1564 20 2021-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

It might look like a silly question because it has bigger sensor etc but I recently bought Action 2 that has the same size (i believe just the same sensor) sensor and I compared the footage of my old Pocket with footage from Action 2 and I must say old Pocket video has more details and definition than one from Action 2 under the same conditions. I was thinking about upgrading to Pocket 2 but it it has nothing to offer than trendy marketing features I'd better wait for something else to get released.
2021-11-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have Osmo Pocket and DJI Pocket 2.  I passed on the Osmo Action 2 and waiting to see what the Pocket 3 has to offer.  We haven't had any firmware updates in quite a while on the Pocket 2 so maybe a Pocket 3 is not to far away (as in months not year).
2021-11-8
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-8 06:57
I have Osmo Pocket and DJI Pocket 2.  I passed on the Osmo Action 2 and wiating to see what the Pocket 3 has to offer.  We haven't had any firmware updates in quite a while on the Pocket 2 so maybe a Pocket 3 is not to far away (as in months not year).

Did you compare video quality of both Pockets? what is your opinion?
2021-11-8
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

I also have both Pocket 2 and Osmo Pocket and, regarding image quality and color fidelty I prefer Osmo Pocket.
2021-11-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

This is a debated issue, and there seem to be polarizing opinions.

I haven't noticed a clear difference when comparing video quality of the Osmo Pocket and Pocket 2 on YouTube videos. Though I don't own a Osmo Pocket myself, so maybe I'm not the one to be the judge on that.

However, where the Pocket 2 clearly is better IMHO is the recording voice quality. I can clearly hear the difference in videos between the Osmo Pocket and the Pocket 2. This is especially evident when comparing the quality of the internal microphones. The difference probably is at least somewhat mitigated when using external microphones, but even connecting those is probably easier on the Pocket 2.

I have heard opinions that the firmware support and tracking are better on the original. Can't say about the tracking, but it does feel like they kind of abandoned the firmware updates pretty abruptly with the Pocket 2.

So, it probably depends what you are expecting and looking for. I am pretty okay with the Pocket 2, but there are people who find the first one more suitable for them.
2021-11-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HGDC84 Posted at 11-8 12:04
This is a debated issue, and there seem to be polarizing opinions.

I haven't noticed a clear difference when comparing video quality of the Osmo Pocket and Pocket 2 on YouTube videos. Though I don't own a Osmo Pocket myself, so maybe I'm not the one to be the judge on that.

Indeed, my Pocket 1 tends to sit in a drawer because my Pocket 2 has best-in-class audio, and for me that's hugely important.  And now I also have the Action 2 with the same mics (it seems) so I'm a happy bunny.  I've never really compared the image quality of these devices.  I'd rather just use them!
2021-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there utkin. Good day and thank you for posting these information. For reference, I will post a DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ) where in can compare the specifications of the DJI Osmo Pocket to the DJI Pocket 2. Thank you.

2021-11-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

utkin Posted at 11-8 07:18
Did you compare video quality of both Pockets? what is your opinion?

My experience is that video is much better on original Pocket.  Hands down audio is better on the Pocket 2.  So now I'm hoping DJI can come out with a Pocket 3 that shines in both video and audio areas.  
2021-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well, the specs are better. More wide field of view is nice (at least for me).
I think they also improved the video handling a bit.
So yes, it is better.
2021-11-9
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-8 19:27
Hello there utkin. Good day and thank you for posting these information. For reference, I will post a DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-op?site=brandsite&from=nav ) where in can compare the specifications of the DJI Osmo Pocket to the DJI Pocket 2. Thank you.

[view_image]

With all respect the question was about quality not about spec. If you put bigger but cheaper sensor it does not mean a gadget will have better characteristics. Sensor size, pixels and other marketing stuff used to fool consumers may have nothing to do with quality
2021-11-9
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-9 03:54
My experience is that video is much better on original Pocket.  Hands down audio is better on the Pocket 2.  So now I'm hoping DJI can come out with a Pocket 3 that shines in both video and audio areas.

Thank you for confirmation. So the new sensor did not improve anything why people would buy new version. It looks like I will wait for other products (not only DJI) to come. Original Pocket just had to be the best in the line just because it was the first gimbaled mini camera. Now there are others and DJI can only compete by sensor size leaving true quality parameters like PSNR unpublished. Unfortunately without that this remains trial and error.  
2021-11-9
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I use both too. P1 image somehow looks better. P2 sound is better.

Anyways I use both. They have own strengths.

Go with P2. Both are good lilliputs.
2021-11-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

utkin Posted at 11-9 06:24
Thank you for confirmation. So the new sensor did not improve anything why people would buy new version. It looks like I will wait for other products (not only DJI) to come. Original Pocket just had to be the best in the line just because it was the first gimbaled mini camera. Now there are others and DJI can only compete by sensor size leaving true quality parameters like PSNR unpublished. Unfortunately without that this remains trial and error.

You're very welcome.    Best of luck in finding the product that best fits your needs.
2021-11-10
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi utkin, Pocket2 sensor improves a lot: pixel size, focus speed, color profile, noise in low light. all improved.

If u compare with the video on youtube , finding the difference is a little.
Then pocket 1 is sufficient indeed.

P.S. Pocket2 fov is a lot better for selfie, audio quality and wireless mic helps with vlog senario. joystick thing. zoom thing. auto exposure thing all updated.
it solves alot complains from pocket1.

2021-11-10
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-10 23:21
Hi utkin, Pocket2 sensor improves a lot: pixel size, focus speed, color profile, noise in low light. all improved.

If u compare with the video on youtube , finding the difference is a little.

Dji-ytao
I'm glad to read your comment, since I understand you are one of the technician in the R&D team.

I understand that the sensor of Pocket 2 is better compared to the one in Osmo Pocket, but to my (and not only mine) eyes, the color profile and the image noise are worst than those in Osmo Pocket.
I agree on the focus speed, faster that Osmo Pocket.

I also agree that the fov of Pocket 2 is better for selfies, not necessary for other shots (it has a little barrel distortion indeed) and the audio is better that Osmo Pocket.Regarding the vlog usage, I can also say that the face tracking is worst if compared to the one in the Osmo Pocket.

I don't agree on the joystick as an improvement if compared to the wheel of the Osmo Pocket, since it is a digital input and also its "clicks" can be heard in the recordings.
The digital zoom is a nice addition, even if nothing that cannot be done in post processing.

Auto exposure is not exactly ok, since it happens to have periodic drops in certain situations.
In addition I don't see improvements on dynamic range if compared to Osmo Pocket.

What is giving me a lot of trouble with Pocket 2, if compared to Osmo Pocket, is the Auto White Balance. I cannot achieve realistic colors out of it; sometimes too blue, sometimes too red and sometimes even too yellow.
Skin color in particular gets really weird in indoor shots, or in low light situations.

Finally, I agree with you regarding the better hardware of the Pocket 2, which is why I was an enthusiastic early adopter, but I am disappointed with the current firmware, because I believe that there is still a lot to fix and still a lot of unexpressed potential.
2021-11-11
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Mgozer Posted at 11-11 00:10
Dji-ytao
I'm glad to read your comment, since I understand you are one of the technician in the R&D team.

For the joystick, it is a tradeoff between the size and function. the wheel does works well, just too big.

the auto exposure of pocket2 considers more on people/face.
e.x. if you are near the window, the pocket 1 gives exposure to the environment of scene out of window, making faces pretty dark.

For the white balance,  No camera sensor can handle  white balance in all the cases right. so action2 uses a white balance sensor, which can truly solve the problem.

Techs keep improving, we gather all the possible tech at that moment, and build a product.
2021-11-11
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-10 23:21

If u compare with the video on youtube , finding the difference is a little.

with all respect focus speed has nothing to do with the sensor as it is rather firmware feature.
But my original question was about image quality and as far as I can see i am not alone thinking that image quality dropped in Pocket 2 versus original Osmo Pocket.
2021-11-11
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

utkin Posted at 11-11 06:22
with all respect focus speed has nothing to do with the sensor as it is rather firmware feature.
But my original question was about image quality and as far as I can see i am not alone thinking that image quality dropped in Pocket 2 versus original Osmo Pocket.

I totally respect your opinion. I just explain from aspect of the tech method:
for the focus thing
op1 is limited of the sensor pd point, which has to combine pdaf and cdaf to auto focus. ( we did optimize many scenarios to make it sufficient. )
for op2 , pdaf points are much reliable. so not much complain of focus issues.

2021-11-11
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Personally, I find the joystick adequate, but I do understand some people might not like the feel and the possibility of the clicks being recorded. While I have no personal experience about the scroll wheel controller, and while it can be frustrating that it has to be bought separately, I at least find it good that we at least have the option to use it also with the Pocket 2.
2021-11-11
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Also, I think the built-in digital zoom is good, as if I shoot in 1080p and zoom in post-processing, the quality will degrade. But with the Pocket 2's zoom, I see no noticeable loss in quality when zooming.
2021-11-11
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

...regarding noise level...
2021-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules