Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging Osmo Pocket While Connected To Phone?
4523 14 2021-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

Is it possible for me to connect my Osmo Pocket to the phone from the upper (universal) port while charging the Osmo Pocket from the port on the bottom? Would it work? I could try it right now but I'm suspicious if it's gonna short circuit.
The phone drains the Osmo Pocket's battery very fast, that's why I'm asking this.
2021-11-17
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Can't help answer your question other than to say that DJI doesn't recommend charging while using the Pocket due to heat issues.
This will set you back some money, but will solve the phone drain issue:

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket-wireless-module
2021-11-17
Use props
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

Curt1591 Posted at 11-17 02:54
Can't help answer your question other than to say that DJI doesn't recommend charging while using the Pocket due to heat issues.

I really thought about the wireless module but unfortunately it's costly in my country, about 1/3 price of the camera itself. Who knows if I can get one in the future...
2021-11-17
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-17 02:54

Another insight to this reply.

For what I have understood, they don't recommend recharging WITH AN AC ADAPTER when using it. Using a power bank instead for extending the shooting time while recording should be okay. For longer timelapses, AFAIK, it's actually the only option of powering the Osmo Pocket long enough (the battery life in Osmo Pocket is at maximum 140 minutes when at 1080p 30fps, and the longer preset timelapse settings can go even up to 5 hours, so it would never make it through without external power!)
2021-11-17
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

HGDC84 Posted at 11-17 08:21
Another insight to this reply.

For what I have understood, they don't recommend recharging WITH AN AC ADAPTER when using it. Using a power bank instead for extending the shooting time while recording should be okay. For longer timelapses, AFAIK, it's actually the only option of powering the Osmo Pocket long enough (the battery life in Osmo Pocket is at maximum 140 minutes when at 1080p 30fps, and the longer preset timelapse settings can go even up to 5 hours, so it would never make it through without external power!)

Before I read about DJI's concurrent charging/shooting disclaimer, I did try using a power bank. However, after a relatively short period, the power bank shut off as if the charge was complete. Don't know if it could have just been that particular power bank.
2021-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Curt1591 Posted at 11-17 14:28
Before I read about DJI's concurrent charging/shooting disclaimer, I did try using a power bank. However, after a relatively short period, the power bank shut off as if the charge was complete. Don't know if it could have just been that particular power bank.

Mine keeps on providing power.
2021-11-17
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Montfrooij Posted at 11-17 23:55
Mine keeps on providing power.

Yet another DJI qwerk!
2021-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Curt1591 Posted at 11-18 01:17
Yet another DJI qwerk!

Enjoy it while you can
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Yes, you can use your DJI Osmo Pocket while charging the unit. However, it still recommended to fully charge the unit before using it as the battery life might be affected by the heat. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2021-11-18
Use props
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-18 05:06
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Yes, you can use your DJI Osmo Pocket while charging the unit. However, it still recommended to fully charge the unit before using it as the battery life might be affected by the heat. Thank you for your understanding and support.

No I mean you can charge the Osmo Pocket while using it, but how about while it's connected to the phone?

Example below. How if the Osmo Pocket is on, connected to the phone (number 1) but also connected to the power bank from the bottom port (number 2)?
2021-11-18
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

MuhlisG Posted at 11-18 06:05
No I mean you can charge the Osmo Pocket while using it, but how about while it's connected to the phone?

Example below. How if the Osmo Pocket is on, connected to the phone (number 1) but also connected to the power bank from the bottom port (number 2)?

The Pocket would be charging from its bottom USB-C port.

What's the question? Am I missing something?
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MuhlisG Posted at 11-18 06:05

Example below. How if the Osmo Pocket is on, connected to the phone (number 1) but also connected to the power bank from the bottom port (number 2)?

Yes, it will as long as you connected your mobile device on the mid port of the unit.
2021-11-19
Use props
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-19 06:08
Yes, it will as long as you connected your mobile device on the mid port of the unit.

That's good! Then I'm gonna try it. I'll update this post if it worked.
Edit: It worked! I can see the battery indicator turns green when I plug it into the power bank while connected to the phone via the mid port.
2021-11-19
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 11-17 14:28

My guess is that a) the battery of the Pocket 2 needs to be more empty than charged, and b) the longest duration of power feed is gained by using a charger that supports trickle charge mode, feeding only a little power while using, thus lengthening the duration of the charging process.
2021-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MuhlisG Posted at 11-19 06:44
That's good! Then I'm gonna try it. I'll update this post if it worked.
Edit: It worked! I can see the battery indicator turns green when I plug it into the power bank while connected to the phone via the mid port.

Thank you for your response. We're glad that you already tried it on your end without any issues. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you.
2021-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules