Explanation of flyaways
1685 11 2015-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
freemanoftunes
lvl.1

United States

Here is my theory on some flyaways-- when the copter lands  a new home point is established-- unless you toggle the home point designation in the app and select the remote as the home point   that new home point estbliashed by the landing is kept as a home point-- now,   before you landed and established this new homepoint   you had a fail safe  altitute which is relative to your sorrundings at take  off  after the landing since there is now a new home point aftre the landing there are obviously other obstacles which may be higher than the ones at the initial take off point  so    if you press the home button on the remote  the copter will appear to fly away in an uncontrolled manner  towards obstacles taller than your fail safe altitude when in fact the copter is just going to the new home point estblished by the landing-- assuming you did not toggle the home point designation switch in the app and selct the remote as the home point    not only is it going off to that new home point but also encoutering obstacles that were not at the orginal take off point   and these obstacles may be higher than the fail safe altitutte setting you registered in the app when ytou took a look at your sorroundings at take off--  so this is a way to get yourself in a jam even if you have control over the air craft as it is headed to its new home point and higher obstacles--    at the very least you will get a scare when you see it heading to a place that is not where you are standing  -- just a thought as i have experienced the new home point issue and thought i would raise it here as i realized how the new home point designation could appear to cause uncontrolled fly aways
2015-8-2
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

There is a possibility there, however from the cases I've looked at I think there is more happening that meets the eye.
Some cases appear to have very immediate flight stability issues that may well indicate a problem with IMU data - the bird lifts off and immediately takes to the sky at a particular vector with high speed.
Others indicate a more likely issue with compass data, where directional stability degrades over time and control is impacted.
Set home point / old home point issues could very well be associated as well.

My gut feel is that beyond cases of simple component failure - there may be issues with data flow and integration of the various telemetry streams within the FC.
Time will tell, and I think that  to DJI's credit, each firmware update has provided improvements to flight behaviour. That is just from my experience with my one I1 however.   

Without access to numbers, it's hard to tell just how much of an issue this is - I've had great experience with my I1, but others have had major failures.
2015-8-2
Use props
freemanoftunes
lvl.1

United States

thanks farnk666  yeah i think i am grabbing at the low hanging fruit with my explanation-- but i have never had the copter prior to the firm ware updates  which seem to have solved the problem--  though i admit i dont take mine very far beyond the beginner mode parameters yet

i think it is a great piece of machinery for the money    it really is cinematic quality
2015-8-3
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Not touching this with a barge pole.
2015-8-3
Use props
wesseli
lvl.1

United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-8-4 01:28
Not touching this with a barge pole.

setting home point is critical and IMO you are asking for problems using the remote as a homepoint, if you are pointing the GPS antenna in a non-optimal attitude you could be screwed ... do not try flying from inside a car either , I tried that and lost radio contact with the I1 and it started back to a previous homepoint miles away because I was a stupid newbie and did'nt set a fresh HP. Luckily I jumped out of the truck and interrupted the bogus RTH and luckily crashed landed in soft brush.
2015-8-3
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I thought it automatically reset the home point when you start the motors, not when you land. That's when mine announces 'new homeport set' and always has.
2015-8-3
Use props
AegisFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

It's the aliens
2015-8-3
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Since when does the Inspire detect any obstacles?
2015-8-3
Use props
MLH
lvl.4

United States

I heard a theory keeping the firmware on your sd card causes the aircraft to calibrate the battery possibly in mid flight if updates are not done properly on the ground. Many remove the FW bin file for some reason even when batterys have been updated .

2015-8-3
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

MLH Posted at 2015-8-4 12:03
I heard a theory keeping the firmware on your sd card causes the aircraft to calibrate the battery p ...

I heard that the presence of the sasquatch in the flight area causes the Inspire 1 to flyaway in fear.
2015-8-4
Use props
ray_gauvreau
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-5
Use props
freemanoftunes
lvl.1

United States

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-8-3 16:41
I thought it automatically reset the home point when you start the motors, not when you land. That's ...

yeah that was my point  if you are flying and land  and then restart the motors you now have  a new home point  if you don't want that new one  you have to set the home point to where the remote is located or u will get what appears to be a fly away if you use rth feature  -- it will not go to the original home point
2015-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules