Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 3 precision landing works
3639 15 2021-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

As the title says. I received my M3 today and immediately (almost) tried a few short flights. On the first flight I rushed it a bit at takeoff. The precision landing did not work, about 6 feet off the landing pad. On the 2nd and 3rd flights I took at least 10 seconds to hover at about 25 feet height and the precision landing worked perfecty, landing in the middle of the pad both times. I did see the corrections as the M3 descended. The M3 did rotate to face the direction at launch. The approach to the landing was interesting, with the M3 descending before getting over the HP. On one flight it started 500 feet from the HP and on another it started about 200 feet from the HP. That may be due to it seeing different trees below on different approach paths.

Another finding is for the downward vision sensor. It seems to have a greater range, up to about 80 feet. It maxes out as usual, but at 83 feet now instead of something less. I see it change as the drone lifts or descends. For some reason it did not work that way on the first flight, jumping from 83 (max) to 35 as it descended to land. The other two flights definitely showed a gradual decrease in the readings from 83 feet down. The manual says 60 feet (18m) limit but I saw it go to 83 feet smoothly, so maybe they are just hedging the spec.

2021-11-9
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How is the footage?
2021-11-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I was just using the stock 4k and default settings. It looks like the A2s and M2p as far as I am concerned. Maybe a little more dynamic range.
2021-11-9
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great to know about the precision landing.  Mine should arrive tomorrow.
2021-11-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GaryDoug. Thank you for sharing these information with us and for your positive feedback for the new DJI Mavic 3. Again, thank you for your valued support and keep flying. .
2021-11-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing Gary.    Congrats on getting the Mavic 3.  
2021-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to hear.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 11-9 14:36
I was just using the stock 4k and default settings. It looks like the A2s and M2p as far as I am concerned. Maybe a little more dynamic range.

I would have been surprised if it was very different.
Same technology behind it.
The bigger sensor should give you a bit more dynamic range and slightly less noise though.
2021-11-11
Use props
Jimerb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1522694 ft
United States

What do you do to initiate a "precision  landing?"  Use the slider icon on the left?
2021-11-12
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing! Glad you got yours. Mine is still in AK.
Nice to know at least *some* of the features are working before January ;)
2021-11-12
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Jimerb Posted at 11-12 16:40
What do you do to initiate a "precision  landing?"  Use the slider icon on the left?

You don't. When You take off with more than 12 sats and go straight up and stay for some seconds in 7 meters above the home point then when You return to home by pressing the return to home button when You are more than five meters from the home point it will make a precision landing.
2021-11-12
Use props
djiuser_4T2uoky4WP57
lvl.2
Flight distance : 397972 ft
Canada

The hovering for 10 secs at 25-30ft definitely makes a difference. But my Mavic 2 does it better, it is so precise it all makes you giggle, like it’s magic.  It’s not a big deal, I still think landing on your own control is great skill, especially when your flying low light or after sunset hyper lapse.
2023-4-16
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_4T2uoky4WP57 Posted at 4-16 14:00
The hovering for 10 secs at 25-30ft definitely makes a difference. But my Mavic 2 does it better, it is so precise it all makes you giggle, like it’s magic.  It’s not a big deal, I still think landing on your own control is great skill, especially when your flying low light or after sunset hyper lapse.

If you check the date, this thread is 2 years old...
2023-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_4T2uoky4WP57 Posted at 4-16 14:00
The hovering for 10 secs at 25-30ft definitely makes a difference. But my Mavic 2 does it better, it is so precise it all makes you giggle, like it’s magic.  It’s not a big deal, I still think landing on your own control is great skill, especially when your flying low light or after sunset hyper lapse.

The hovering for 10 secs at 25-30ft definitely makes a difference.
No hovering is necessary, despite the number of people that suggest it.
All that is required is that the drone climbs vertically to at least 7 metres before moving away.
2023-4-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-16 18:34
The hovering for 10 secs at 25-30ft definitely makes a difference.
No hovering is necessary, despite the number of people that suggest it.
All that is required is that the drone climbs vertically to at least 7 metres before moving away.

"No hovering is necessary, despite the number of people that suggest it."

Empiracle data always wins. I have done both and the hovering always works far better. 4 Mavic drones (MA2, A2s, M2P, M3) in that effort....proved. I think the down sensor needs a stable image. How many Mavic drones do you have again?
2023-4-20
Use props
Drey. I
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

The footage is the best for the price
2023-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now