top of everything else we said here;  what is a case here is the fact that there is some sort of software check on what is connected to the camera. I have USB-C to trrs adapter and if I will connect that adapter to Action 2 and to that adapter I connect any trrs apple standard compatible mobile earphone/mic set - the mic is working,  as well as the earphones (when you play recorded vids). Checked with 3 different sets, and also usb-c sets and all work like a charm. But when instead of those sets I connect a trrs microphone only (which is working well on plenty of other devices including Huawei and Ipad) - it doesn't work at all. I also tried to connect a trs lav mic through another adapter - which is also working on other devices, but not on DJI. So basically speaking all the connections are correct but DJI dislike impedance or whatever else there and makes a decision not to work! Extremely annoying thing.
Knowing that, I'm pretty sure all depends on firmware...
2022-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules