iPad Mini 6 , 64gb, no cellular. Okay with Air 2S?
6089 10 2021-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keith55
lvl.2
Thailand

Before purchasing an iPad Mini 6, 64gb, I wanted to check if others were successfully using it. I saw in another thread on this forum that someone was having a problem with the mini 5. Neither the mini 5 nor the mini 6 are on the list of supported devices for the DJI Fly app.

Also, I've read a few threads confirming that cellular is not needed. However, the iPads which don't have cellular also don't have GPS.  Is that a problem at all? I'm thinking about situations where the controller is moving. How does the drone know where the controller is if it isn't connected to a GPS? Does the controller have its own GPS unit?
2021-11-8
Use props
bbq4tw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29747 ft
United States

replied to a couple of the mini 5 posts about compatibility (since the only mini that's listed as compatible is the mini 4).  I too ordered a mini 6 wifi model (I went with 256gb though).  It won't arrive until the first week of december so hoping at least one other person is using/has used one and can give feedback so I know whether to cancel my order or if it will be fine.  Doesn't really help you but at least know there's one other person out there that is attempting to use the same setup
2021-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there keith55. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who uses the iPad Mini 6 with 64gb on there DJI Air 2S can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that after checking the said mobile device ( iPad Mini 6 with 64gb ) on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Air 2S and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Air 2S and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the  iPad Mini 6 with 64gb  will be able to work on the DJI Air 2S and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Air 2S. For reference I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Air 2S ( https://www.dji.com/air-2s/downloads ). Thank you.
2021-11-8
Use props
keith55
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-8 21:04
Hello there keith55. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who uses the iPad Mini 6 with 64gb on there DJI Air 2S can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that after checking the said mobile device ( iPad Mini 6 with 64gb ) on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Air 2S and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Air 2S and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the  iPad Mini 6 with 64gb  will be able to work on the DJI Air 2S and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Air 2S. For reference I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Air 2S ( https://www.dji.com/air-2s/downloads ). Thank you.

Yes. I  mentioned in my post that it is not supported. That's why I'm asking others to report their experience.
2021-11-8
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have personal experience with the Mini 6 and the Air2S so I can't personally address that but I will imagine it will work. I can address the lack of GPS in the non-cell Apple stuff.
The biggest function that will be affected is the updating/changing of the RTH spot. And the "actual" map location of the controller/device.
You can normally change it (during flight) to the location of the controller/device as opposed to where it took off from. Without a GPS in the device/tablet, it can't do that since the "regular" controller does NOT have GPS. The Smart Controller does have a GPS.
I am not exactly sure how it determines the location of the controller/device other than estimation and position of the signal between drone and controller and wifi triangulation if enabled and working... as it would using other apps (I don't have the WiFi-only mini5 that I experimented with currently so I can't rely on my memory of the exact operation and icons)  but it can't be as accurate as having the GPS in the device
I hope that makes sense?
2021-11-9
Use props
bbq4tw
lvl.1
United States

jmb63 Posted at 11-9 05:04
I don't have personal experience with the Mini 6 and the Air2S so I can't personally address that but I will imagine it will work. I can address the lack of GPS in the non-cell Apple stuff.
The biggest function that will be affected is the updating/changing of the RTH spot. And the "actual" map location of the controller/device.
You can normally change it (during flight) to the location of the controller/device as opposed to where it took off from. Without a GPS in the device/tablet, it can't do that since the "regular" controller does NOT have GPS. The Smart Controller does have a GPS.

thanks for that information.  Makes me wonder if getting the wifi + cellular version but not adding a data plan just for the GPS would be worth it.  Not sure if the GPS is active though without a data plan
2021-11-9
Use props
keith55
lvl.2
Thailand

jmb63 Posted at 11-9 05:04

Yes. Thanks, that's helpful. It's the situations where the drone needs to know where the controller is that I wasn't sure about.

I found this review on YouTube and he says the combination works fine, although the screen of the iPad is rather dim.

2021-11-9
Use props
bbq4tw
lvl.1
United States

keith55 Posted at 11-9 06:41
Yes. Thanks, that's helpful. It's the situations where the drone needs to know where the controller is that I wasn't sure about.

I found this review on YouTube and he says the combination works fine, although the screen of the iPad is rather dim.

thanks for the video.  Has pretty much given me pause on getting the mini 6 because of the screen brightness.  Will probably continue using my phone until the new smart controller is compatible with the air 2s and pick that up
2021-11-9
Use props
MikeMN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677031 ft
United States

bbq4tw Posted at 11-9 07:03
thanks for the video.  Has pretty much given me pause on getting the mini 6 because of the screen brightness.  Will probably continue using my phone until the new smart controller is compatible with the air 2s and pick that up

bbq4tw - I was considering an ipad also, but have learned on these forums that unless you have a cellular ipad you won't have the map view on the app which is pretty handy (the stock controller itself does not have GPS).  This also means you can't set the new home point as the controller location without GPS so if you fly while moving such as on a boat you won't have that feature.  

One thing I read but can't confirm with experience is that if your ipad device has cellular then you have GPS and you don't necessarily need to purchase a cellular plan.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

2021-12-2
Use props
DougcJohn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1353609 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bit late on reply… normally over on Mavic Fourm.
The iPad Mini 6, is also 6th Gen Mini. works nicely with Fly App, RC & Air2S, Mini2, Air2.
I purchased the 258GB, Cellular 5G, with no data plan, but fully functional GPS as with previous iPads.

Note… all lightening port iPads work, no issues.
The USBC ports is mixed… the 2018 11” has connectivity problems, the 12.9” 2018-2021 no issues, Mini6 no issues, 11” 2021 no issues, 11” 2020 mixed… no issues for some, and others same problems as 2018.

Multiple USBC cables & adapters were tried by many… overwhelmingly the 2018 11” would not connect to Fly App.
Note: There is one Poster that I’m aware of that indicated unable to connect the Mini6.

2022-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules