Ronin 4D 8K ProRes RAW on M1 Max MacBook Pro & FCP
1376 7 2021-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here's a video that may be useful to people looking into the Ronin 4D or any DJI ProRes RAW capable recording devices.

This is one of the DJI 8K ProRes RAW clips with some variations of filters playing in FCP on an M1 Max MacBook Pro (32GB, 32 GPU Core, 1TB Storage)

Cheers,
Dave.

2021-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks amazing.
How is the rendering time?
2021-11-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-5 00:04
That looks amazing.
How is the rendering time?

It’s seriously fast. Faster than real-time when not using any FX. I’ll do a video.

Cheers,
Dave.
2021-11-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 11-5 06:26
It’s seriously fast. Faster than real-time when not using any FX. I’ll do a video.

Cheers,

Nice.
I'm quite interested in the performance with color grading  / titles etc.
Because that is a realistic usecase.
2021-11-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-5 06:38
Nice.
I'm quite interested in the performance with color grading  / titles etc.
Because that is a realistic usecase.

That’s actually a very unrealistic user case scenario for testing any encoder.

The problem with what you consider to be a ‘typical user case’ is that it’s not the same for the next person and it’s not testing the encoder but the CPU and GPU.

For instance, someone loads up a crap load of noise reduction, that’s just gonna hammer the CPU and GPU and bring the whole system to a halt. This will then mean the encoder itself is waiting for the buffer and doesn’t show the speed the of buffer, rather the strain on the CPU and GPU.

Next person doesn’t use noise reduction but loads of colouring and masking, again same problem but this time the timeline and main video buffer are acting different to user case one but once again doesn’t show the encoder speed but rather the buffer fill rate.

This is why when people ask for ‘real world’ examples, it’s only real world to whoever is doing the exact same thing and not real world for, in this instance, the encoder.

Don’t forget, the encoder here on M1 Max and Pro is separate tech to the CPU and GPU and does have a measurable performance level, which can be measured when it’s not waiting for the video/frame buffer to fill up and feed it.

2021-11-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 11-5 06:55
That’s actually a very unrealistic user case scenario for testing any encoder.

The problem with what you consider to be a ‘typical user case’ is that it’s not the same for the next person and it’s not testing the encoder but the CPU and GPU.

I know, every project is different.
But still.
I'm interested in how it handles it all.
2021-11-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-5 07:06
I know, every project is different.
But still.
I'm interested in how it handles it all.

One again, that’s not testing the encoder it’s testing the entire system for specific uses.

I’d suggest watching a lot of YouTube videos, I doubt very much that you’ll get your answers from any one video.
2021-11-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 11-5 07:29
One again, that’s not testing the encoder it’s testing the entire system for specific uses.

I’d suggest watching a lot of YouTube videos, I doubt very much that you’ll get your answers from any one video.

Ok.
I think you can make good comparisons if you leave the rest equal and only change the workhorse (laptop, Macbook, whatever) .
But I don't have an M1 mac here.
So I can't.
2021-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules