Forward / backward vison camera sensor Error
755 9 2021-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OlivierJ
lvl.1
France

so dissapointing.... i bought the DJI mini 2 one month ago and did less than than 10 flights and crash it against a wall.... see attachement
I was flying the drone in the nature around a old broken castle.  graet weather, line of sights, etc
the castle was 1.2km away so i thought i would not be a problem as it says that the drone can fly 10km away.  However, when i went around the castle (only 3 walls remains), the drone lost signal with the remote ..... and then got the message "Return to home"....pfffff i thought it is all good..... and then lost the drone and never came back
Jumped into my car and get to the castle and i found it (after one hour search) ... thanks to Find My drone feature.

However, i don't undertand why the RTH didn't work , or may be the castle is at 102m high and the RTH uses 100m at altitude to come back
anyway, i got back the drone but now i got the messages Forward vison camera sensor error AND backward camera sensor error and the drone refuses to fly anymore

what should I do? how can i fix it?

so dissapointing... is there NOT a anti-collision sensor? how the drone can smash directly into a solid wall? i was going to get 2 drones to my borthers and i am wondering if i should buy another model? any suggestion please let me know

did i miss something with the drone configuration?
How can i get this fixed before xmas holidays??

thanks for your help.

IMG_1879.jpg
2021-11-17
Use props
ManiekWwa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280026 ft
Poland

Mini 2 has NOT any anti-collision sensors. Altitude of RTH you should set in the Fly app.
10 km is only available in theory. 3-4km in real conditions and rather with FCC mode (stronger signal - not allowed in Europe).
Standard distance without FCC is rather no more then 1-2km in the area without interference (rural area)  and less then 1km in a urban area.

2021-11-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there OlivierJ. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mini 2, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-11-17
Use props
OlivierJ
lvl.1
France

ManiekWwa Posted at 11-17 01:51
Mini 2 has NOT any anti-collision sensors. Altitude of RTH you should set in the Fly app.
10 km is only available in theory. 3-4km in real conditions and rather with FCC mode (stronger signal - not allowed in Europe).
Standard distance without FCC is rather no more then 1-2km in the area without interference (rural area)  and less then 1km in a urban area.

Thanks for replying.  
Good to know.  It is a shame that DJI make is so clear about 10km distance when in fact it is more or less 1 to 2 km. I am in a rural area and the signal get lost at 1.2m line of sight
DJI should give a warning when the signal get weak so the user knows to get back the Drone closer …

Again thanks
2021-11-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OlivierJ Posted at 11-17 03:25
Thanks for replying.  
Good to know.  It is a shame that DJI make is so clear about 10km distance when in fact it is more or less 1 to 2 km. I am in a rural area and the signal get lost at 1.2m line of sight
DJI should give a warning when the signal get weak so the user knows to get back the Drone closer …

It can fly 10km in ideal conditions, but that's 1 way, you wont  fly it back though, you will have to go get it
2021-11-17
Use props
ManiekWwa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280026 ft
Poland

OlivierJ Posted at 11-17 03:25
Thanks for replying.  

Theoretically it gives wornings in Fly App and shows strength of signal but last couple of Fly App versions are not predictable and unstable. In many cases last useable version for Android is 1.4.4.
Sometimes app shows strong signal, no wornings but video transmition starts stuttering.
Mini 2 it is a great little drone but unfortunately Fly App is getting worse and worse.
2021-11-18
Use props
OlivierJ
lvl.1
France

Thanks foe the reply.  Considering the investment of AUD$1000, it would good to get proper software and collision warning as one issue and $1000 straight to the bin…
Also, the shop which sold me the drone didn’t mentioned the after care /extra warranty to buy to get cheaper replacement / reparation …
Arhhhhhhhb
2021-11-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you post the .txt  flight log for the flight?
If you go to the web page https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ you will find instructions for accessing the log. You likely need to copy the log to your computer. Upload the log to that website and post the URL for the resulting page here.

If you do decide to upload the log I would copy all the flight logs to your computer, including the DAT flight logs in the ''MCDatFlightRecords'' folder.

You might also like to read https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... alysis-guide.78627/

Since the Mini 2 does not have forward or backward sensors can you post a screen capture of the warning message you see?

With regards to loosing signal at 1.2km, I assume the castle was between the drone and the controller, if that is correct then you likely had several feet of solid rock wall blocking the signal. Do you think that might be a bad thing? I do.
With regards to being 1.2km away from the drone, you may have been able to see the castle but I very much doubt you could see the drone at that distance. That is not a good thing for a new, inexperienced pilot to be doing and likely not legal.
I doubt the castle walls are 100m+ tall, so if their tops are over 100m above the take off point then the castle itself and the ground around it is well above the take off point.
If that is correct then
1) the likely legal height limit around the castle is 100m+ above the ground around the castle.
2) if you had the RTH height set (in the App) to 100m then, for that portion of the flight, it was set inappropriately.
If, for example, the ground around the castle was 60m above the take off point, and using your cited ceiling of 100m, then the RTH height around the castle should have been set to 160m in the app.
That said when the Mini 2 looses connection with the controller it will, providing the failsafe/lost-signai response is set to RTH, "....... fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH........"
Depending on what course the Mini2 flew over the 50m of flight before you lost the connection, this could have brought it back into communication with the controller.

With regards to the likes of care refresh, you quote a purchase price for the drone in what may be Australian Dollar, yet have your location as France. If your activated the drone in Australia and would have bought Care refresh in Australia then I think you will find that things get complicated and it isn't really something you can use whilst travelling etc. etc.

In short, unless the log shows something unusual, I think this will go down as pilot error and or inexperience.
2021-11-18
Use props
OlivierJ
lvl.1
France

thnaks for the reply.   the drove was flying around the castle and yes it was behind a wall. the castle is only on or 2 walls left (see the picture).  the castle wall is on top of a hill, so the top of the wall is over 100m but obviously the wall is may be 20m.
when i can see is the drone lost signal and try to RTH. RTH altitude was set to 100m, so the drone crashed in the wall in it return to home.  the top of the wall was only 1.5m higher :-(
i used the DJI assistant app and downloaded the dat file.
Yes i bought the drone in australia and i am in france for holidays.  I just sent to drone to DJI repair in the Netherlands.  Awaiting the diagnostic.....
PS: for sure the error message was dispaying Forward sensor camera error aand sometimes downward (not backward) sensor error.  i didn;t get a screenshot of the message
2021-11-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unfortunately the DAT file from the drone is of no use to us, it's encrypted but DJI can read it.
Ditto, I think, the DAT from the phone, but I'd hang onto the both DAT's if you got them. DJI may want copies.

If you fly such a flight again, get the drone level with the top of the structure/obstacle and then set the RTH 10m higher than that. A flight behind something higher then your RTH and or your maximum height is tempting fate and as you found out a recipe for disaster.

Did you get the .txt. flight log off the phone?
2021-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules