Problems with Interpolation of Timelapse Movement
1647 3 2021-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BerlinFilm
lvl.1
Germany

Hi, I would like to use the Ronin RS2 for some motion control and time lapse videos. My camera is a Sony a7s III.
The problem is that when I set up a camera movement in the Ronin app that is diagonal and not purely horizontal or vertical, the movement of the gimbal between the two points is not smooth. It seems that the interpolation of the desired path is not working properly. Instead of a straight line, the gimbal moves in a staircase-like path.
I tried different settings in both time-lapse mode and track mode. When the movement is fast enough in track mode, or when the intervals are large in timelapse mode, the effect becomes less visible, but it is still there.
I have attached two test videos that I recorded.
Is there any chance that this problem can be solved, for example by a future firmware update?
I would be very happy if someone could help me with this problem.
Many thanks and greetings from Germany

2021-11-8
Use props
WonkyTripod
lvl.1
Ireland

I have the same problem and no solution. Even if its smooth with no diagonal setting, thats then very limited.
2021-11-12
Use props
BerlinFilm
lvl.1
Germany

WonkyTripod Posted at 11-12 05:41
I have the same problem and no solution. Even if its smooth with no diagonal setting, thats then very limited.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I`ve also read your answers in the thread "Jerky Timelapses". Last week I shot a time lapse over approximately 30 minutes with a left to right pan (approx. 120 degree). I carfully made sure that the movement was purely horizontally. I am happy with the smooth result.
I also did a vertical tilt (bottom to top) in summer over a similar duration and the result also showed no problematic jerks.
However, as we both discovered, as soon as there is the slightest diagonal movement in the motion path the shots are not usable at all which is really frustrating.
I have not yet looked into the dji developer environment. Maybe there could be a workaround by programming? That would take a lot of effort and time though.
The best thing would be if there would come a firmeware update. I might write to the DJI support with the problem.
At the moment the ronin is not usable for more complex motion-controlled shots at all, in my opinion.

2021-11-16
Use props
pawelPL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 773596 ft
Poland

I also of course found same problem. Bad interpolation. DJI it must be easy fix, please try to fix it as 3 pan axis timelapse would be nice add to gimbal.
2021-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules