Any other Pros still holding back on buying Mavic 3?
12Next >
2222 58 2021-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I really didn't expect to be where I am today. I fully expected to pay much more for the Mavic 3, no problems. The "zoom" lens not great? Well I don't care much as it's effectively a bonus feature compared to the M2P anyway. Active tracking etc.? Can take it or leave it really.

But here I am a week after launch still deciding not just when I will buy the Mavic 3, but even IF I will buy the aircraft at all, and I have had the money sitting in a separate bank account for nearly 2 years ready to pay the money. Take my money DJI! But no, that hasn't happened.

Just for some context as to what I do: I've owned 4 DJI drones. On the M2P I've shot for Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and BBC. Shot under Director Werner Herzog and DP Russell Boyd ACS, ASC. This year I was a finalist in Boston, "Landscape" winner in AZ DroneFest and have won 14 other international drone awards including 3 different festivals in New York City, blah, blah blah.....but just trying to point out I know my stuff a bit, and get paid to do it.

What is it with this "DJI Fly" thing? Really? I'd never heard of the app until yesterday and we are being forced to use this instead of DJI Go4? What? Why bring out a Pro drone and then go way backwards in app functionality, pretty much to beginner level? In all sorts of ways this drone is a beta version. Now that is fine, if you want to keep us updated on what you are doing and when. Yes, we have all heard of this January 22 firmware update, but what about all the other features?  Sami Sarkis from Hosiho(dot)net writes a great blog article on all this, translated from French to English in his site, it is easily understood.  These are just some of his questions:

• The Dji Fly App is too simple for a professional pilot: why did you drop Dji GO 4? Are there any plans for a Dji Fly Pro?
  • Pros shoot manual! Why is it so hard to enter manual settings on DJI Fly? The Fly app may well be the dealbreaker for me.
  • Why is it impossible to install Dji Fly on your CrystalSky monitors?

• We  have listed the shortcomings of the version to be released in early  November 2021: can you tell us what is likely to be added in terms of  features, settings, etc.?

Other questions:

• We would like a real Tripod Mode with the possibility to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical speed as well: is this envisaged?
    • Rough  and aggressive behaviour of the M3C in flight even in Cine mode: could  we access and modify the parameters to adapt them to each pilot?
    • Should there be a stop when zooming with the 24mm from x0 to x4 in order to avoid going to x7 with a jump of images?
    • Zoom only at 30p: no 25p for Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore?
    • Bring back a HQ/FOV mode like on the Mavic 2 pro please?
    • Iso at 400 or 800 in DLog Profile: why not from 100 to 1600 Iso like M2p?
    • Bring back the choice of file indexing mode, e.g. Continuous as on Dji GO 4?
    • ProRes recording on the 1Tb SSD: why not also record a H265/264 file on a microSD card like on the Inspire 2?
    • Will there be Waypoints?
    • Can you allow keyboard input of Distance or Altitude limits?
    • Allow the pilot to enter the battery warning thresholds like on Dji GO 4?
    • No HLG? Many Pros require an HDR format

Anyway my hope is that DJI will keep us "in the loop" and be honest and open about what they are doing as every day that goes by they risk Pros looking elsewhere
for other drones in this price and weight segment. Ok I've said my piece and now I'm going to clear my head in the "Outback":-)
2021-11-14
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

My thoughts on your comments:

1. I absolutely agree.  For me, this is the #1 currently missing feature for the Mavic 3 compared to the M2P.  I use this all of the time on my M2P!
2. You have access to be able to slow the gimbal and yaw movements in each mode (Cine, Normal, Sport).  You also have the ability to change the EXP curve like you do in Go 4.
3. I completely agree that there should be an option to disable the terrible digital zoom so that you can just toggle between 1x & 7x.  I actually tweeted at DJI support this request earlier today.
4. I will be shocked if a future firmware update doesn't bring more capability to the zoom sensor.  Including manual exposure settings and other framerates such as 24/25/50/60.  Right now without those capabilities, its mostly useless for any real imaging purposes.
5. Not sure they will do that.  I think that was a work around for the crappy SOC they had on the M2P that couldn't handle a 4K full sensor readout without overheating.  So they slightly gimped the FOV and did the HQ crop as a workaround.
6. This is quite common in handheld professional cameras as well where LOG is limited on the ISO settings available. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00146206
7. Its already continuous.  For me personally I wouldn't want any other setting. But its always good to have options.
8. dunno, maybe its a resource issue?  It is a tiny little device.  For me, I'd be more worried about my workflow when using ProRes and how I'm going to get that footage off my SSD device in a timely manner so I can get back up in the air again!  I can't just swap out SSD's like is possible in the Inspire
9. I would be shocked if they don't show up at some point.  For the Mavic 2, I think it was about 5 months after the initial release before they got implemented.  I personally don't care if they implement then directly into the Fly app.  I just want them to make sure to include them in the SDK so that 3rd party apps can do fully functional autonomous waypoint missions.  Not the crappy gimped SDK they implemented into the Mini and Air 2 where 3rd party app developers had to use the SDK Virtual Stick feature to implement connected waypoints.  I personally found the Go 4 implementation of Waypoints to be extremely bad when compared to Litchi or other 3rd party apps.
10. That would be nice as well!  Go 4 definitely had that option in many places
11. That would be nice as well!

I like that you've put some thought into it and listed out specific items.  Most of the comments I've seen where people say "its not professional enough" are just parroting what they've heard others say and don't really know why they are saying that other than they think it was designed for the Mini so it can't be good enough for them.  You've mentioned quite a few specific areas that I also agree DJI need to put some attention into!
2021-11-14
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 11-14 19:16
My thoughts on your comments:

1. I absolutely agree.  For me, this is the #1 currently missing feature for the Mavic 3 compared to the M2P.  I use this all of the time on my M2P!

Thanks Kloo, we sure won't agree on everything but I just want to open up a discussion amongst Pros, that is, people who get paid to do this for a living. Others can't be expected to know all the deeper detail. Why should they? as they don't really need to!
2021-11-14
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 11-14 19:30
Thanks Kloo, we sure won't agree on everything but I just want to open up a discussion amongst Pros, that is, people who get paid to do this for a living. Others can't be expected to know all the deeper detail. Why should they? as they don't really need to!

Yep, DJI won't do anything if they don't hear us!  Like I said, happy to see someone finally put some thought and details out there that can actually be discussed!  Let's hope they continue to add all of this stuff.  Add that to the incredible image quality, stability, and battery life and we are going to have an incredible imaging tool for the next couple of years.
2021-11-14
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 11-14 19:43
Yep, DJI won't do anything if they don't hear us!  Like I said, happy to see someone finally put some thought and details out there that can actually be discussed!  Let's hope they continue to add all of this stuff.  Add that to the incredible image quality, stability, and battery life and we are going to have an incredible imaging tool for the next couple of years.

Yes what I think they don't realize is many were already humming and hahing (how DO you spell that?) about the Mavic V Cine choice, and all the ramifications of that choice. Now we have a "Fly" in the ointment as well, plus some known firmware updates (that really just takes it out of beta!) and a totally unknown path forward on app development. Are they going to relent and give us Go4 or release a much improved Fly, or neither? Then you have all the European customers not knowing whether it will get EU approval for 2023 and all of them are not going to spend all that money on something that might become illegal. So it is a real mess and we need DJI to talk to us, NOW...not later.
2021-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a quick reminder. DJI considers almost the entire Mavic line to be for consumers. DJI considers only the Inspire 2 to be a professional use drone. There are also Enterprise drones, but not any Mavics in that category except the M2E. See their home page.
2021-11-14
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-14 20:00
Just a quick reminder. DJI considers the entire Mavic line to be for consumers. DJI considers only the Inspire 2 to be a professional use drone. There are also Enterprise drones, but not any Mavics in that category except the M2E. See their home page.

That's fine Gary, but in the real world it is considered acceptable for Pro delivery by many (if tweaked to the "nth" degree every time) including my clients and those of 100s of other operators around the world. BBC is a perfect example, I NEVER expected them to accept M2P footage for their "Seven Worlds-One Planet" series (similar to "Planet Earth" quality) but they did on that occasion. BBC is notorious in the industry for their technical standards.
2021-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 11-14 19:16
My thoughts on your comments:

1. I absolutely agree.  For me, this is the #1 currently missing feature for the Mavic 3 compared to the M2P.  I use this all of the time on my M2P!

7. Its already continuous.  For me personally I wouldn't want any other setting. But its always good to have options.
Can you confirm that you got this correct?
Ever since DJI fly appeared for lesser mavics, users have been complaining about it resetting the File Index  and not being able to have the file numbers continue from the last image in the previous flight.

It would also be interesting to know if DJI have stuck with their dumb 3 digit file numbering.
Since the P3, DJI has only gone to 999, before returning to 001.
Does the M3 allow file numbering to go past 999?
2021-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Adding deluxe features to the M3 would raise the price considerably. Why not buy a drone that has pro features already? If the M3 went "'Professional" I could not afford it, or at least would not buy it.
2021-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Just a quick reminder. DJI considers almost the entire Mavic line to be for consumers. DJI considers only the Inspire 2 to be a professional use drone. There are also Enterprise drones, but not any Mavics in that category except the M2E. See their home page.

DJI considers almost the entire Mavic line to be for consumers. DJI considers only the Inspire 2 to be a professional use drone.
DJI understand that you don't have to shoot for Hollywood to be a pro user.
Pros don't always want to drag around something as bulky and expensive as an Inspire or Matrice when it's unnecessary for the job.
I would suggest that the majority of professional drone work is done with smaller, more portable and affordable drones.
2021-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

But here I am a week after launch still deciding not just when I will buy the Mavic 3, but even IF I will buy the aircraft at all, and I have had the money sitting in a separate bank account for nearly 2 years ready to pay the money.

I'm in exactly that situation, with the $$ set aside for two years ready to grab an easily portable 4/3 drone when one came available.
When the M3 was confirmed, I assumed I'd be getting one, but the fixed lens is disappointing and having to use DJI Fly is a project stopper for me.
Not having camera controls on the controller and being stuck with the same app as DJI uses for their Mini2 just isn't good enough.
I want an upgrade, not a big step backwards.

For the first time since I got my first P2V+ I'm very seriously looking at a non-DJI drone for my next flying camera.

2021-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-14 20:21
But here I am a week after launch still deciding not just when I will buy the Mavic 3, but even IF I will buy the aircraft at all, and I have had the money sitting in a separate bank account for nearly 2 years ready to pay the money.

I'm in exactly that situation, with the $$ set aside for two years ready to grab an easily portable 4/3 drone when one came available.

I would put off the purchase for a while. I am not fully convinced this was a good idea for me since I won't even know if it will do what I want until at least January. Right now my M2p can fly rings around the M3 (except flight time). And I bought the M2p for $900 bucks used.
2021-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-14 20:13
Ever since DJI fly appeared for lesser mavics, users have been complaining about it resetting the File Index  and not being able to have the file numbers continue from the last image in the previous flight.

About the flight numbers, I think that only happens when you switch devices and/or controllers. At least that is what I noticed. Not a problem once I settled on my standard device. I was sharing one tablet with 3 drones for a while.
2021-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-14 20:16
DJI considers almost the entire Mavic line to be for consumers. DJI considers only the Inspire 2 to be a professional use drone.
Pros don't always want to drag around something as bulky and expensive as an Inspire or Matrice when it's unnecessary for the job.

You missed the point entirely. DJI has placed the M3 into the Consumer field. That should tell you that is what they think about it for marketing and capability (i.e. balancing features and cost). You can theoretically use a Mini for business if you want and get paid for that. Doesn't mean DJI is pushing that use.

OP: Sorry to clutter up your topic. I'm not a pro and will stop posting here ;-)

2021-11-14
Use props
Mharz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4759560 ft
  • >>>
United States

The OP perfectly highlights a lot of my concerns.  I get paid to fly (though not with all the top tier sources the OP has) and I have the same issues.  I had the money in a business account waiting on the M3P and pulled the trigger for a Cine version almost exclusively for the 4/3 camera made by Hassleblad.  I know I'll have clients that want ProRes and I'll charge them double for it because some people love it.  I'm projecting the aircraft will pay for itself (with me still taking a salary and paying expenses) in a couple of months though we're entering winter so it might take 3-4 depending on how slow it gets.

Yes the app is a step back.  Go4 is far better.  Yes we're all paying for beta level products but I have some confidence that firmware updates will correct a good number of the lacking features.  

MOST IMPORTANTLY: the SDK has to be released ASAP.  If/when this happens, third parties will probably take care of a lot of issues.  Litchi will probably be the go to app very quickly.

At the end of the day, I take pride in driving the aircraft with smooth and controlled motions.  This will get me the video I need, planning and placement will get me the pics.  Certainly not perfect, certainly not ideal but for now, it's good enough and it'll pay for itself in good time.  When a certain global company gets things rolling (Sony I'm looking at you) the landscape is going to change but for now, this might be one of the better 4/3 cameras available in this size/price range.
2021-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-14 20:32
You missed the point entirely. DJI has placed the M3 into the Consumer field. That should tell you that is what they think about it for marketing and capability (i.e. balancing features and cost). You can theoretically use a Mini for business if you want and get paid for that. Doesn't mean DJI is pushing that use.

OP: Sorry to clutter up your topic. I'm not a pro and will stop posting here ;-)

You missed the point entirely. DJI has placed the M3 into the Consumer field.
Google DJI Mavic 3 and this is the first thing that comes up from DJI:
   DJI Mavic 3 is a powerful flagship camera drone equipped with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera to facilitate professional-level imaging.
The cine version of the M3 has Pro Res and a 1TB SSD.
Some recreational users that just want the latest/greatest drone will buy it.
Serious photographers will buy it and pros will buy it

DJI don't care who buys the M3, but they have definitely pitched it as a suitable flying camera for pro users.

2021-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mharz Posted at 11-14 20:59
The OP perfectly highlights a lot of my concerns.  I get paid to fly (though not with all the top tier sources the OP has) and I have the same issues.  I had the money in a business account waiting on the M3P and pulled the trigger for a Cine version almost exclusively for the 4/3 camera made by Hassleblad.  I know I'll have clients that want ProRes and I'll charge them double for it because some people love it.  I'm projecting the aircraft will pay for itself (with me still taking a salary and paying expenses) in a couple of months though we're entering winter so it might take 3-4 depending on how slow it gets.

Yes the app is a step back.  Go4 is far better.  Yes we're all paying for beta level products but I have some confidence that firmware updates will correct a good number of the lacking features.  

Sony I'm looking at you
When/if Sony ever enter the drone market, the machine they've shown is in an entirely different league.
You may as well look at DJI's Matrice series.
At least it's available now.

Here's what was out there on the Sony Airpeak 5 months ago:
  Sony has stated that the Airpeak S1 will be available for purchase in fall 2021 at a price tag of $9,000 (no camera or lens included).
https://www.naturettl.com/sony-airpeak-s1-the-new-9000-professional-drone/
2021-11-14
Use props
Mharz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4759560 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-14 22:14
Sony I'm looking at you
When/if Sony ever enter the drone market, the machine they've shown is in an entirely different league.
You may as well look at DJI's Matrice series.

The Matrice isn't what I'm looking for.  I looked hard and tried to shoehorn that one.  Go look at the sensors they offer.  They aren't Sony full frame and they're not pro tools that work for what I need.

I'd fly the Sony system today if they would send me one and I'd happily put a $4K camera on it if I knew it could be solid and reliable.  Those things haven't been shown yet.
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-14 20:16

Yes the Mavic 2 Pro is just one in the drone tool box for most bigger productions, they are certainly in use when they are a good fit.
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

yes, would be good to double-check
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mharz Posted at 11-14 20:59

Thanks Mharz, an SDK release would be a very good thing, especially right about now! I get the impression there is a lack of design leadership at DJI that probably didn't exist before and also a misunderstanding between marketing and technical. Hopefully that is not Covid related, as in interruptions to a comprehensive design strategy, but I know they did have some issues with that.
2021-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I will not upgrade the m2p until I see what's added next year.
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 11-15 01:27
I will not upgrade the m2p until I see what's added next year.

I'm still hoping DJI will respond in a timely way to all our concerns.
2021-11-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just a quick reminder. DJI considers almost the entire Mavic line to be for consumers. DJI considers only the Inspire 2 to be a professional use drone. There are also Enterprise drones, but not any Mavics in that category except the M2E. See their home page.

I could care less which drop down on the website they place it. I only care how it functions.
2021-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

christangey Posted at 11-15 05:03

Im sceptical that will happen.
2021-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think (hope) they will add a lot in the nearby future.
But I hope some other competitors will make rivaling products, so they have to step up at DJI.
2021-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

christangey Posted at 11-15 05:03

Don't count on it.
Not very often they make responses that really tell anything.
2021-11-15
Use props
Shikijo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3323150 ft
  • >>>
France

I totally agree with the blog post on Hosiho. I've made a post about pro use of this Mavic wasn't envisaged due the default on DJI Fly app.
I've ordered two Mavic for my company, I've sending back one because this drone is a joke for professional user (same as you I work for national French TV, big production company who release some stuff on Netflix or Disney but this is not the subject).
I got my fingers crossed about DJI read this forum, it's the reason I give all the feedback I can about my professional use of Mavic I do during the years and why, today, I've send back a M3 because I can't use it on my daily job.
2021-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 11-14 20:21

I'm in exactly that situation, with the $$ set aside for two years ready to grab an easily portable 4/3 drone when one came available.

I think your 100% wrong about the App, and if your buying the pro option Cine then you’ll have Pro Remote, this will give you exactly same controls as you have with P4P remote except you will have more customizable buttons. Regarding changing lenses this is not going to come, you could buy inspire 2 but with different lenses well price might be a problem. Dji will be bringing a wider lens 15 degree next month, and talking to Freewell they are in the process of designing an anamorphic wide and tele lens I imagine it will be something like Fuji have done with their fixed lens X100 they have fixed tele and fixed wide with almost no quality loss .
So there are options, your complaining about the app, well try Autel App and you'll soon realize how good Fly app is.
2021-11-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Shikijo Posted at 11-15 09:32
I totally agree with the blog post on Hosiho. I've made a post about pro use of this Mavic wasn't envisaged due the default on DJI Fly app.
I've ordered two Mavic for my company, I've sending back one because this drone is a joke for professional user (same as you I work for national French TV, big production company who release some stuff on Netflix or Disney but this is not the subject).
I got my fingers crossed about DJI read this forum, it's the reason I give all the feedback I can about my professional use of Mavic I do during the years and why, today, I've send back a M3 because I can't use it on my daily job.

What specifically is stopping you from using it in your daily job?
2021-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 09:48
I think your 100% wrong about the App, and if your buying the pro option Cine then you’ll have Pro Remote, this will give you exactly same controls as you have with P4P remote except you will have more customizable buttons. Regarding changing lenses this is not going to come, you could buy inspire 2 but with different lenses well price might be a problem. Dji will be bringing a wider lens 15 degree next month, and talking to Freewell they are in the process of designing an anamorphic wide and tele lens I imagine it will be something like Fuji have done with their fixed lens X100 they have fixed tele and fixed wide with almost no quality loss .
So there are options, your complaining about the app, well try Autel App and you'll soon realize how good Fly app is.

I'm not buying the cine model as I mainly shoot stills.
The fixed lens is already more than wide enough for me.
I'd like the ability to use other, less wide lenses.
I don't want to pay for an Inspire or drag that bulk around.
I'm looking into another maker for what I need.
2021-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 11-15 13:24
I'm not buying the cine model as I mainly shoot stills.
The fixed lens is already more than wide enough for me.
I'd like the ability to use other, less wide lenses.

Good Luck….
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 11-15 05:20
I could care less which drop down on the website they place it. I only care how it functions.

exactly KlooGee
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Shikijo Posted at 11-15 09:32
I totally agree with the blog post on Hosiho. I've made a post about pro use of this Mavic wasn't envisaged due the default on DJI Fly app.
I've ordered two Mavic for my company, I've sending back one because this drone is a joke for professional user (same as you I work for national French TV, big production company who release some stuff on Netflix or Disney but this is not the subject).
I got my fingers crossed about DJI read this forum, it's the reason I give all the feedback I can about my professional use of Mavic I do during the years and why, today, I've send back a M3 because I can't use it on my daily job.

Yes I read your post elsewhere in the forum, interesting comments.
2021-11-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 07:44
Don't count on it.
Not very often they make responses that really tell anything.

I agree but they need to recognize that there are a whole heap of unique circumstances conspiring against the M3 launch right now, many caused by DJI itself. Rare circumstances need rare actions and if they are to save this aircraft from a Pro point of view they need to come out now with detailed responses, in a month it will be too late.
2021-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

christangey Posted at 11-15 17:11
I agree but they need to recognize that there are a whole heap of unique circumstances conspiring against the M3 launch right now, many caused by DJI itself. Rare circumstance need rare actions and if they are to save this aircraft from a Pro point of view they need to come out now with detailed responses, in a month it will be too late.

I’m not sure if you remember the release of M2P . Well it was 10 times worse than this release, Distortion, camera not using all the sensor, no waypoints no precision landing etc, people were losing their Sh*t extra moderators were brought in. And now many especially photographers will see that drone as the holy grail. Almost all dji release drones go through the same thing and to date “not a single failure” why ! Maybe because they know they have a great drone they are going to make much better. I think many who complain were never going to buy anyways, others who are hanging on to not part take in the beta exercise will eventually give in and buy and dji will get another huge boost when FW is released.

It’s an old story with the same ending. Ive no doubt there are other companies chipping away at dji, but it seems when dji want to regain their market share they just turn it on in spades and they get their ending.
2021-11-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 11-15 17:11
I agree but they need to recognize that there are a whole heap of unique circumstances conspiring against the M3 launch right now, many caused by DJI itself. Rare circumstances need rare actions and if they are to save this aircraft from a Pro point of view they need to come out now with detailed responses, in a month it will be too late.

Firstly, I agree with Montfrooij.  The fact that DJI gave a list of features they are still working on and actually gave a date is quite extraordinary!  They very rarely give such communication.  I would be very skeptical they will give any further communication beyond what they've done already.  

This is not really a new situation for DJI.  Many of their drones have been missing large features with people demanding responses from them and they just end up responding by releasing new firmware and app features over time.  

As hallmark mentioned, there was a lot of controversy around the M2P early on.  It was missing features and had "terrible" problems.  But now, as you see, I think history has shown that the M2P is actually a fantastic drone.  

People (including "pros") will most likely stay on board with this drone because there really isn't another drone that can do what it can currently do with its small size, 4/3 sensor, battery life, etc.  It can be frustrating until some features get added to the mix, but quite honestly, its a fantastic drone as it sits today.
2021-11-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It looks like I was partially correct and partially incorrect.  It depends on your behavior as to how it works.

I usually just delete the contents of the card after I offload the images to my computer.  When I do that, the file numbering does continue where it left off.  

However, if I put the card in the drone and reformat it, then the index number restarts back at 0.  
2021-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 11-15 18:15
It looks like I was partially correct and partially incorrect.  It depends on your behavior as to how it works.

I usually just delete the contents of the card after I offload the images to my computer.  When I do that, the file numbering does continue where it left off.  

Thanks ... that's what DJI Fly has always done.
Give it a clean card and it starts at 001 with no way to have it continue.
Not really helpful for a serious photographer who changes cards with each battery.
Just another of quite a few non-pro aspects to DJI Fly.
2021-11-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-15 18:57
Thanks ... that's what DJI Fly has always done.
Give it a clean card and it starts at 001 with no way to have it continue.
Not really helpful for a serious photographer who changes cards with each battery.

I thought pros / serious photographers always had better file organization than that.  I personally don't dump files from different cards into the same folder.  Each card goes in a separate sub-folder.  

Then when you import the full parent folder into Lightroom, you've easily got the option to deal with them all based on individual flights/cards or as the full parent folder.  Handling them this way, I really don't care what the files are named.

This is why I've not really noticed an issue with this with my Air2S or Mini 2.

Having said that, having this option would likely make some workflows easier.  And having options are always good!
2021-11-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules