Mavic 3. Disappointed by footage of Zoom feature so far...
2031 5 2021-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
27 litres
lvl.1

Australia

I currently own a Mavic 2 Pro, and a friend of mine has a Mavic 2 Zoom. I have used both and can see advantages and disadvantages in each.
So the idea that the Mavic 3 would combine both models into 1 was fantastic and I started saving my pennies!

However, I'm a bit disappointed by the zoom feature from what I've seen so far.
1/2" sensors are nothing new, both the original Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom used them and the image quality was fine.
So on the Mavic 3, why, when the zoom lense has a 7x optical zoom, does the main sensor zoom in the first 4x, then the optical zoom comes in to play?

If the telephoto lense is set up in a way that 1x is equivalent in focal length to 4x on the main lense, then I sort of get it. But the image quality at higher zooms refutes this as being the case, as beyond 7x zoom, the image quality drops significantly. Not to mention that the transition between lenses is not smooth.

You should be able to select either lense to zoom with as a user defined option.
Nothing beats an optical zoom. Digital zooms are always lossy. And if jumping between two lenses mid shot is not seamless (particularly during video) don't do it!

You should be able to select the telephoto lense, then zoom 1x to 7x optical (optical should always be the preferred way to zoom when it's available), then utilise hybrid optical/digital to 28x at all steps above 7x. From what I've seen in other drones (Air 2S for example), and even my last 3 or 4 phones, digital can make infinate steps to max zoom, so this shouldn't be a problem and would give the best possible image quality at all times.

Equally, you should be able to select, or remain in the main lense and utilise it's digital zoom 1x to 4x as a separate option.
(with such a large 5.1 lense, 2x digital zoom would be excellent quality (if not quite lossless) at 4k, 3x zoom would be virtually lossless at 1080p).

From official DJI footage I've seen, there is a marked step between 4x and what then appears to be 7x. It appears to be a change in lenses (ie, main lense to 4 x digital, then switch to telephoto for zoom from 4x upwards). Because of this change in lense mid-zoom (compounded with no compensation for differing focal lengths), the zoom is far from seamless. In a video, that step pauses, jumps lenses, changes focal length, then loses image quality as it zooms in further. In a video it looks ugly.

I certainly hope this can be fixed with firmaware updates, as the idea of two drones in one is very compelling, despite the disappointingly high price.

2021-11-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From the reviews I’ve seen the zoom is being marketed for looking around and scout locations rather than for filming. It was a disappointment for me too.
2021-11-8
Use props
27 litres
lvl.1

Australia

Going to all the effort of putting two lenses in one drone, then making the telephoto lense impractical for zoom shots of wildlife or the like (which the Mavic 2 Zoom excels at) at decent quality strikes me as a bit silly.

They've had 20 months to look at Autel Evo 2 8k and then make an inferior product? I don't believe it.
The 8k uses a 1/2" sensor too, and can produce lossless 4k at 4x zoom, and lossless 1080p at 6x zoom...

Come on DJI, tell me this isn't so!
2021-11-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Several users are reporting this issue with the new Mavic 3.  I'm sure DJI could have done much better.  
2021-11-8
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have been going back and forth about ordering the M3 for several days now. I've owned several DJI drones, including the S800, I1, M1 and still own the M2 and have been looking forward to the M3's zoom capabilities but the whole hybrid zoom (digital and optical) just doesn't do it for me. As far as I understand it, the optical zoom is at 7x (with the 12MP tele lens) and all the other zoom ratios are digital (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure I'd ever use the zoom if that's the case. I know DJi is calling exploring mode but again I still don't know if I'd use it. Even If the main camera could optically zoom in just 2x I'd buy it in a second.
2021-11-14
Use props
27 litres
lvl.1

Australia

I won't alter my original post as it's a demonstration on the confusion from both reviewers and DJI marketing over just how their zoom worked at the start...
Yes 1x to 4x digital main lense (and I think the main lense drops to 4K before zoom starts - could be wrong)
Second lense is telephoto (not zoom) fixed optically at 7x.
7x to 28x are digital second lense.
With regular controller, the zoom appears to be stepped (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 7x, 14x, 28x).
Pro controller appears to have a more linear zoom functionality.

Now, I don't have an issue with digital zooms, if you start from a very high pixel count they can be lossless to a point (just look at the Evo 2 6K and 8K).
DJI just don't seem to have done that.
12MP/4K 1/2" sensor... The original 2016 Mavic Pro had that. I don't know if Autel have employed tricky electronic techniques to get 8K on their 1/2" sensor like the Air 2 did (for 48MP), but there must be a better than 12MP 1/2" sensor available.
And only 20MP on the 2/3rds sensor?
2021-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules