Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Life preserver" and DIY mount for the M3 ;-)
550 19 2021-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The title says it all. I will use a regular mount once one is available. This one is made from 2 large paper clips and some solder.

M3 custom mount.jpg
2021-11-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GaryDoug. Good day and thank you for sharing this innovative accessory you have placed on your DJI Mavic 3. Just a reminder that since this is a 3rd party accessory for your DJI Mavic 3. We cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2021-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

that doesn’t look very safe if it moves side to side it could take out a prop.
2021-11-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting DIY Gary.  
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-10 23:50
that doesn’t look very safe if it moves side to side it could take out a prop.

It is not moving side to side. It is fastened to the wire section below it.
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-10 22:42
Hello there GaryDoug. Good day and thank you for sharing this innovative accessory you have placed on your DJI Mavic 3. Just a reminder that since this is a 3rd party accessory for your DJI Mavic 3. We cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.

Then how about providing something in the design as it should have been? Or at least provide an accessory. And while we are at it, what is the "3rd party"?
2021-11-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks a little ghetto. Is there not a function in the app to find your drone?
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 11-11 08:08
Looks a little ghetto. Is there not a function in the app to find your drone?

Not the point. If it goes down in the water.... get it? Putting an "X" on a map of a river, ocean or lake does not help much. No replacement or repair even with the Care Refresh package.
2021-11-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-11 08:11
Not the point. If it goes down in the water.... get it? Putting an "X" on a map of a river, ocean or lake does not help much. No replacement or repair even with the Care Refresh package.

I have flown over rivers and lakes plenty of times and yet to put one of my drones into the water. Take it you have experienced a mishap over water? or just being overly cautious. Still looks Ghetto. lol
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 11-11 08:59
I have flown over rivers and lakes plenty of times and yet to put one of my drones into the water. Take it you have experienced a mishap over water? or just being overly cautious. Still looks Ghetto. lol

It's not overly cautious. I fly over water channels almost all the time and am not stupid enough to wait until something untoward happens. $45 to protect a $2400 loss is smart. As for ghetto, I assume you know of an attachment for the Mavic 3, so tell me about that one.
2021-11-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 11-11 10:59
It's not overly cautious. I fly over water channels almost all the time and am not stupid enough to wait until something untoward happens. $45 to protect a $2400 loss is smart. As for ghetto, I assume you know of an attachment for the Mavic 3, so tell me about that one.

Ive never heard of a single drone being saved by this , I wonder if there is actually someone here who has had his/her drone salvaged by this. They do void your warranty, but I’m not certain if your flight log can detect extra weight of this. Your log can detect and record weight of prop guards.
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-11 11:11
Ive never heard of a single drone being saved by this , I wonder if there is actually someone here who has had his/her drone salvaged by this. They do void your warranty, but I’m not certain if your flight log can detect extra weight of this. Your log can detect and record weight of prop guards.

That is because not very many people have them. But...how many drones have you heard of being lost in bodies of bodies? Many, many; and probably 90% could have been recovered with this device. I don't mind losing a Mini at a replacement cost of about $300 on eBay. But I am not losing an M3 at a replacement cost of $2200 (less if a bare drone purchase) if I can avoid it. With this ridiculous new RTH method, I could easily imagine the M3 crashing into sailboat rigging on the way back to the HP.

I have a set of prop guards for the MA2 and they weigh 3.1 ounces. I am pretty sure ones for the M3 would weigh more (they do at 4 ounces). This device complete with DIY mount weighs 0.6 ounces, less than 20% of the prop guards weight. No, the M3 does not detect this device.

Also, why would not the device linked below also void the warrantee? It weighs 4 ounces.
https://store.dji.com/product/dji-mavic-3-propeller-guard

2021-11-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-11 10:59
It's not overly cautious. I fly over water channels almost all the time and am not stupid enough to wait until something untoward happens. $45 to protect a $2400 loss is smart. As for ghetto, I assume you know of an attachment for the Mavic 3, so tell me about that one.

Don't assume anything. I have no news of any attachment for the Mavic 3 that will determine where a drone is located in water at this time. Neither did I suggest there was better. It would seem to me with your statement that you refer to anyone that flys over water without such a device is stupid.
Best of luck and lets hope it does not interfere with your GPS signal at the same time.  Ghetto apparently struck a note.
2021-11-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 11-11 11:38
That is because not very many people have them. But...how many drones have you heard of being lost in bodies of bodies? Many, many; and probably 90% could have been recovered with this device. I don't mind losing a Mini at a replacement cost of about $300 on eBay. But I am not losing an M3 at a replacement cost of $2200 (less if a bare drone purchase) if I can avoid it. With this ridiculous new RTH method, I could easily imagine the M3 crashing into sailboat rigging on the way back to the HP.

I have a set of prop guards for the MA2 and they weigh 3.1 ounces. I am pretty sure ones for the M3 would weigh more (they do at 4 ounces). This device complete with DIY mount weighs 0.6 ounces, less than 20% of the prop guards weight. No, the M3 does not detect this device.

I hear of very few drones lost to water, I would say 95% of drones are crashed and lost on land, water is almost always without any hazards and usually has much less signal interference. I would safely say 95% of lost or crashed drones are down to pilot error , and my remedy for this would always be learn to fly better, I think the cost of this gadget + care refresh 250 + 250 for replacement is a pretty heavy price to pay, you also need the where with all to retrieve and simply spotting that tiny yellow thing on the ocean or even middle of the river will not be guaranteed. So the savings are not as big as you think. I do think investment in flying could benefit a lot more as this would also include flying on the much more treacherous terra ferma . Also consider dji offer 15% discount for a lost drone and 30% discount for a no fault lost drone.
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 11-11 12:43
Don't assume anything. I have no news of any attachment for the Mavic 3 that will determine where a drone is located in water at this time. Neither did I suggest there was better. It would seem to me with your statement that you refer to anyone that flys over water without such a device is stupid.
Best of luck and lets hope it does not interfere with your GPS signal at the same time.  Ghetto apparently struck a note.

Read carefully. I am not referring to the capsule. I am referring to the wire mount. By saying it is ghetto I am guessing you know of an alternative mount. If not, then I don't understand your stance. I would gladly buy a commercial mount made for the M3 but I have found none. I have only found one that claims to fit all drones, but I seriously doubt it will fit the M3.
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-11 12:45
I hear of very few drones lost to water, I would say 95% of drones are crashed and lost on land, water is almost always without any hazards and usually has much less signal interference. I would safely say 95% of lost or crashed drones are down to pilot error , and my remedy for this would always be learn to fly better, I think the cost of this gadget + care refresh 250 + 250 for replacement is a pretty heavy price to pay, you also need the where with all to retrieve and simply spotting that tiny yellow thing on the ocean or even middle of the river will not be guaranteed. So the savings are not as big as you think. I do think investment in flying could benefit a lot more as this would also include flying on the much more treacherous terra ferma . Also consider dji offer 15% discount for a lost drone and 30% discount for a no fault lost drone.

How is the new flawed M3 RTH method anything to do with pilot error? It nearly crashed on it's own in it's maiden flight. I could have easily retrieved it under the ham radio antenna but not in a waterway behind a tall sailboat or shrimper. This is a virtual time bomb.

Also, glad to hear that you have never made any pilot errors. It must be nice to be perfect.
2021-11-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-11 12:46
Read carefully. I am not referring to the capsule. I am referring to the wire mount. By saying it is ghetto I am guessing you know of an alternative mount. If not, then I don't understand your stance. I would gladly buy a commercial mount made for the M3 but I have found none. I have only found one that claims to fit all drones, but I seriously doubt it will fit the M3.

Like I said in post 13.
I do not know of an alternative mount. My stance is simple. A beautiful drone like the Mavic 3 does not deserve to have that device attached to it in that manner that's all.... Learn to take some constructive criticism without calling folks stupid and how to read.
Again best of luck. I hope it works out for you should you go into the canal.
2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 11-11 13:00
Like I said in post 13.
I do not know of an alternative mount. My stance is simple. A beautiful drone like the Mavic 3 does not deserve to have that device attached to it in that manner that's all.... Learn to take some constructive criticism without calling folks stupid and how to read.
Again best of luck. I hope it works out for you should you go into the canal.

"...any attachment for the Mavic 3 that will determine where a drone is located in water ..."
2021-11-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 11-11 12:53
How is the new flawed M3 RTH method anything to do with pilot error? It nearly crashed on it's own in it's maiden flight. I could have easily retrieved it under the ham radio antenna but not in a waterway behind a tall sailboat or shrimper. This is a virtual time bomb.

Also, glad to hear that you have never made any pilot errors. It must be nice to be perfect.

Ive made plenty of pilot errors, so I try to learn from them and improve, I don’t need the latest gimmick to save my drone from my errors. I never said or implied anything about new Rth , my only advice about Rth is what you read in the manual or what all instructors will tell you. Use Rth in emergency or if you are not sure of being able to fly home.

2021-11-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-11 13:27
Ive made plenty of pilot errors, so I try to learn from them and improve, I don’t need the latest gimmick to save my drone from my errors. I never said or implied anything about new Rth , my only advice about Rth is what you read in the manual or what all instructors will tell you. Use Rth in emergency or if you are not sure of being able to fly home.

The new RTH is THE issue now. That is why I am concerned. I do not consider that to be pilot error and yet you can lose the drone because of it. For the first few flights, there have been more disconnects closer to home than with the other drones, some within 1000 feet. I know the probable source, but that coupled with the bad RTH feature = trouble.
2021-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules