Future of the Phantom
906 12 2021-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viralsaber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141070 ft
United States

I've read that the Phantom line is dead and that the Mavic is its replacement, I've also seen quotes from DJI representatives saying this isn't true.  At this point I'm not optimistic that there will be a Phantom 5, I'm curious what others think and if we could get a statement from DJI on the matter.

2021-11-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI will not make an official statement.
2021-11-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What have you seen suggesting it wasn't true?
Can you point me towards it?

It's obvious that DJI lost interest in the Phantom line long ago.
The P4 pro is now five years old.
If there was ever going to be a P5, it would be getting old now.
2021-11-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

If there was a new phantom, it would have a decent way to go to beat the M3, i think the M3 will be the flagship consumer drone until the M4 or sommat in between...
2021-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Viralsaber. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As of the moment we do not have any information with DJI's future Drones with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2021-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think most people would prefer the portability of the Mavics over the phantom.
2021-11-9
Use props
MassDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 894642 ft
United States

Agree with DAFlys, but I prefer the image quality of the P4P over any Mavic, especially with low light.  
2021-11-9
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

From the specks listed the Mavic 3 has a 4/3" CMOS sensor with a digital shutter and a max bit rate of 200 mbps verses the Phantom's 1" CMOS, manual shutter and a max bitrate of 100 mbps.  I'd be interested to see a comparison of RAW 4K video shot with each so we can see what the difference is.  Obviously having a higher bitrate on the Mavic means your recording more information but the smaller CMOS sensor means your picture quality isn't going to be as good as the Phantom's.  

It's been 5 years since the P4P came out and from what I can tell the Mavic 3 is at best equal to it, certainly it doesn't meet expectations of those of us who've been waiting for a successor to the P4P.   
2021-11-10
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Viralsaber Posted at 11-10 07:09
From the specks listed the Mavic 3 has a 4/3" CMOS sensor with a digital shutter and a max bit rate of 200 mbps verses the Phantom's 1" CMOS, manual shutter and a max bitrate of 100 mbps.  I'd be interested to see a comparison of RAW 4K video shot with each so we can see what the difference is.  Obviously having a higher bitrate on the Mavic means your recording more information but the smaller CMOS sensor means your picture quality isn't going to be as good as the Phantom's.  

It's been 5 years since the P4P came out and from what I can tell the Mavic 3 is at best equal to it, certainly it doesn't meet expectations of those of us who've been waiting for a successor to the P4P.

Flew my Phantom 4 Pro recently and was still amazed at the picture quality this five years old bird puts out. I don't see how Mavic 3 would surpass its picture quality on a five years old drone with a 1" sensor.   
2021-11-10
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 01:02
I think most people would prefer the portability of the Mavics over the phantom.

Not at the expense of picture quality.
2021-11-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Viralsaber Posted at 11-10 09:56
Not at the expense of picture quality.

I would accept worse picture quality for portability.     If I was earning real money from the drone Id get the inspire.  
2021-11-10
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-10 10:03
I would accept worse picture quality for portability.     If I was earning real money from the drone Id get the inspire.

I doubt that's the sentiment of most people who are using the Phantom since pictures and video is what there selling, not the comfort of the drone pilot.  

I've been using the P4P professionally since it came out, I looked at the Inspire but there was really no need to make such an expensive jump because the P4P's picture quality was so good.  It's also quite portable, I can bring it on an airplane as a carryon, you can't do that with an Inspire.
2021-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Viralsaber Posted at 11-10 07:09

but the smaller CMOS sensor means your picture quality isn't going to be as good as the Phantom's

The flaw in your argument is that a 4/3 sensor has an area approximately double that of a 1 inch sensor.
Now what was it that you were complaining about?

size.jpg
2021-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules