1048 8 2021-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Helllo,
I had a strange format accident today. I was hiking and keeping the cam unit in my pocket when not using it. At some point, I took it from my pocket, when I turned it on, the first thing I saw was the yellow storage icon,  then the format confirmation page, then it formatted the memory. All  that in super fast sequence, without me touching the screen! Maybe some  dirt/sweat on the display could have been understood as touches by the unit? I lost a few videos, but not a big deal. But  it is scary if it happens after a full day adventure... Maybe the Format function could be placed elsewhere or better protected.
I saw on Youtube someone also had a format accident, but it seems he had the cam on while in his pocket, so kind of different, except for the fact that the Format function may be too easlly accessible.

2021-11-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've not had that to happen, but it has crossed my mind that it could easily happen. I think, like you said, putting the format option in a more secure place and even adding confirmation requests to it.
2021-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A YouTuber, somenone well known, had a similar accident.  But he may have been working with earlier firmware because he said that it was caused by having options on the same place on the screen, but now they are not in the same place.  I suppose confirming format with a long press instead of a tap might reduce accidents?
2021-11-5
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

My firmware is 01.01.5.10
2021-11-5
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I had again a near-miss recently. Again during a hike, take the camera, turn it on, first thing I saw: the screen with the yellow icon of the memory and the red button 'Format' ready to be pressed. Fortunately this time it did go any further spontaneously. But if it happens again, I may consider stopping using the cam.
2021-12-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yaman-Python Posted at 11-5 05:54
My firmware is 01.01.5.10

Firmware: v01.01.08.10 is the current version.  Try updating.
2021-12-12
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Thanks for the comment. I had the latest firmware. I updated the day after that firmware was released. And the new firmware did not bring anything new for this topic.
2021-12-12
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive never experienced this issue.
Have you tried re-applying the firmware update manually?
2021-12-13
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I had the 2 events with 2 different firmwares, The first time with 01.01.5.10, the second with 01.01.08.10. It is not a firmware-related problem. That Youtuber cited in the 3rd post may have had a pre-release version of the product, and his problem was different anyway, so if a firmware update may have fixed his problem, it does not fix that reported by me here.
To summarize (read my 1st post for details), it looks like maybe some sweat or invisible wet dirt on the  screen may be interpreted by the cam as swipes and touches when the cam is turned on and because the Format function is just 1 swipe and 3 touches away from initial state after being ON, it can happen accidentally. and it did happen once for me, and almost in a second case.
I bought the cam a day after release and used in many tests and about once a week on average in actual hiking activities (2 are on youtube now; if you wish the links, I can provide), so that is a lot of usage. The event (accidental formatting) is a low probability one, however if it happens it is a disaster. In the 2 cases, it happened after the cam had been in my pocket for a while, and sweating a bit from the exercise, though I did not notice liquids on the surface of the cam when it happened.
The solution: bury the format function deeper in the menu.
2021-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules