DJI Fly / Mini 2 / Pixel 3
2377 12 2021-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_gzV83DyJvM34
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17917 ft
Canada

I'll assume that DJI support reads this forum.

I pulled my Mini 2 out this morning after not using it for a few weeks. I decided to fire up the DJI Fly app as there's nothing more annoying than being out and having the app nag you about an update. When I tapped the app, the flash screen appeared and then instantly disappeared (crashed?). This seemed odd so I downloaded the more recent version of the app and installed and it behaved in the same way.

After some investigation on line it seems that the app update is not compatible with my Pixel 3 phone (not to mention that the old apps don't appear to like Android 12, but that's another story.)

This seems to be very poor support from DJI. I've had my phone for fewer than 2 years and am far from ready to update it. It does everything else I require perfectly fine and ran previous versions of the Fly app without a problem. I have reinstalled previous version of the app (they all crash) and don't wish (or feel I should have to) roll my phone back to Android 11. Phones made over the past few years have become so capable that they really don't need to be discarded every two years. New Pixel phones were recently introduced but the upgrades (to me at least) don't seem to necessitate an upgrade. I believe that companies whose products depend on apps that they produce should be taking this into consideration. With older phones having longer lives, they need to realize that the support service for various phones is going to get longer.

Is there any chance that DJI will update to include more phones to its compatibility list? I really expect better support for my Mini 2.
2021-11-10
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

No.  They will suggest what phone you need to buy.  #racket
2021-11-10
Use props
Berty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 991706 ft
Mongolia

The only "solution" seems to be getting a new (or older) phone. I was lucky that we had an old iPhone 6 I could use. Getting a new battery for it and leaving it in the case with my Mini 2 as part of my kit.

As for the Air 2, the iPhone lags out - so I have to use my pixel 3. Of course, the fly app just crashes (it crashed on android 11 for me as well mid flight) so I now use Dronelink to fly my drone.

I had to stick with DJI as we need them for aerial photogrammetry

The drones are great, but the software experience has been terrible. I feel your pain
2021-11-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Rest assured that our DJI R&D Team are continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the DJI Mini 2 and DJI Fly application recommended mobile device list in the future. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-11-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Android 12 is the issue,   roll back to Android 11 and the old app will work like it did before for you.
2021-11-11
Use props
djiuser_gzV83DyJvM34
lvl.2
Canada

Berty Posted at 11-10 20:22
The only "solution" seems to be getting a new (or older) phone. I was lucky that we had an old iPhone 6 I could use. Getting a new battery for it and leaving it in the case with my Mini 2 as part of my kit.

As for the Air 2, the iPhone lags out - so I have to use my pixel 3. Of course, the fly app just crashes (it crashed on android 11 for me as well mid flight) so I now use Dronelink to fly my drone.

Thanks for your comments. I know my phone isn't brand new but I never imagined it was THAT old. I think I will try to roll back to Android 11 and wait to see if the Pixel 3 gets added to the 'will work with' phone list.
2021-11-11
Use props
djiuser_gzV83DyJvM34
lvl.2
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 11-11 01:40
Android 12 is the issue,   roll back to Android 11 and the old app will work like it did before for you.

Thanks for the comment. It is likely the least expensive solution. I'm not actually very happy with Android 12 so it won't be any sacrifice.
2021-11-11
Use props
ChouPigu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 96125 ft
United States

djiuser_gzV83DyJvM34 Posted at 11-11 14:28
Thanks for the comment. It is likely the least expensive solution. I'm not actually very happy with Android 12 so it won't be any sacrifice.

Did you get this resolved?

FYI I have a Pixel 3 with Android 12. Got a Mini 2 for Christmas, and everything seems to be working well.
2021-12-28
Use props
djiuser_gzV83DyJvM34
lvl.2
Canada

ChouPigu Posted at 12-28 11:31
Did you get this resolved?

FYI I have a Pixel 3 with Android 12. Got a Mini 2 for Christmas, and everything seems to be working well.

I've checked the DJI list of phones that should work with the updated app and Android 12. I still don't see the Pixel 3 listed although they do indicate that the Pixel 3 XL can be used with the updated app on Android 3.

Are perhaps using a Pixel XL? I've downgraded my phone to Android 11 and can use an earlier version of the DJI Fly app but would prefer everything to be up-to-date.
2021-12-28
Use props
ChouPigu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 96125 ft
United States

djiuser_gzV83DyJvM34 Posted at 12-28 13:10
I've checked the DJI list of phones that should work with the updated app and Android 12. I still don't see the Pixel 3 listed although they do indicate that the Pixel 3 XL can be used with the updated app on Android 3.

Are perhaps using a Pixel XL? I've downgraded my phone to Android 11 and can use an earlier version of the DJI Fly app but would prefer everything to be up-to-date.

Just a regular Pixel 3 for me. I would actually like to go back to Android 11. I hate 12. lol
2021-12-29
Use props
In the Sky over the Waves
lvl.2
Canada

After my frustration with the Fly app not working on my Pixel 3 phone, it now DOES appear to work with the latest version (1.5.8). I haven't actually flown with it yet but it loaded and connected with the controller and drone without any difficulty. Fingers crossed.
2022-2-1
Use props
In the Sky over the Waves
lvl.2
Canada

After my frustration with the Fly app not working on my Pixel 3 phone, it now DOES appear to work with the latest version (1.5.8). I haven't actually flown with it yet but it loaded and connected with the controller and drone without any difficulty. Fingers crossed.
2022-2-1
Use props
GTS 350
lvl.4

United States

It should work I'm using a Pixel 3a with with OS 12 (I even tried it on an original Pixel with OS 12 and it works) I'm using dji fly 1.5.4 with a mini 2. I've heard mixed reviews on 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 (not a pixel or OS 12 issue just a crappy update) the fly app is pretty pathetic for what could be a great drone. I'll be switching to Litchi since dji can't figure out how to make an app that works well with their hardware.
2022-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules