3870 25 2021-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lassie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322625 ft
Germany

Hello,

I did a flight this evening - everything went out absolutely perfect,  but after flying 15 mins or so I had the problem that there was absolutely no more climbing possible although I was far below max flight level.
When I lowered the drone for almost landing hight, I saw that the height  indicator was below zero and I was only able to climb until zero-then  the drone stopped.
I never had this before. I was updating the flysafe database a few  minutes before the flight, but I think this should should not cause the  problem.
I think it might be a prob with dji fly app 1.5.0 (iOS) which I used the first time for flight. I never had this problem with 1.4.8. Latest firmware is installed.
All other things like gimbal, yaw .... worked perfect.

Did anyone else have the same prob?

Rob
2021-11-14
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Did you restart your iPhone?
2021-11-14
Use props
Lassie
lvl.3
Germany

Yes I did after downloading flysafe and during the climbing problem!
2021-11-14
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Yes, somebody also had the same problem:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-253146-1-1.html
2021-11-14
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Lassie Posted at 11-14 08:20
Yes I did after downloading flysafe and during the climbing problem!

iPhones are made for non-tech people. iPhone owners are thus not supposed to handle anything technical.

Like a drone!
2021-11-14
Use props
Quaxo76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479386 ft

Italy

Johnny_J Posted at 11-14 08:38
iPhones are made for non-tech people. iPhone owners are thus not supposed to handle anything technical.

Like a drone!

Hello, I described the exact same problem here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=253146&page=1&extra=#pid2597782
except that I have an Android phone, not an iPhone.

- We both are in Europe
- We both had just updated the database maybe 15 minutes before.

The symptoms were exactly the same.

Cristian
2021-11-14
Use props
Lassie
lvl.3
Germany

Johnny_J Posted at 11-14 08:38

Like a drone!

Very helpful.........
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Quaxo76 Posted at 11-14 08:59
Hello, I described the exact same problem here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=253146&page=1&extra=#pid2597782
except that I have an Android phone, not an iPhone.

I hope this is not something that is going to be frequent.
2021-11-14
Use props
Quaxo76
lvl.2

Italy

Montfrooij Posted at 11-14 11:47
I hope this is not something that is going to be frequent.

Should this happen again to me in the future, I'll try not to freak out and test two things:
1) try to manually adjust the maximum altitude setting, in case it got "re-set to zero" internally;
2) try to initiate an automatic RTH and see if it climbs, but in this case caution will be needed, in case the drone starts to fly towards home without climbing first.
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Quaxo76 Posted at 11-14 12:23
Should this happen again to me in the future, I'll try not to freak out and test two things:
1) try to manually adjust the maximum altitude setting, in case it got "re-set to zero" internally;
2) try to initiate an automatic RTH and see if it climbs, but in this case caution will be needed, in case the drone starts to fly towards home without climbing first.

Those are good things to test if you ask me.
2021-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Quaxo76 Posted at 11-14 12:23

This was not what caused the incident
Your flight data shows that the drone never reached it's maximum height limit and it was never reset.
2021-11-14
Use props
Quaxo76
lvl.2

Italy

Labroides Posted at 11-14 12:45
This was not what caused the incident

I know, but something weird happened, that shouldn't have happened, so we shouldn't assume a normally operating system. It's conceivable that for some reason, the software internally changed the maximum altitude to zero, even though without user input, and without showing it in the settings (or on screen). At least, it's maybe worth a test, in lack of better explanations...
2021-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Quaxo76 Posted at 11-15 04:38
I know, but something weird happened, that shouldn't have happened, so we shouldn't assume a normally operating system. It's conceivable that for some reason, the software internally changed the maximum altitude to zero, even though without user input, and without showing it in the settings (or on screen). At least, it's maybe worth a test, in lack of better explanations...

It's conceivable that for some reason, the software internally changed the maximum altitude to zero, even though without user input, and without showing it in the settings (or on screen). At least, it's maybe worth a test, in lack of better explanations...
No, it's not.
If your max altitude limit was set to zero, that would have shown in your flight data.
But it didn't.
What showed was something like 1300 ft if I remember correctly.

And if it had reset to zero, there would have been warning messages all over your data to say that the drone was exceeding the max altitude limit.
But there were no messages about that.
2021-11-15
Use props
ManiekWwa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280026 ft
Poland

Same problem here after 4:00

2021-11-16
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

ManiekWwa Posted at 11-16 04:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-yf__pJZ8

So the bug - if it is a DJI Fly app bug - is still present in v1.5.1 :-(
2021-11-16
Use props
Quaxo76
lvl.2

Italy

ManiekWwa Posted at 11-16 04:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-yf__pJZ8

I only understand a little spanish, but if I'm not mistaken, the app detected a firmware version mismatch? So it prevented the drone from climbing, and after landing it prevented it from taking off again, until "power-cycled"?
This would at least mean that after a single occurence, the issue should not happen again on subsequent flights. And maybe, since the issue always happened right after updating the FlySafe zones, we should remember to power-cycle the drone after updating the database, and before flying...
2021-11-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For what it is worth a Google translate of the transcript

0:00  with friends how are they I hope I know00:02find it very very cool and we continue with00:05testing on the mini s this time00:08Well, the notification has just arrived00:10of a new a new scare a new
00:14Digite fly scare because it's no longer the00:16updates are already their two new00:19is this scare is version 1.5 point00:231 then well here we just finished it00:27open application as they are seeing in the
00:28video and is updating us on this00:32moment the information of the safe flight00:34then let's wait for it to download and00:39we start the flight so they can check it00:42you if you children
01:04there we notice small cuts and only01:07we are 4501:11and seven meters high01:27we see that everything02:19the wind is a bit strong02:39but it seems that everything is going well
02:51Well, how do you see everything normal up to here?02:55the new scare that is version 1.5
02:58point 1 all good apparently we are going to03:02 70,000 meters high and 700 800 meters03:06away because here everything is fine we have3:1117 satellites but when we get to a
03:14kilometer 400 passing03:19and there we go well we go up to 80
03:26and let's go a km03:32and a half03:37[Music]03:44and we want to go up and it goes up03:50no longer mark us that goes up there04:01and it marks the distance to which we go
04:05traveling but if we want to climb more04:09she does not allow us04:13if we go down yes04:16but it doesn't come back up04:19then that is a serious mistake because if04:22we went down a little bit more
04:23we may not go back up and it will04:27hit with an obstacle then what04:29we are going to do is04:32and flip the04:34in sight and return it ourselves04:41more or less we already have04:45located the area in which we are04:47then let's go back04:50let's hope it doesn't happen04:55any04:59What else do I tell you, young people, have they just done it?05:02see the remote does not respond up and
05:07we go down and well yes but it is a is a mistake05:10which can sometimes be fatal05:15but then they already saw it and right now only one05:18little more detailed
05:21[Applause]05:28well then to see if it is reached05:30notice05:52[Music]05:59[Music]06:30and there it is to see let's make one06:32try as we are we raise it06:36again
06:41and it threw me a message of versions of06:43firmware06:45and let's take off06:51let's see the versions again06:54of the framework and we try to fly06:57again and a code of
07:01 firmware bug and one high altitude07:04  then we check the firmware that07:08  they were the ones who threw us but well07:11  we apply in the end to the magic
07:15  what is to restart and turn off the aircraft07:20  turn it on and then everything goes back to  07:23normal
2021-11-17
Use props
ManiekWwa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280026 ft
Poland

Quaxo76 Posted at 11-17 03:20
I only understand a little spanish, but if I'm not mistaken, the app detected a firmware version mismatch? So it prevented the drone from climbing, and after landing it prevented it from taking off again, until "power-cycled"?
This would at least mean that after a single occurence, the issue should not happen again on subsequent flights. And maybe, since the issue always happened right after updating the FlySafe zones, we should remember to power-cycle the drone after updating the database, and before flying...

I don't understand spanish either but was trying to understand what is going on from the automatic english subtitles.
Maybe it was a problem with Fly Safe or app update but here it is the film with the same issue.
2021-11-18
Use props
Makeluv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1786519 ft
France

I confirm the bug.

In log we can see error message about motor firmware mismatching.
2021-11-18
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

For those curious, I had an issue a few days ago where it also seemed my  Mini2 refused to climb up to a higher altitude at some point.  There  are some similarities (and some differences) in my case.

Similarities include:
  • Drone  was flying normally, except: at some point, it seems it just stopped  accepting stick input commands to gain any more altitude.
  • Once  it stopped climbing it was at roughly "0" altitude (within a few feet  below or above) but it never got much higher or lower than "0" once the  problem started.
  • It was able to hover, and fly horizontally,  as normal, it just would not climb higher to gain altitude, no matter  how I tried.  I hit RTH and it did not climb then either.
  • I  had just done an update to the Fly Safe database (and aso updated  Firmware) immediately before this flight (within an hour of flight,  maybe less).

Differences include:
  • It was cold outside - below freezing.  Some nearby reporting stations indicated -4°C to -6°C.
  • I launched from the edge of a high cliff, then flew out over terrain that was much lower.  Most of the flight was at negative altitudes relative to the launch point.   The drone was able to climb up to roughly the "0" altitude of the  launch point, but it would not climb up further -- most critically, it wouldn't go up the  additional ~20 feet necessary to clear some trees between the drone's  position and the safe landing area/RTH point.
  • Batteries got  critically low as I kept trying to get the drone to ascend that last 20  feet (repeatedly). I tried to get the drone close to me, even tough trees  were in the way.  I managed to fly between some of the trees in  the last few moments, and got it pretty close.  But with the battery just  about exhausted, the drone crashed in some small bushes about 20 feet  short of the landing point (and below the landing point altitude), on the face of  the cliff.  It is now stuck there, about 20 feet down a cliff, just  beyond my ability to reach it safely, in snow and bushes.  It has now  been out in sub-freezing, cold and wet conditions for 6 days. I may or  may not be able to recover it safely (I will consider attempting  recovery after the snow melts, in the next couple days -- in about 6  months, it should be easy to climb down, but I'm not trying it in snow  and ice).  I'm sure being out in those conditions are not going to be  good for it, it may be (probably is) a total loss.

If you are interested in more details, here's the thread: Lost my Mini 2. Not sure why. Too cold?

2022-1-2
Use props
srdyiop
lvl.3
United States

Quaxo76 Posted at 2021-11-17 03:20

Good call I was thinking the same thing, I am new to all of this and have seen mine update at least once before going out to fly.

I am still writing procedures for use, will add ' Check for updates, if it updates reboot everything, Drone, Phone, Controller before flight'

Thanks

2022-1-2
Use props
djiuser_67L64piQtAte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1465689 ft
United Kingdom

I know I’m late but I’ve just had the exact same problem now
(31st may 2022)
I updated the fly safe a few minutes before flying and I had been flying fine for 15 minutes and then I was 400 meters away doing some low flying over long grass and suddenly my DJI mini 2 wouldn’t climb!
I tried RTH and that didn’t work it just beeped and said returning but didn’t move
I was on 22 percent and had to sprint across a field with long grass and before I got there I moved it forward towards me because I was still about a meter above the grass and I had my left stick fully up as I flew towards me the drone started going down and crashed into the long grass
Luckily it was fine and by that point I was within 30 meters and saw where it went down but strange it’s still a thing and it must definitely be related to the fly safe being updated before flight
And I restarted my Mini 2 and it worked as normal very annoying and strange
It was only up
I could go down, move around and yaw normally
2022-5-31
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_67L64piQtAte Posted at 5-31 09:45
(31st may 2022)
I updated the fly safe a few minutes before flying and I had been flying fine for 15 minutes and then I was 400 meters away doing some low flying over long grass and suddenly my DJI mini 2 wouldn’t climb!

Another example of the fail to climb after FlySafe DB update... There is a definite pattern here.
2022-5-31
Use props
ZOOF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566804 ft
United States

djiuser_67L64piQtAte Posted at 5-31 09:45
(31st may 2022)

Did you reboot the drone after the fly safe database update?
2022-5-31
Use props
Kklassen
New

Canada

For the sake of adding to this thread, this happened to me too. Was about 500 metres away across the river from my house. Hadn't used my drone in several months so it had requested a firmware update first before flying. Had to get my wife to rush across in the car to get the drone back as it was too low to clear obstacles if I was going to fly it home. It otherwise had a good signal, could fly in every other direction besides climbing/up. Return to home function did not work. Adjusting the maximum height down and up didn't work.
Thankfully it had enough battery that she got there in time or I would have lost the drone.
2022-9-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kklassen Posted at 9-26 10:17
For the sake of adding to this thread, this happened to me too. Was about 500 metres away across the river from my house. Hadn't used my drone in several months so it had requested a firmware update first before flying. Had to get my wife to rush across in the car to get the drone back as it was too low to clear obstacles if I was going to fly it home. It otherwise had a good signal, could fly in every other direction besides climbing/up. Return to home function did not work. Adjusting the maximum height down and up didn't work.
Thankfully it had enough battery that she got there in time or I would have lost the drone.

THAT is an awesome wife to go and chase down the drone for you!  : )
2022-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules