Phantom 4 RTK Smart Controller - Units of Measurement Issue
1694 6 2021-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
f_marshall
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

My company recently acquired a Phantom 4 RTK with the smart-controller. I am having issues with the "Units of Measurements". Our company uses imperial (feet) units. Within the smart controller, I have set the "Units of Measurements" to imperial. As one would expect, this changed most of the units from metric (the default setting) to imperial.

This is where I am having issues. While most of the units have switched to imperial, the units have not change for the "Height" field for mission planning (see attached image). This "Height" field still says meters instead of feet. This is not simply a display error on the smart controller. I ran a "2D Photogrammetry" mission the other day with the "Height" field set to 100. I thought I was setting it to 100 ft, but during the actual flight I was getting a height reading of approximately 330 ft on the controller - which is approximately 100 meters.  I wasn't sure the issue at first, but after some troubleshooting, I found that the "Height" field in the mission planning was still saying meters.

Is there another setting that I need to adjust to change the "Height" field in the mission planning from meters to feet? Or is this a bug in the software?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Frank

Height still shows meters, even though the Units of Measurement is set to imperial.

Height still shows meters, even though the Units of Measurement is set to imperial.
2021-11-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Frank, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Currently, some of the specs like the mapping area/the length of the mission support imperial units. However, the height and speed are still counted as meters. They do not support imperial units. You may need to use metric units when setting the height and speed. Hope for your understanding.
2021-11-18
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmmm, I replied to this yesterday but not sure where it went... Yeah what @DJI Susan said- even when you set the units to imperial, the mission planning specs (GSD, altitude, speed) all must still be set in metric. Just another example of how GS RTK is still pretty much half-baked. In 3 year old supposedly "enterprise" software...
2021-11-18
Use props
f_marshall
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-18 03:08
Hi Frank, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Currently, some of the specs like the mapping area/the length of the mission support imperial units. However, the height and speed are still counted as meters. They do not support imperial units. You may need to use metric units when setting the height and speed. Hope for your understanding.

Thanks for the info @DJI Susan. Are there any plans to fix this software bug in the near future? It can be a bit confusing when half the GS RTK app is in imperial and the other is in metric.
2021-11-19
Use props
f_marshall
lvl.1

United States

patiam Posted at 11-18 16:49
Hmmm, I replied to this yesterday but not sure where it went... Yeah what @DJI Susan said- even when you set the units to imperial, the mission planning specs (GSD, altitude, speed) all must still be set in metric. Just another example of how GS RTK is still pretty much half-baked. In 3 year old supposedly "enterprise" software...

Thanks for info patiam. I'm surprised this hasn't been resolved after 3 years. Do you know if there is a bug reporting system for DJI? I did a quick google search and found some forum questions regarding a reporting system. It appeared there wasn't one, but I may have looked in the wrong spot.
2021-11-19
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Frank-
I'm not sure what the bug report system might be, but would appreciate you sharing it if you find it!
The P4R is a good system, it's too bad it is hobbled by so many lame glitches and gotchas. The software/firmware has been updated a couple times, but I'd be surprised if they're paying any attention to fixing issues or making enhancements at this point. It's just not the DJI way.

Safe flying!
2021-11-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

f_marshall Posted at 11-19 05:33
Thanks for the info @DJI Susan. Are there any plans to fix this software bug in the near future? It can be a bit confusing when half the GS RTK app is in imperial and the other is in metric.

I will forward your feedback about this request to our engineers. Hopefully, it can be optimized in the future.
2021-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules