Buffering delay AEB.....
537 17 2021-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark MaoGowan
lvl.2

Australia

When I shoot AEB 3 shots in jpeg/raw there is always a 5 second delay to take the next shot as the card is buffering, despite it being a fast sd card! In the meantime, no controls on the screen can be used! So this poses a risk as the screen goes from being live to a fixed shot of the last image taken!
This is no good if there are risks of birds potentially attcking the drone or it manouvres away due to wind or something.
Fix this issue please.

2021-11-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mark MaoGowan. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and can you please try to check if the firmware of your DJI drone is on it's most recent one? Thank you.
2021-11-16
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-16 20:51
Hello there Mark MaoGowan. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and can you please try to check if the firmware of your DJI drone is on it's most recent one? Thank you.

It's not typical a smart phone that causes the problem, Stephen.

While the drone is buffering, you get a non-responsive life screen. The drone does react to all commands from the controller, but the video feed doesn't follow for a couple of seconds. I got it with a Samsung S20fe 5G as well with the DJI smart controller.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have this too with the Mini 2.
It apparently is too much data to chew.
2021-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I'm using an iPhone SE 2020, so it should have enough specs.
(I think it is something in the drone, not in the device, but I could be wrong)
2021-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have this too,  seems normal.
2021-11-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I cant remember, i think i would have noticed mind, perhaps i did and forgot, i have the Note 20 Ultra 5G, i will try to make a point of checking next time i get it out..
2021-11-17
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Malaysia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-17 00:25
PS, I'm using an iPhone SE 2020, so it should have enough specs.
(I think it is something in the drone, not in the device, but I could be wrong)

I don't think you're wrong.
Buffer overflow on the drone's internal memory and a bit slow to dump all the data. Not just AEB, pano's have the same problem.
Giving the choice to have only RAW could help, as I use JPG+RAW. The drone has to write the RAW picture, process the JPG (which I do not need) and write the JPG. A lot of useless handling that could be avoided.
2021-11-17
Use props
Mark MaoGowan
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-16 20:51
Hello there Mark MaoGowan. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and can you please try to check if the firmware of your DJI drone is on it's most recent one? Thank you.

It has the latest firmware. The phone is a Samsung S20.
The issue is in the hardware. It needs looking at by DJI technicians and a update to speed this buffering up as it could be a hazard if the user has no control on the video feed.
2021-11-17
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Malaysia

Mark MaoGowan Posted at 11-17 16:01
It has the latest firmware. The phone is a Samsung S20.
The issue is in the hardware. It needs looking at by DJI technicians and a update to speed this buffering up as it could be a hazard if the user has no control on the video feed.

I am affraid it is a hardware limitation. Not a software or firmware problem. To solve that  kind of problem requires a hardware upgrade.
A faster processor, bigger memory buffer.
I personally don't think DJI will solve this, ... at least not in the mini2.
2021-11-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not so sure it's a big issue, to be honest, the few seconds whilst is buffering isn't going to be a life or death situation, 5 seconds wont mean you cannot land and it will drop from the sky, cause if that's the case, you shouldn't have took that extra shot ;) You know its limitation now, just fly accordingly now...
2021-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnDG Posted at 11-17 15:50
I don't think you're wrong.
Buffer overflow on the drone's internal memory and a bit slow to dump all the data. Not just AEB, pano's have the same problem.
Giving the choice to have only RAW could help, as I use JPG+RAW. The drone has to write the RAW picture, process the JPG (which I do not need) and write the JPG. A lot of useless handling that could be avoided.

I agree. And the preview files too.
They get quite big too. Especially with the AEB option that is quite some data.
2021-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnDG Posted at 11-17 18:57
I am affraid it is a hardware limitation. Not a software or firmware problem. To solve that  kind of problem requires a hardware upgrade.
A faster processor, bigger memory buffer.
I personally don't think DJI will solve this, ... at least not in the mini2.

It can even be 'intentional' (that they intentionally used less beefy hardware, since this is an entry level drone and they need space between the 3 lines they have)
2021-11-17
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Let's see... Drone creates 3 x 2 pictures in less than a second. Then it needs to store all that data on the SD card and send HD photos to the phone (if sync HD photos option is enabled). This will take some time. Even if you have a very fast SD card drone has a bus that can transfer only up to 100Mbit/s. Besides that, SD card can write fast to a single file, but are slow in new file creation. That means that creating 6 new files adds additional overhead.
2021-11-18
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Malaysia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-17 22:57
It can even be 'intentional' (that they intentionally used less beefy hardware, since this is an entry level drone and they need space between the 3 lines they have)

of course it is intentional. Can't install high speed processor and a lot of memory in a budget drone.

This is the lowest low end of their range. Because of better hardware, more memory, etc. you pay a lot more for a drone that can do that. Don't expect high end capabilities in a cheap drone (or any other equipment).
I'm flying an M2P and a Mini2. But I dont expect my mini2 to give me the same as a more expensive drone. It's all about expectations and budget.

The mini2 was set in the market for a certain purpose and audience. It's a nice drone ... for it's price.
2021-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnDG Posted at 11-18 06:21
of course it is intentional. Can't install high speed processor and a lot of memory in a budget drone.

This is the lowest low end of their range. Because of better hardware, more memory, etc. you pay a lot more for a drone that can do that. Don't expect high end capabilities in a cheap drone (or any other equipment).

Too bad they don't have a <250g drone that has more pro hardware (and software).
I would love to pay more for that.
2021-11-18
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Malaysia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-18 06:27
Too bad they don't have a

That indeed is a pity.

I bought the mini2 for occasionally taking a picture (with less quality) and to fly at places where the M2P is to noisy and taking too much attention.
But if I want a good landscape picture my M2P is still the only way to go. At the moment I'm not bound to Euro laws. I will see how the drone landscape will evolve before buying a new drone.
By the time I need to fly in Euro airspace, some drones (maybe M3P) will have a classification and lower pricing.
2021-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnDG Posted at 11-18 17:26
That indeed is a pity.

I bought the mini2 for occasionally taking a picture (with less quality) and to fly at places where the M2P is to noisy and taking too much attention.

Yeah, I bought the Mini2 just because of the new regulations and would instantly upgrade if it had a slightly better featureset.
(d-cinelike, second controller wheel, better camera, more flight modes)
2021-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules