When will the DJI SDK be updated ?
3575 23 2021-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cynex
lvl.2
Canada

Hi DJI
I currently have a mavic mini (v1) and the Mavic Air 2.  I am using drone link to help with my photogrammetry efforts and I would like to upgrade both to the mini2 (albeit I'm kind of waiting for the v3 announcement) and the Air2S for the upgraded camera (or even the mavic 3 now that it's out), however, neither of these drones are currently supported yet by the DJI SDK. Considering this is my main use for my drones, not having an up to date SDK limits me from upgrading my drone.  I've done manual photogrammetry for a few years now, but automation is really key to getting larger scale scanning complete in a timely fashion.  
What is the expected release cycle of the SDK ?
2021-11-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SDK for Android is set to be released at Christmas.   
2021-11-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is from the roadmap at https://developer.dji.com/user/roadmap/#msdk

Mobile SDK
Estimated Release Time: 2021-12-31
Version: 4.16 Android Version(iOS:To be determined))
New Features
Added support for DJI Mini SE
Confirmed

Supported Product: DJI Mini SE

Supported Platform: Android

Description:Added support for DJI Mini SE.

Added support for DJI Mini 2
Confirmed

Supported ProductJI Mini 2

Description:Added support for DJI Mini 2.

Added support for DJI Air 2S
Confirmed

Supported ProductJI Air 2S

Description:Added support for DJI Air 2S.

Added support for High-Res Grid photo to Matrice 300 RTK
Confirmed

Supported Product: Matrice 300 RTK

Description:Added support for High-Res Grid photo.

Added support for Smart Track to Matrice 300 RTK
Confirmed

Supported Product: Matrice 300 RTK

Description:Added support for Smart Track.

Fixed Bugs
Pending
2021-11-11
Use props
Cynex
lvl.2
Canada

Amazing. Thank you kindly for this update !
2021-11-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-11 01:29
This is from the roadmap at https://developer.dji.com/user/roadmap/#msdk

Mobile SDK

Will be awesome to see the SDK released.  I'm sure Litchi will jump on it quickly.  
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cynex Posted at 11-11 06:43
Amazing. Thank you kindly for this update !

No probs Cynex
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 06:18
Will be awesome to see the SDK released.  I'm sure Litchi will jump on it quickly.

I hope so DT. But remember the Air2 support was super slow as they said the sdk was unstable.
2021-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 07:22
I hope so DT. But remember the Air2 support was super slow as they said the sdk was unstable.

I remember reading comments about that.  Doesn't that reflect back on DJI's developers more than anything else?
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-14 03:42
I remember reading comments about that.  Doesn't that reflect back on DJI's developers more than anything else?

Really they should be using the SDK themselves so it could be released shortly after each update.
2021-11-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 03:57
Really they should be using the SDK themselves so it could be released shortly after each update.

So that begs the question, why is it taking so long to release the SDK for the Mini 2 and Air 2S.  Is there SDK so messed up that they are afraid to release it?  Or are they trying to preclude 3rd parties from monetizing from using it?
2021-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-15 03:13
So that begs the question, why is it taking so long to release the SDK for the Mini 2 and Air 2S.  Is there SDK so messed up that they are afraid to release it?  Or are they trying to preclude 3rd parties from monetizing from using it?

I think they dont want the cost of it anymore.
2021-11-15
Use props
CriticalBen
lvl.1

Belgium

2021-11-16
Use props
Cynex
lvl.2
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 03:57

That would probably not be feasible. The SDK is probably a layer which communicates to the DJI app to control the drone. They develop the app to communicate with the drone, and the sdk to communicate with the app. I could be wrong though - I'm a software dev, but I have no dji sdk experience.

I understand the delay to release the SDK, but the Air2S has been out since April afaik.  That's quite a release lengthy release schedule, but I'm sure dji app features come first, and with the Mavic 3 out now, that would delay things as well as they need to build that support into the app.

off topic - but if someone at DJI sees this it's valid feedback.   I would love to consider the Mavic 3 - but how things have been going it's looking to be a half year to a year out before that's supported by the SDK.  The camera is top notch, albeit I'm not a fan of the zoom camera. The SDK release schedule is concerning though and should to be better synced to release cycles of drones. A few weeks to a month is ok, 6 months to a year is iffy from a consumer point of view if you are looking at something in prosumer automation.  By the time the sdk will be ready, the next drone will be on the horizon.  I scan as a hobby, not a profession, and I want to invest in something with longevity.

On that note -- I would also love it if DJI started making their camera modules more modular.  I'm quite happy with the air 2 in terms of control and reliability - but my heart sank when they released a one inch sensor offshoot just a few months after my purchase with the air2s.  If similar pinouts are used and the hardware inside is the same or similar enough, why not have swappable camera modules or upgrade paths ? I mean -- I fully understand the reason why not --  but with chip shortage and e-waste being a heavy factor in prices recently, having an upgrade path would be a great win for your consumers.
I've watched a few camera replacement videos from crashes, and the process seems relatively straightforward when handled by a certified repair tech.  People would still upgrade drones based on data transfer rates and longer flight times, but as a customer, I feel a little jipped by the air 2, which is advertised at 48 megapixel -- and it sadly is not, just because it saves at 8K resolution doesn't make it's image quality holds up. It's a solid drone -- but the camera left a lot to be desired.  
Clearly this was addressed by the air2s in short order, but it gave me some serious buyers remorse, a remorse that would have been easily remedied by having an upgrade option.

I would love to upgrade my air2 to 2s just in camera alone, and it's not like the hardware isn't there to do it drone wise.
I totally understand it couldn't record video in 5.4K video and I would be limited to 4k@60 by my data transfer / encoding rate, but photos could be supported at native resolution.

2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cynex Posted at 11-16 18:07
That would probably not be feasible. The SDK is probably a layer which communicates to the DJI app to control the drone. They develop the app to communicate with the drone, and the sdk to communicate with the app. I could be wrong though - I'm a software dev, but I have no dji sdk experience.

I understand the delay to release the SDK, but the Air2S has been out since April afaik.  That's quite a release lengthy release schedule, but I'm sure dji app features come first, and with the Mavic 3 out now, that would delay things as well as they need to build that support into the app.

As a developer myself I would write the library to communicate to the drone and then this could easily be deployed as the SDK,  there is no requirement with the DJI SDK to have any DJI apps installed.  In fact you normally have to force quite the DJI apps for the 3rd party stuff to work.
2021-11-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-15 04:43
I think they dont want the cost of it anymore.

That could well be the answer.  
2021-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-17 03:20
That could well be the answer.

I bet the road map doesn't get an update until January.
2021-11-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-17 04:13
I bet the road map doesn't get an update until January.

Odds are definitely in your favor on that prediction.
2021-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-18 05:14
Odds are definitely in your favor on that prediction.

Won’t disagree with you there.  
2021-11-18
Use props
djiuser_iE2nX6mOpiSb
New
United States

Please confirm the SDK will be released on Mini 2 for iOS and provide an estimate on when.  I have the Mini 2 and am considering whether to keep it or not.  I bought recently thinking the SDK would be released, only to find out what was released is for Android only.  I need for iOS.  Please help.
2022-1-2
Use props
djiuser_Juh79xhCApAK
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_iE2nX6mOpiSb Posted at 1-2 18:43
Please confirm the SDK will be released on Mini 2 for iOS and provide an estimate on when.  I have the Mini 2 and am considering whether to keep it or not.  I bought recently thinking the SDK would be released, only to find out what was released is for Android only.  I need for iOS.  Please help.

released today
2022-1-3
Use props
djiuser_sbovVJLULGWo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9688 ft
United Kingdom

IOS SDK not released, its the Android version!
2022-1-10
Use props
sala
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27185 ft
United States

Hi ,I'd like to know if and when DJI is going to release the software update for the air 2s for waypoints since this drone does not have waypoints .Its very sad for $1300 it didnt put waypoints in it .
2022-2-2
Use props
sala
lvl.2
United States

RE: When will the DJI SDK be updated ?

sala Posted at 2-2 14:58
Hi ,I'd like to know if and when DJI is going to release the software update for the air 2s for waypoints since this drone does not have waypoints .Its very sad for $1300 it didnt put waypoints in it .

2022-2-2
Use props
sala
lvl.2
United States

Hi I'd like to know if DJI will have a release for waypoints  sdk  for the air 2s
2022-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules