I think I am about to make a big mistake - am I mad?
889 23 2021-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

They say that to repeat the same thing over and over and to expect a different result is the definition of madness.... Well I think I may be about to prove my madness.

On Black Friday 2018 I bought a DJI Osmo Pocket. I thought I had got a good deal and was really happy until two things happened - I started to discover missing features and bugs.

Now, I did my research beforehand and knew what the OP was capable of, but some things that seemed obvious were missing (not being able to customize and store Story sequences to make simple Motion Control shots possible, for example), but bugs like the horizontal chroma band issue were even more annoying.

Then the real kicker came.... The launch of the DJI Pocket 2... Altogether more capable and at the same price point as the original OP.

But it wasn't the new features that really hurt, it was the fact that as soon as the Pocket 2 appeared, DJI dropped development on the original OP entirely - and that includes bug fixes!

So here I am. black Friday approaching. Rumours of a DJI Mini 3 abound (though the Nov 15 launch seems a bit less likely since the apparent DJI spokesperson denial) and I find myself really really tempted to jump into the drone world with a Mini 2.

I know the MIni 2 is a very capable drone. I know what it is missing that I would like (active track, 4K60, collision sensors) but they are not deal breakers if the Mini 2 price is right.

What IS going to make me feel as though I have been well and truly duped again is if updates for the Mini 2 cease the moment the Mini 3 is out.

(In fact, has the Mini 2 received any updates since the Mini SE was launched?)

I know I will be happy with the Mini 2, but for how long? If it's only a few of months again I'm going to feel pretty stupid.

-N.O.T.

2021-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You've hit on a pattern of DJI.  Cease support of older product to entice you to buy new product.  It's all about the money and not the consumer.  I think a Mini 3 is coming but probably not until Spring 2022.  Just a guess on my part.  I bought a used Mini 2 for a great price and will no doubt buy the Mini 3 when it comes out.  Never ending cycle.  
2021-11-13
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Updates stop as soon as they start working on a new product. The fact that there are no updates for Mini 2 for a while tells me that Mini 3 is in the works, but I guess that it will be released later in 2022. Don't expect any new features for the Mini 2. I would consider moment DJI releases SDK for Mini 2 their unofficial way of saying that this product development had completely stopped. No DJI products receive any meaningful updates after SDK release other than fly safe db updates and maybe some frequency changes to comply with new local laws.
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I was in your position,  Id wait for Mini3,  but expect it to cost more than the mini2.
2021-11-13
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Tuxtard Posted at 11-13 04:49
Updates stop as soon as they start working on a new product. The fact that there are no updates for Mini 2 for a while tells me that Mini 3 is in the works, but I guess that it will be released later in 2022. Don't expect any new features for the Mini 2. I would consider moment DJI releases SDK for Mini 2 their unofficial way of saying that this product development had completely stopped. No DJI products receive any meaningful updates after SDK release other than fly safe db updates and maybe some frequency changes to comply with new local laws.

I'm waiting for them to give the SDK to the public, so then litchi can make stable software/app to fly with.  I haven't flown since May, still waiting for a collective "it's good" from the community, and with every update it seems there are issues.  Now, with the latest release, 1.5, I'm hoping it's stable enough to be compatible and ready to roll.
2021-11-13
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 11-13 04:49
Updates stop as soon as they start working on a new product. The fact that there are no updates for Mini 2 for a while tells me that Mini 3 is in the works, but I guess that it will be released later in 2022. Don't expect any new features for the Mini 2. I would consider moment DJI releases SDK for Mini 2 their unofficial way of saying that this product development had completely stopped. No DJI products receive any meaningful updates after SDK release other than fly safe db updates and maybe some frequency changes to comply with new local laws.

I'm not sure they stop developing for the old hardware as soon as they start work on the next generation - they probably start work on the next generation around the same time the previous generation is released.

In fact, I think there was one firmware release for the OP after the Pocket 2blnwas released, but certainly no more than the one release.

The lifecycle of these products must include a pretty long development, testing and then tooling phase tonramp up manufacture so they must be at least 12 months in the making....

None of which helps us poor loyal customers, though, when from our PoV they just forget about the previous gen as soon as the jewnis out on the wild

I can see why they do it, but to be honest it puts me off buying more of their products as for this kind of money I expect some kind of longevity. These are not cheap toys after all.
2021-11-13
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 07:42
If I was in your position,  Id wait for Mini3,  but expect it to cost more than the mini2.
Arrrrggghhh, I know... But I'm sooooo tempted, and if the Black Friday deals are any good this year....

You know when you feel you are about to do something that you know you will regret, but just can't help yourself - that's me right now.

If only the Mini 3 would be launched on Monday (15th) as the rumours said a few months ago, then I could make an informed decision.

But maybe that's the whole point of Black Friday - to prevent rational, informed decisions wherever possible!
2021-11-13
Use props
DVDB66
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1294764 ft
Austria

Rumours are rumors and they have been there since April or earlier. Personally, I don't think DJI will release the Mini 3 anytime soon, think about it: how many people would NOT buy the Mavic 3 if the Mini 3 was there? It's a sub 250 grammes drone and that means LOTS more freedom to go where you can't with that 900gr monster.  No, I think they'll wait as long as they can because the Mavic 3 makes  them so much more money. So, again - don't wait. Go Go Go.

Just get that DJI insurance package thing WITH the drone - it helped me very much in the beginning when I crashed my first drone. And also consider that towards the end of the year Litchi (flylitchi.com) will come out with an update for the Mini 2 also, so even flight paths and stuff like that will become possible with the Mini 2.
2021-11-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I suggest you buy what you like as it is now or wait for a new version. I can't remember buying any other type of merchandise assuming it would get better in the specs as time passed. I think it is amazing that any features are added to anything after the sale for this product line. I liked my Mini 2 a lot before I gave it away but I did want more advanced features. Another way to go is to buy a used Mini 2 on eBay. I have bought multiple used DJI drones on eBay and have never had a real problem with that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3040755 ... 5dc712f1f57814aa1c7

Don't like it? Send it back within 30 days, full refund, postage free.

2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 11-13 10:54
Arrrrggghhh, I know... But I'm sooooo tempted, and if the Black Friday deals are any good this year....

You know when you feel you are about to do something that you know you will regret, but just can't help yourself - that's me right now.

What ever happens a Mini2 is going to be cheaper than the 3 so if thats something you dont want to pay any more then get a 2.  I have a Mini 2 and Im waiting for the 3 as well.
2021-11-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-13 21:18
I suggest you buy what you like as it is now or wait for a new version. I can't remember buying any other type of merchandise assuming it would get better in the specs as time passed. I think it is amazing that any features are added to anything after the sale for this product line. I liked my Mini 2 a lot before I gave it away but I did want more advanced features. Another way to go is to buy a used Mini 2 on eBay. I have bought multiple used DJI drones on eBay and have never had a real problem with that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3040755 ... 5dc712f1f57814aa1c7

I assume you are using a phone, tablet or computer to post your messages here?

Each of those gets updates that add features and fix bugs in both the OS and the apps you use.

Smart TVs, cable/satellite boxes, WiFi routers... For anything that is 'connected' this is the norm and therefore can and should be expected.

Even devices that are not 'connected' get updates these days. It's essential because so many things rely on software / firmware which is never going to be bug free. Manufacturers want to get products out in time to meet market demands, this inevitably means software 8s released before it is fully tested - it is released when it is deemed good enough because fixes can be pushed afterwards.

So, I DO expect something like a drone or camera to get updates these days. It even makes commercial sense because it garners brand loyalty.

2021-11-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 11-14 04:24

Each of those gets updates that add features and fix bugs in both the OS and the apps you use.

On top of that, the community that uses your products are a valuable asset to a company for providing feedback that can be used to develop new products...

Add a new feature suggested by users to an existing product. Then take that feature and build it better in a future product that is actually better designed to make use of that new feature.

You effectively have a built in market research team that way, and one that you don't disenfranchise by taking their ideas and then charging them for a hardware upgrade to get access to.

If it's within the hardware capabilities of a piece of kit, I don't see why manufacturers wouldn't add features - especially ones that are just extensions of existing features.
2021-11-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DVDB66 Posted at 11-13 20:39
Rumours are rumors and they have been there since April or earlier. Personally, I don't think DJI will release the Mini 3 anytime soon, think about it: how many people would NOT buy the Mavic 3 if the Mini 3 was there? It's a sub 250 grammes drone and that means LOTS more freedom to go where you can't with that 900gr monster.  No, I think they'll wait as long as they can because the Mavic 3 makes  them so much more money. So, again - don't wait. Go Go Go.

Just get that DJI insurance package thing WITH the drone - it helped me very much in the beginning when I crashed my first drone. And also consider that towards the end of the year Litchi (flylitchi.com) will come out with an update for the Mini 2 also, so even flight paths and stuff like that will become possible with the Mini 2.

I must look into Litchi ... I keep seeing it mentioned.
2021-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 11-14 04:24

As I clearly stated I was referring to added FEATURES, not updates.
2021-11-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-14 12:38
As I clearly stated I was referring to added FEATURES, not updates.

Well my original post was about DJI not fixing bugs in their existing products as soon as a new product in that line is released, so my point still stands.

And for the reasons I detailed, I also disagree about new/enhanced features. These days this is not an unreasonable expectation in my opinion - and, it would seem, that is an opinion shared by many.

Innovation can only take a company so far. A company will not always be ahead of the competition in terms of features as the competition will, in all but the rarest of cases, catch up and overtake. When this happens it is the companies reputation that will keep customers loyal, and I fear DJI would suffer badly when this happens.

The competition is already snapping at their heals, and in some cases it would seem that the competition keeps edging ahead. DJI may already be trading on its reputation for innovation, despite this. And that won't last long if they continue to abandon their customers and assume their loyalty.
2021-11-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well, it happened... There was a momentary price drop for the Fly More Combo on Amazon last night and I took the plunge...

It's due to arrive tomorrow but I'm going to resist opening the box in case there are better deals between now and the end of the Black Friday period.

So, here's hoping my phone works and the mini 3 is either way more expensive or a good few months away...

2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No Original Thought Posted at 11-14 13:55
Well my original post was about DJI not fixing bugs in their existing products as soon as a new product in that line is released, so my point still stands.

And for the reasons I detailed, I also disagree about new/enhanced features. These days this is not an unreasonable expectation in my opinion - and, it would seem, that is an opinion shared by many.

The competition is already snapping at their heels. Dji have 79% of the drone market, and their Camera Market share is growing all the time.
What Planet are you on.
2021-11-20
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 09:19
The competition is already snapping at their heels. Dji have 79% of the drone market, and their Camera Market share is growing all the time.
What Planet are you on.

Market share is only one measure - and is rarely the measure of the best product.

Look at the specs of the Autel Nano series, for example, for a manufacturer that some consider to be at least equivalent to DJI in terms of product features and quality.

It's not about the planet you are, it's how much of it you explore!
2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No Original Thought Posted at 11-20 09:41
Market share is only one measure - and is rarely the measure of the best product.

Look at the specs of the Autel Nano series, for example, for a manufacturer that some consider to be at least equivalent to DJI in terms of product features and quality.

Maybe you’re on the wrong forum . “Autel Nano” I might be wrong but this is not a market product yet, So difficult to measure this drone to anything. And I’m afraid it is important that one is on planet earth.;+)
2021-11-20
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 10:07
Maybe you’re on the wrong forum . “Autel Nano” I might be wrong but this is not a market product yet, So difficult to measure this drone to anything. And I’m afraid it is important that one is on planet earth.;+)

I expect you know what I meant.. however for other who may be reading that don't I meant the "Autel Evo Nano" which is on sale right now for a little more than the DJI Mini 2, and at a price that may well be comparable with the Mini 3 when it arrives based on the speculation online.
2021-11-20
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yesterday I joined the ranks of drone pilot with some short test flights of my new Mini 2.

Sooooo easy to fly and loving it!

Now all I can hope is that DJI don't crush my joy by releasing a Mini 3 with 4K50 or even 4K60 and some other neat little additions in the next few weeks and drop support of the Mini 2.

-N.O.T.
2021-11-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

No Original Thought Posted at 11-29 04:05
Yesterday I joined the ranks of drone pilot with some short test flights of my new Mini 2.

Congrats and don't worry, generally there are a lot of leaks before each DJI release and there is nothing going around nowadays
2021-11-29
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-29 04:05

Congrats.

The mini se was never an upgrade for the mini 2. It was merely a mini with a little upgrade. Something between a mini and a mini 2.

At some point you have to make a decision (which you did). The next version will have more features, and the next and ...
Main point is you're up in the air with your bird.
All brands, not just drones, stop developing and giving extra features, solving problems once their new product is out. And the new product will have also problems to solve, new problems.
2021-11-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I agree. I think the SE was a but of an odd choice by DJI. Effectively a cheaper Minin2 with slightly lower specs when what the world was waiting for - and the rumour mill was guessing at - was an upgraded Mini of some sort.

For me 4K50 (or 60) is my only real want

Active track and collision sensing would be nice, but not critical (I drive a manual car as I like driving, even though the automatic engines got better reviews for the model I drive. similarly I want to /fly/ my drone not just watch it fly itself.)

Bug fixes like fixing the panorama shot bug should be forthcoming, though, even after the next gen is released. If it's fixed in the next gen device the fix should he backported

That said, I read the DJI T&C's when activating my mini... Hmmm. Legally questionable, to say the least. As well as trying to wriggle out of any and all liability - including any liability for product failure - they effectively try to get around any merchantability / fit for purpose legislation!
2021-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules