Tell us truth! Is there a new firmware being made?
123Next >
9601 103 2021-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

Tell us the truth, DJI. Are you working on firmware for Pocket 2 that will fix the bugs and problems it has, or is the last thing you did was paint it white?
2021-11-15
Use props
Alien433
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23054 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Its for a long time and they will never tell. I will leave dji and already have one insta360 cam much better.
2021-11-15
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

You’re optimistic if you think they will give anything but a canned response. Even if a new firmware was being released tomorrow they still wouldnt say.
2021-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

They never tell (and never will tell probably).
It only leads to disappointments and users being mad about features that were not added.

I think there won't be a new update for the Pocket 2.
There is not enough reason to.

I personally don't have any big things that need to be addressed, I can shoot almost exactly how I want on the Pocket 2
2021-11-16
Use props
element33
lvl.2
Russia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 00:20
It only leads to disappointments and users being mad about features that were not added.

Except that the 4k 60fps camera actually doesn't shoot 4k 60fps. Tracking functions, flickering and much more are worth keeping quiet about.  Dji should fix at least a basic problem.
2021-11-16
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Yeah, going silent isn't making them look good. But I doubt they won't reply here... unfortunately.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

element33 Posted at 11-16 00:35
Except that the 4k 60fps camera actually doesn't shoot 4k 60fps. Tracking functions, flickering and much more are worth keeping quiet about.  Dji should fix at least a basic problem.

Remove the do it all handle. It will shoot 4K - 60fps.
It can't with the do it all handle attached.

What flickering?
I never have flickering.
Only stuttering when I have a too fast shutterspeed with too fast motion (in that case, I need to add my ND filter), but that is not DJI's fault, but our brain.

I don't use tracking, so I can't complain about that. I shoot with my hands

There is one or two things I would like DJI to improve on the Pocket 2, but no bugs that I know off.
2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 00:20
It only leads to disappointments and users being mad about features that were not added.

Thats not 100% true,  they did once tell us a new firmware was coming to fix the mini2 battery issue.   But it was a statement to the press not here.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-16 00:45
Thats not 100% true,  they did once tell us a new firmware was coming to fix the mini2 battery issue.   But it was a statement to the press not here.

Yes, I remember that one.
And I think there have been some announcements for drone updates, but never for a Pocket / Osmo etc.
2021-11-16
Use props
element33
lvl.2
Russia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 00:41
[view_image]

Bro this is a fake mode... as well as 4k50fps / 48fps.
Guys from the russian forum have figured it out a long time ago. I am very glad for you that you do not notice the difference.  
Flickering is a common problem especially in snowy conditions.  this has been discussed many times.  Dji said there was nothing they could do about it.
IMG_20211116_115050_619.jpg
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

element33 Posted at 11-16 00:56
Guys from the russian forum have figured it out a long time ago. I am very glad for you that you do not notice the difference.  
Flickering is a common problem especially in snowy conditions.  this has been discussed many times.  Dji said there was nothing they could do about it.

I will check the 50fps footage I have (I don't use 60, since I'm in PAL area).

I wonder what flickering that is. Since I never experience that.
2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 00:51
Yes, I remember that one.
And I think there have been some announcements for drone updates, but never for a Pocket / Osmo etc.

Agreed,  I dont recall that for any of Pockets.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

element33 Posted at 11-16 00:56

Just checked some 4K 50fps clips and see no problems.
Every frame has new information, no interpolating going on.  
There is more compression compared to the 2.7K, but that makes sense (check your iPhone, it is the same)

Nothing 'fake' about that.
If you need raw footage at 4K, you need to invest in serious camera's.
But you also need quite a hefty PC to process all that data.

However, I find that 2.7K is the best resolution to work with.
Most people (myself included) will be watching on 1080p max, so the added resolution vs extra filesize is not worth it for me.
Also it renders much quicker.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-16 01:01
Agreed,  I dont recall that for any of Pockets.

It has been quite a while since any update has been made to the P2 actually.
However, I think there is not much to improve if you are taking the small size and price into consideration.
I do have complaints about changing settings, but that is related to the tiny screen (which is also a bonus, so hey, you can't have it all).
I know it is not a pro level camera. But at € 300,- I think that is not fair to expect.  
2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 01:17
It has been quite a while since any update has been made to the P2 actually.
However, I think there is not much to improve if you are taking the small size and price into consideration.
I do have complaints about changing settings, but that is related to the tiny screen (which is also a bonus, so hey, you can't have it all).

Someone said the other day that once its paired with the phone,  you cant pair it to another phone say if you upgrade your phone.   That seems like something that should be fixed.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-16 01:19
Someone said the other day that once its paired with the phone,  you cant pair it to another phone say if you upgrade your phone.   That seems like something that should be fixed.

I'm sure there are bugs.
It does not get a lot of DJI-attention I think.
But for 95% of my use it is perfectly fine.
And there is no other camera that I know off that is this small and delivers exactly what I want.
So I will live with the small quirks.
2021-11-16
Use props
element33
lvl.2
Russia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 01:14
Just checked some 4K 50fps clips and see no problems.
Every frame has new information, no interpolating going on.  
There is more compression compared to the 2.7K, but that makes sense (check your iPhone, it is the same)

It is technically impossible to process raw data at 60fps full FOV with 16MP imx686 on the h22 chipset.
Dji p2 takes data from the sensor in 2k binning mode at full FOV and the codec block interpolating data up to 4k.
This is usually done by manufacturers of cheap Chinese cameras based on OEM pcb boards.
In the case of 4k30 mode, the data is taken at full resolution 4624x2601 and then downscaled to 4k.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

element33 Posted at 11-16 01:50
It is technically impossible to process raw data at 60fps full FOV with 16MP imx686 on the h22 chipset.
Dji p2 takes data from the sensor in 2k binning mode at full FOV and the codec block interpolating data up to 4k.
This is usually done by manufacturers of cheap Chinese cameras based on OEM pcb boards.

That explains why 2.7K looks better to my eyes.
2021-11-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't foresee any future firmware updates for P2.  I'm sure P3 is in development already.  
2021-11-16
Use props
WobblingWillie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9060581 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 00:41
[view_image]

Mine will shoot 4k 60 with the do it all handle attached.
2021-11-16
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder what drones have fake 4k 60p like the p2?
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

WobblingWillie Posted at 11-16 14:47
Mine will shoot 4k 60 with the do it all handle attached.

I don't have the do it all handle, but I remember there was something not possible when it was attached (and I think it was 4K 60fps)
But good to hear, as I'm about to get one.
2021-11-16
Use props
Ricardo Vieira
lvl.4
Portugal

Mine in 4k/60fps I notice flickering... only visible when slowing down, not in every scenario... sometimes it does sometimes not... but most of the times in every second of footage there's a frame that's darker than the rest. I always shoot at 4k, but I'll try another resolution, since I see people saying that 2.7k looks better.

As for the firmware I don't believe there's gonna be one... I expected more from a bigger sensor compared to de pocket 1.
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi alexmbraMav.
I saw your comments on the other thread.
1.flicker thing
flicker happens when shutter speed is not with the indoor light freq. (say for 50hz electricity region, if you wan to shoot in 60fps, the shutter speed should be 1/100s, (it cannot reach 1/50s for 60fps))
cinematic /DSLR always needs ND filters and manual shutter speed: 1/100 with a desired iso. you may try pocket2 in Pro mode. set Exposure 1/100s shutter speed, and auto iso say 100~6400 to try the shoot.
2.HDR crop.
it is the bottleneck of sensor data rate output, which software cannot help.
3. 4k60 on do it handle.
cineLike color 4K60 is not available when do-it-all handle on. it is a tiny device and reach the cpu loading limit for cinelike color. Use normal color will be fine.
4. 4K tracking issue
we do have a beta firmware to improve 4K tracking firmware.  we will reach you out and see whether you want to try that.
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi alexmbraMav, please refer to the reply from our R&D team on floor 29#. By the way, I have sent you the beta firmware to improve 4K tracking via PM, please check it. Thanks.
2021-11-19
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Switzerland

Good to hear (read) that a firmware update for Pocket 2 is on the way. I hope that after so long time waiting for this event, it will successfully address the (almost) all of the main issues reported so many times by those who are using this concept camera.
2021-11-19
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-18 18:22
Hi alexmbraMav.
I saw your comments on the other thread.
1.flicker thing

Thank you for the heads-up, glad to hear there is a firmware update coming up :-) Also, while it is sad to hear that not all issues can be addressed through a firmware update, I at least appreciate you for telling us that truth and not just being silent about it.

While I myself mostly stick to FullHD resolution, it is great to hear you are attempting to fix the 4K tracking, as that certainly leaves a lot to be desired at it's current state. So I'm certain that is welcome news for those shooting more at 4K.

One additional question about the upcoming firmware: Is it possible to enable the possibility to charge through an AC adapter and record at the same time without overheating issues by a firmware update, or is that a physical limitation that cannot be fixed with firmware? If it is possible to be enabled, will this be addressed in the firmware update? I think that being able to both film and power through an AC adapter would open many more possibilities for using the Pocket 2, without the fear of it turning off in the middle of recording.

Thank you for your reply, and thank you also for the upcoming update :-)
2021-11-19
Use props
Alien433
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23054 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi alexmbraMav.
I saw your comments on the other thread.
1.flicker thing

I also want to try beta firmware. Because of many bugs i d not use the pocket 2 now.
2021-11-19
Use props
Yayoastur
lvl.4
Spain

Alien433 Posted at 11-19 11:57
I also want to try beta firmware. Because of many bugs i d not use the pocket 2 now.

I  want to try the beta firmware as well.
2021-11-19
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HGDC84 Posted at 11-19 08:16
Thank you for the heads-up, glad to hear there is a firmware update coming up :-) Also, while it is sad to hear that not all issues can be addressed through a firmware update, I at least appreciate you for telling us that truth and not just being silent about it.

While I myself mostly stick to FullHD resolution, it is great to hear you are attempting to fix the 4K tracking, as that certainly leaves a lot to be desired at it's current state. So I'm certain that is welcome news for those shooting more at 4K.

Hi HGDC84.
if the pocket battery is fully charged, no charging heat will be generated.
otherwise, the adapter will keep charging battery. additional heat will be generated.
2021-11-23
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-23 01:51
Hi HGDC84.
if the pocket battery is fully charged, no charging heat will be generated.
otherwise, the adapter will keep charging battery. additional heat will be generated.

Does that mean that I CAN keep the Pocket 2 connected to an AC adapter and record at the same time if the battery is already fully charged?

I am getting somewhat confused by the somewhat conflicting statements from different DJI guys.
2021-11-23
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HGDC84 Posted at 11-23 08:30
Does that mean that I CAN keep the Pocket 2 connected to an AC adapter and record at the same time if the battery is already fully charged?

I am getting somewhat confused by the somewhat conflicting statements from different DJI guys.

pocket2 already achieve a quite long duration for high resolution/fps. (you can compare any camera, personally I do not hv any camera better than pocket )
For continue recording, it depends on the environment temperature , air flow .etc.

Back to the question. you can use that way with AC on, but not officially recommended. because the operation does make battery charge in practical use. And theoretically charging cycle is limited for every kind of battery life.
2021-11-23
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-23 17:41
pocket2 already achieve a quite long duration for high resolution/fps. (you can compare any camera, personally I do not hv any camera better than pocket )
For continue recording, it depends on the environment temperature , air flow .etc.

I am not claiming the battery life of the Pocket 2 to be bad, or worse than some other cameras with the same resolution or fps - it's just that, for instance, having a timelapse duration option for, say, five hours feels strange if the battery life of the camera is only 140 minutes long at max - unless you can use a power bank or connect it to an AC adapter for that. And I can't remember hearing many other cameras say you shouldn't charge and record at the same time - some even have separate AC adapters for them to extend the recording time.

I also am thinking some certain use scenarios where using an AC adapter could provide additional benefits - for instance, when I am filming a discussion panel in a building with access to AC power, so I could record with the camera directed towards the speakers while controlling the action in audience with DIA Handle and an Android phone, enabling me to capture footage without needing to stand between the audience and the speakers. Using an AC adapter and recording at the same time could help record even longer discussions without the need to worry about the battery running out.

But I'll have to consider my actions according to the scenarios - I may have found a power bank that could solve my problem. But having the AC adapter option would certainly be a plus.
2021-11-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi alexmbraMav.
I saw your comments on the other thread.
1.flicker thing

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I really appreciate this as a Pocket 2 owner!
2021-11-25
Use props
Yayoastur
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-19 00:27
Hi alexmbraMav, please refer to the reply from our R&D team on floor 29#. By the way, I have sent you the beta firmware to improve 4K tracking via PM, please check it. Thanks.

Others users of OP2 want to try the new beta as well. is possible?
2021-11-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Yayoastur Posted at 11-25 01:18
Others users of OP2 want to try the new beta as well. is possible?

Hi Yayoastur, I have sent you a PM. Please check it.
2021-11-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Alien433 Posted at 11-19 11:57

Hi there, I have sent you a PM. Please check it.
2021-11-25
Use props
TommyBento
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-25 01:40
Hi Yayoastur, I have sent you a PM. Please check it.

Plz pm me with the beta firmware.
2021-11-25
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Is there a specific version of Mimo required for the beta firmware? Or can it be installed using a PC? Is there an ETA for the final version of firmware?
2021-11-25
Use props
WAFDO
lvl.1
Belgium

Hello

i'll be very happy to help you by testing this new update.

All the best

Th
2021-11-25
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules