DJI Pocket 2 - EV Meter
3149 5 2021-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

I've done a lot of experimenting with DJI Pocket 2. I've recently done an experiment, where I used the following standard settings to video record:
  • Resolution: 4k
  • FPS: 30
  • Shutter Speed: 1/60
  • ISO: 100
  • White Balance: 5500
  • ND Filter: PolarPro ND32
  • Normal color profile

I did however notice the following EV meter readings:
  • Camera is facing the sun (0 degrees): -0.3 EV
  • Camera is facing 90 degrees from sun, clockwise: -0.7 EV
  • Camera is facing 180 degrees from sun, clockwise: -0.7 EV
  • Camera is facing 270 degrees from sun, clockwise: -1 EV

My goals is to get the EV to 0. My ND32 filter could only take me to thse EV values. The ND64 filter would have taken me to similar values, but on the positive. In any case, as you can see, the EV varies depepnding on how the camera is rotated relative to the sun. To complicate matters, during my test, there were some places that had real strong shadows due to the buildings and trees, and my EV meter in those areas even reached -3.

In the 2 photos below, I really like the exposure on the left photo, but on the right photo, where there's a very dense shadow from the buildings and trees, everything in the shadow's area becomes really underexposed.

Me facing the sun

Me facing the sun
Copy of 2021-11-07_15-33-26.jpg

How have you dealt with these issues while video recording? I'm thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to keep the shutter speed (and maybe even the white balance) on Auto. Moreover, would you recommend underexposing or overexposing a video recording?

Thanks!
2021-11-7
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Traditionally, mages can only resolve detail over 7 f-stops from whitest white to blackest black. Professional videographers deal with this when they can control the scene by using reflectors or fill light for the shadows. When human control is beyond them, they expose for the area with most important details. In your case, this is your option.

I used the word Tradionally because when shooting still images, technology advances the last 20 years allows for HDR, high dynamic range. This involves multiple images, some overexposed to capture detail in the shadows and some underexposed to add detail to highlights. A single image is created combining these multiple images throwing out the over and under exposed areas.
2021-11-8
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 11-8 04:26
Traditionally, mages can only resolve detail over 7 f-stops from whitest white to blackest black. Professional videographers deal with this when they can control the scene by using reflectors or fill light for the shadows. When human control is beyond them, they expose for the area with most important details. In your case, this is your option.

I used the word Tradionally because when shooting still images, technology advances the last 20 years allows for HDR, high dynamic range. This involves multiple images, some overexposed to capture detail in the shadows and some underexposed to add detail to highlights. A single image is created combining these multiple images throwing out the over and under exposed areas.

I see. The way I see it, one of my options would be to plan/expose each scene more carefully, as you mentioned, which is not an option for me, as I do vlogging, and changing the exposure settings for each scene would defeat the purpose. Another option is to shoot raw, and then in post, make changes to those scenes with heavy shadows. I do wish the Pocket 2 HDR worked as you described, but I'm afraid it's more of a marketing gimmick, and I won't use it for now.
2021-11-9
Use props
Mgozer
lvl.4
Switzerland

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-9 16:28
I see. The way I see it, one of my options would be to plan/expose each scene more carefully, as you mentioned, which is not an option for me, as I do vlogging, and changing the exposure settings for each scene would defeat the purpose. Another option is to shoot raw, and then in post, make changes to those scenes with heavy shadows. I do wish the Pocket 2 HDR worked as you described, but I'm afraid it's more of a marketing gimmick, and I won't use it for now.

Considering your need, maybe the best solution would be to set the iso to auto.
But you will have to accept a very grainy image at iso above 400.

Have you tried to keep Face Track enabled during vlog? I think it should set the face as the spot metering point, but I'm not sure.
2021-11-9
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Mgozer Posted at 11-9 22:58
Considering your need, maybe the best solution would be to set the iso to auto.
But you will have to accept a very grainy image at iso above 400.

Just wrapped up my last day of daylight tests. Your suggestion to auto the ISO was great! Until now, I had the ISO on manual. Here are my new, final settings:

ND Filters
Resolution: 4K 30FPS
ISO AutoMax6400 (This needs testing at low light. Might limit it to 800 or 1600)
Shutter speed: 1/60
White Balance: Auto
Color Profile: Normal
Follow mode
Fast follow
2021-11-12
Use props
Mgozer
lvl.4
Italy

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-12 22:36
Just wrapped up my last day of daylight tests. Your suggestion to auto the ISO was great! Until now, I had the ISO on manual. Here are my new, final settings:

ND Filters

I'm glad it helped.
Now it takes you to fine the sweet spot for the maximum Iso value.
2021-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules