897 19 2021-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dnddad324
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Drone noob here....

My very first drone was a cheap toy drone that ended up lost in the woods. It was less than $30 so no big loss.

My second drone was a not so cheap drone that advertised well and even had good reviews but after returning the first one....losing the second....and finally returning the third one, I realized that I was dealing with unreliable brand.

After doing lots and lots of research, as a noob on a limited budget, the DJI Mini 2 seems to be the best choice....

....until looking in to the DJI Fly app.

From what I can see, I will need to spend several hundred dollars on a phone that supports the DJI Fly app....add that to the cost of the DJI Mini 2 (looking at the Fly More package) and the money tree is starting to look very bare. FTR....Android user here and definitely not looking to switch to Apple.

Also, the fact that it is not available on Google Play and that you have to shut down security for apps not supported on Google Play has me very leery. I've scanned the forums and found multiple 'reasons' why it's not on Google Play but I've yet to find anything official from DJI themselves.

I really don't want to have to spend $500+ on a phone and $600 for the Mini 2 Fly More...that makes it an investment that far exceeds the 'entry level/beginner' drone label.

Am I missing something? I really would love to purchase the Mini 2 as it seems the best on the market according to my research. But the whole app/phone thing is making me want to continue my research. Any help from the community would be great.
2021-11-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Don't worry about the app. It is good. You can find very capable devices in the $100 range if you look. Woot and EBay are good places to look.
2021-11-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Apart from switching to iPhone for the best experience.   You could buy something like the tripletek tablet.
2021-11-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Heres an example

2021-11-7
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

I get your point, you shouldn't have to buy a device to operate a device.
Some not listed work fine, it's a crap shoot if yours will or not.  
Get it try it, if it doesn't work as advertised, return it, returns are easy.

You state budget, again I feel ya.   If I'm going to invest in another nice phone, may as well just get the smart controller, https://www.dji.com/smart-controller  (is that by design?)

DJI as you see, does not put any effort into compatibility listings.  Other electronics can scan your device and tell you if it will work or not, ya know?  Their focus is not on adding features, it's on coming out with what is next.  They leave a lot to be desired, and I doubt will be drone king in 5 years.
2021-11-7
Use props
orden
New

United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-7 07:17
Don't worry about the app. It is good. You can find very capable devices in the $100 range if you look. Woot and EBay are good places to look.

Hi Mobilehomer, can you give us noobs some pointers.  Like dnddad324 I'm an android user and not looking to change over to Apple.  I've spent most of the afternoon searching for either a cheap mobile or maybe even an 8" tablet?  I've found it really difficult to pin down system requirements.  DJI only offer Android 6 or above, plus a 64 bit processor.  Elsewhere I've seen a min 4 GB RAM is required.  The devices DJI recommends seem very limited.  I tried to side load the 1.5.0 apk on to my 64bit 2GB RAM Galaxy Tab A with no joy.  Can't understand why DJI seem so keen to keep their cards so close to their chest when it comes to system requirements for android.  Or have I missed something?
2021-11-7
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

orden Posted at 11-7 10:33
Hi Mobilehomer, can you give us noobs some pointers.  Like dnddad324 I'm an android user and not looking to change over to Apple.  I've spent most of the afternoon searching for either a cheap mobile or maybe even an 8" tablet?  I've found it really difficult to pin down system requirements.  DJI only offer Android 6 or above, plus a 64 bit processor.  Elsewhere I've seen a min 4 GB RAM is required.  The devices DJI recommends seem very limited.  I tried to side load the 1.5.0 apk on to my 64bit 2GB RAM Galaxy Tab A with no joy.  Can't understand why DJI seem so keen to keep their cards so close to their chest when it comes to system requirements for android.  Or have I missed something?

You'll need the tablet mount DJI sells.
https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... oller-tablet-holder
Not wanting my cell phone to be used while flying, I went this route, and has worked as well as allowed (their app has had hiccups).
2021-11-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

orden Posted at 11-7 10:33

Here is a sample of what is out there. Look on Ebay. and Woot

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/ ... t_lnd_cat_elec_2_50

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-L ... _t1_B094Q89NKH?th=1
I have it loaded on my S21 Ultra, Tab A, Galaxy S6 Active, Tab S6 Lite all with zero problem and work great. The Tab A is a little slow processor, but flies fine.
I would recommend any of these.

2021-11-7
Use props
EnjoyFlying
lvl.3
United States

FYI - it runs fine on my Oneplus N200 which os a $200 device and even FREE from T-Mobile.  DJI Fly v1.4.4
2021-11-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Second hand Samsung S6 phone here, £60 (maybe less) and £30? for a 128Gb one with a cracked screen corner, both via ebay, both work fine with everything up to 1.4.8,
I have just installed 1.5 on the 128Gb but haven't used it yet.
The screen's a bit small but....I am s skin flint ad begrudge paying 1/2 the price of the drone for a phone that will only be used as a screen device.

Regarding installation.
Down load the apk to your computer, copy it to the phone's download folder and then open the apk via the phones folder browser. I get only one security warning that way and the exemption needed to allow the installation lasts for only the installation being attempted.
You have to authorise it each time you install the app from scratch.
Updates see to succeed with out any authorisations being needed.
2021-11-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dnddad324. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For reference I will post a link where in you can find the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ) application  and where in you can download the DJI Fly application for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you.

2021-11-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm an avid Android fan.  I use a Samsung Tab S6 as I wanted a bigger display.  I was able to find a really good one in mint condition on Swappa.  

What mobile device are you currently using?  
2021-11-8
Use props
fans0dd36c74
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-8 06:29
I'm an avid Android fan.  I use a Samsung Tab S6 as I wanted a bigger display.  I was able to find a really good one in mint condition on Swappa.  

What mobile device are you currently using?

A very cheap android phone LOL!!! It serves it's purpose but will not run the DJI Fly app....it handles the Tello app very well though I must say.
NOT SURE WHY MY USERNAME CHANGED...but I'm the OP, dnddad324.
2021-11-13
Use props
fans0dd36c74
Second Officer
United States

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I will definitely be getting the Mini 2 right after the holidays.

In the meantime, I went out and purchased the Tello. It had come up when I was researching affordable drones but kept moving on because of it's limitations. I'm in New Hampshire and the weather has been very mild for this time of the year and it was killing me not having something to fly. To be honest, after my disastrous experience with drones thus far, I'm surprised I didn't lose interest in droning. Looking at cheaper drones, just to appease my drone withdrawals until I get my Mini 2, I kept coming across the Tello. I didn't realize DJI's technology was behind the Tello.

Well, needless to say, I'm now the proud owner of a Tello. For a 'toy' drone, it really exceeded my expectations....and it also set my decision for the Mini 2 in stone.

Again.....thank you, everyone, for your input.   
PS NOT SURE WHY MY USERNAME CHANGED...but I'm the OP, dnddad324.
2021-11-13
Use props
Popeye1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 511722 ft

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-7 09:10
Apart from switching to iPhone for the best experience.   You could buy something like the tripletek tablet.

As he said, on limited budget, would this come within the price range of someone who has limited budget??

2021-11-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look at the Samsung Tab S2 9.7",  its still a very capable tablet and can be got for as little as £75 GBP, i have about 5 or 6 of them  for the drone and for my smart home, they tend to fall in the £100 to £150 range but i have bought 2 in the past for £75 so a bargain can be had, keep an eye on your local FB pages
2021-11-13
Use props
DVDB66
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1294764 ft
Austria

I was a noob one year ago and now I just finished a feature documentary (for public TV, not a hobby thing) with lots of images filmed with the Mini 2 (I had bought the fly more combo, definitely worth it). The App is just fine, you will get used to it quickly. Go for it. the only thing I would recommend getting are good ND filters, such as the ones from Freewell. If what you're after is IMAGE, the Mini 2 is a no-brainer. You will quickly forget all the hobbyist gibberish about stats and data and specs and all that. NOBODY needs more drone than this (sure, pathways and flight track programming would be awesome but that's the compromise that comes with the low cost). The Mini 2 shoots 4k in 25P or 30P at 100Mbit, which is international standard for professional broadcast.  
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Popeye1 Posted at 11-13 12:58
As he said, on limited budget, would this come within the price range of someone who has limited budget??

I think in America they are a lot cheaper than that.
2021-11-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans0dd36c74 Posted at 11-13 09:24
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I will definitely be getting the Mini 2 right after the holidays.

Congrats on deciding on the Mini 2.  The Tello will get you buy until you have the Mini 2 in hand.   
2021-11-14
Use props
fans61aeafb4
Second Officer
United States

So, after owning the Tello for a week, this happened....

After getting the Tello and then going to a friend's house who recently got his first (non-DJI) drone and needed help getting set up.....I really, really had to get my Mini 2.

I went with mobilehomer's advice and just got the Mini 2 and dealt with the app after.

While I have always been an Android user with a distaste for Apple products, I ended up getting an iphone SE (2020). While the SE isn't on the compatibility list, looking at the specs, it was the same as the iphone 11 but with a very basic camera. After seeing all the problems Android users have been having with the most recent dji fly app, I thought it would be easier to just get Apple.

Zero regrets. DJI Fly works awesome on the iphone SE (2020) and I absolutely love my Mini 2!!!

Hope this helps anyone else who is trying to make a similar decision.
PS Original poster here, dnddad324, still not sure why my username keeps changing.....
2021-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules