2285 16 2021-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 320043 ft
Croatia

No mechanial shutter on M3

Very disapointed. When I saw price leak I was sure that at that price tag there must be a mechanical shutter. Well, I was wrong. For us photogrammetry guys, P4P is still drone to fly. I hope that in Enterprise version of M3 there will be version for mappers and photogrammetry guys.

Fingers crossed
2021-11-8
Use props
Mharz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4759560 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was in the same boat until Nikon released a camera that reads the sensor so fast it's impossible to tell the difference between mechanical and electronic.  The latest Nikon flagship camera, considered by some to be the best 35 mm pro camera in the world has no shutter.  And yes they did testing for the rolling shutter effect and it's just not there.  On racing cars, on a track, at speed using the vertical posts behind the cars.
The Sony A1 also a top of the line flagship 35 mm camera has near ZERO rolling shutter when using electronic shutter mode.

So it's possible to get mechanical shutter quality without a shutter.  Does the M3P have that kinda speed?  I don't know yet but I'll tell you in a couple of days.

2021-11-8
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

Mharz Posted at 11-8 15:57
I was in the same boat until Nikon released a camera that reads the sensor so fast it's impossible to tell the difference between mechanical and electronic.  The latest Nikon flagship camera, considered by some to be the best 35 mm pro camera in the world has no shutter.  And yes they did testing for the rolling shutter effect and it's just not there.  On racing cars, on a track, at speed using the vertical posts behind the cars.
The Sony A1 also a top of the line flagship 35 mm camera has near ZERO rolling shutter when using electronic shutter mode.

The Nikon Z9, Sony A9 and A1 series cameras all use stacked sensor technology but it's extremely unlikely the Mavic 3's sensor is using that technology.  Sony have announced a 4/3 sensor using this technology but only a few months ago which is far too late for the Mavic 3 and the 200fps max framerate suggests it's not stacked.  The Air 2 which does use a stacked sensor has a higher 240fps max framerate.
2021-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Pro88Cro. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these information. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you
2021-11-8
Use props
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Croatia

Please consider mechanical shutter in (at least) Enterprise edition. It's not problem for us (pros) to pay extra bucks, but we need (want) P4P upgrade :/
2021-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Disappointed too.
2021-11-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

No mechanial shutter on M3

Must have for Pro use.  

2021-11-9
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Just like the Zenmuse X5S I guess. No pros using that on their Inspire 2s. Not possible.
Thanks for the afternoon laugh
2021-11-9
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnMcL7 Posted at 11-8 18:33
The Nikon Z9, Sony A9 and A1 series cameras all use stacked sensor technology but it's extremely unlikely the Mavic 3's sensor is using that technology.  Sony have announced a 4/3 sensor using this technology but only a few months ago which is far too late for the Mavic 3 and the 200fps max framerate suggests it's not stacked.  The Air 2 which does use a stacked sensor has a higher 240fps max framerate.

The M3 sensor is Sony I'm pretty sure..
2021-11-9
Use props
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Croatia

Nicodema Posted at 11-9 06:12
Just like the Zenmuse X5S I guess. No pros using that on their Inspire 2s. Not possible.
Thanks for the afternoon laugh

Please do your homework before laughing. After you realise why is mechanical shutter must have for photogrammetry you can come back and apologize.
2021-11-9
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Ah, sorry, I wasn't clear. It was Downtown who gave me the laugh. I'm sure you will agree that although photogrammetry professionals like you need a global shutter (ideally mechanical), your group is only a relatively small subset of Professional flyers. Downtown's statement that a mechanical shutter was a must have for pro use sounded to me like "any pro use", hence it made me laugh out loud.

I totally didn't mean to diminish your problem. It does seem bizarre that DJI are still depending on the P4 RTK to satisfy your market sector. I guess the other option could be the Inspire 2 with the Zenmuse X7, but that leaves out the RTK functionality and is obviously a step up in cost and size. Oh and it's out of stock too.

Good luck with getting what you want. I guess in the interim, at least P4 spares are hopefully still fairly cheap. Oh and don't worry I understand why you need global shutter for photogrammetry.
2021-11-9
Use props
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Croatia

RTK is actually not must have (It's good option for mappers only). I'm doing mostly cultural heritage , and I have millions of control points from 3D laser scanner. Inspire 2 with X7 is nice option but I want something more future proof. C2 sticker (EU), mechanical shutter (with better dynamic range than P4P) and more fly time. If M300 + P1 wasn't so bulky would be awesome option...
2021-11-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Pro88Cro Posted at 11-9 13:18
RTK is actually not must have (It's good option for mappers only). I'm doing mostly cultural heritage , and I have millions of control points from 3D laser scanner. Inspire 2 with X7 is nice option but I want something more future proof. C2 sticker (EU), mechanical shutter (with better dynamic range than P4P) and more fly time. If M300 + P1 wasn't so bulky would be awesome option...

If I was you, I would be more concerned about the lifetime of the mechanical shutter.
2021-11-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-9 16:10
If I was you, I would be more concerned about the lifetime of the mechanical shutter.

No kidding. I never had, in the olde days, a 35mm SLR that did not have shutter failure eventually.
2021-11-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-9 18:47
No kidding. I never had, in the olde days, a 35mm SLR that did not have shutter failure eventually.

Yes, in the years past the manufacturer used to list the expected shutter life in the camera's specs. When DJI first indicated they were making a camera with a mechanical shutter, the first thing I did was go looking for a spec on lifetime. I never found one.
2021-11-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-9 21:08
Yes, in the years past the manufacturer used to list the expected shutter life in the camera's specs. When DJI first indicated they were making a camera with a mechanical shutter, the first thing I did was go looking for a spec on lifetime. I never found one.

The best SLR I ever owned was a Bessler 35 Topcon. But it had a very noisy shutter, a very metallic clang when it closed, music to my ears. I lived with that for several years before it died in a magnificent sudden death of the lens assembly. Loose parts everywhere inside ;-).
2021-11-9
Use props
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Croatia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-9 18:47

My P4P have possibly 100.000 photos taken. Still going strong.

I had A6000, I bet with more than 200.000 photos taken - sold it and still going strong today (my friend has it now).

I have A7III - bought at the beginning of the year, and since I made at least 30-40.000 photos and still going strong. Last week I took more than 5.000 photos in 48h.

If it's broken - we buy new one. You cannot expect to earn money with only initial investment.
2021-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules