Unreliable Osmo Action time lapse cost me 2000 in revenue
730 5 2021-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hank den Drijve
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi,

I was hired to make an animated video containing a high resolution time lapse of a construction site. The recording should cover a few weeks.
I bought 2 DJI Osmo Action cameras and set them up to Timed Photo with an interval of 65 seconds to record onto UHS-1 class 10 SD cards with 128GB of memory, connected to an external power supply.
I tested this at home for a few days and it all seemed to be working fine. Then I took them to the construction site and installed everything.
Every day I checked on the cameras and I always found both Osmo Action cameras counting down visibly on the screen from 65 to 0.

After the construction had finished I took the SD cards home to find both cards only filled with respectively 6102 and 6891 photos, taking up 33 and 40 GB of space.
This covered only the first 4 to 5 days and contained no usable footage at all.
Taking a picture every 65 seconds meant after 17 days both cards should have contained about 22,500 photos taking up about 122 GB.
I had the newest firmware installed, power supplies had been working fine, both cameras seemed to be taking pictures all the time.
Data recovery software made thorough deep scans on both cards but was unable to find anything more on them.
The cameras just seemed to have stopped writing to the SD cards without any reason or notification whatsoever.

The construction itself is finished now and there is no way to redo the time lapse.
I had to cancel the assignment due to the cameras not recording properly and making it unable for me to finish the animation.
Besides the purchase of the cameras I lost 2000 euros in revenue.

What could have happened?
Is there anything I should have done differently?
Is there anything DJI should have done differently?
2021-11-12
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Sorry to hear

https://www.truelook.com/feature ... IibXlRoCx5UQAvD_BwE
2021-11-12
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

That really sucks. Sorry to hear about this extremely unlucky occurrence.
2021-11-12
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I'm really sorry to hear that.

But I have to ask, did you use fake cards with only 64GB or less space instead of 128GB?
2021-11-13
Use props
Hank den Drijve
lvl.1
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 11-13 15:56
But I have to ask, did you use fake cards with only 64GB or less space instead of 128GB?

I don't think so, these were regular UHS-1 class 10 cards from Lexar and Sandisk that I bought at  a photo store. And they stopped at respectively 32.9 and 39.6 GB
2021-11-14
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hank den Drijve Posted at 11-14 01:50
I don't think so, these were regular UHS-1 class 10 cards from Lexar and Sandisk that I bought at  a photo store. And they stopped at respectively 32.9 and 39.6 GB

Ok.
Because often people tend to save some money by buying from ebay/amazon and get fake ones.

You should try put them up again at home or something to see if it still continue to stop, remember to format the cards first.

Hope DJI know a solution.
2021-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules