Polarizing filter for Mavic 3? Should upgrade from M2Pro?
1028 10 2021-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kyniek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 849403 ft
Poland

Hi! I'm quite happy owner of Mavic 2 Pro - I added polarizing filter -  this is huge upgrade... New mavic was released - on paper it's features  are outstanding - but please correct me if I'm to enthusiastic ;p Is it  worth upgrading?

Second question - a deal breaker one - does anyone know about polarizing filters to M3? Maybe some rumors?
2021-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Freewell do polarised filters for M3, If you can afford, look at the quality of Photos and Video, this will be the main reason everyone buys. If you feel they are worth the change and you can afford the high price “get it” if not don’t.
2021-11-18
Use props
Kyniek
lvl.1
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 11-18 15:54
Freewell do polarised filters for M3, If you can afford, look at the quality of Photos and Video, this will be the main reason everyone buys. If you feel they are worth the change and you can afford the high price “get it” if not don’t.

Wow! THX! Please correct me - they are sending also to europe? Are they located in China?

One more question ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL  have also polarizing functions? They are writing about hybrid function - but is for example ND8/PL as good as single polarizing filter? Are any drawback of such hybrid filter?

And why google couldn't find them? What's wrong with google?
2021-11-18
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

If you can bear to wait until January for the missing features, I would. It'll also give you time to weigh up the value of upgrading as more and more footage and experience becomes available.
2021-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Kyniek Posted at 11-18 16:31
Wow! THX! Please correct me - they are sending also to europe? Are they located in China?

One more question ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL  have also polarizing functions? They are writing about hybrid function - but is for example ND8/PL as good as single polarizing filter? Are any drawback of such hybrid filter?

there you go and yes the ship worldwide, you can also buy filters in single or packs.
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Kyniek. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have purchased the new DJI Mavic 3 and uses a Polarizing Filter on the said DJI drone can give out the best information and there recommendation on the DJI Mavic 3. Just a friendly, reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones . These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Actually, there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2021-11-18
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I personally find polarizers more usable on telephoto lenses. On wide-angle ones, which are the drones' primary weapon, they tend to create an unsightly halo which is difficult to cure in post.
Granted, M3 has a telephoto one as well, but it it becomes usable for the professional quality work (as opposed to pure fun/explore mode) is still remains to be seen.
Just my 2c.
2021-11-18
Use props
HerrMittmann
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2362441 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I don't quite see the use of polarizers on drones.

They are only good if you can manually change the rotation, depending on your camera angle towards the sun etc.
But therefore you need to be able to grab your lens...which is kinda impossible, if your drone is in the air.

So, having a PL filter on a drone is kinda "hit or miss".
I would really just buy regular ND filters.

And if you're currently having a Mavic 2 pro, I would NOT Upgrade right now.
Too many features are still missing. The Flight App needs some Updates...you won't be able to fully replace your M2P in the current state and in the end you're just frustrated since you still need to use both drones. One for Task A, one for Task B...

Just wait until January/February, you won't miss anything (:
2021-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Might be worth waiting to see what happens with the Eu classification for the drone.   
2021-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I never used PL filters much on a drone.
The angle of the light changes constantly while flying, but you can't change the rotation of the filter since the drone is away.
2021-11-19
Use props
Kyniek
lvl.1
Poland

I'm using  PGYTECH DJI Mavic 2 Pro CPL Lens Filter on my M2 Pro

The best effect is when camera is looking perpendicular to sun rays. When camera is directed towards sun or sun is behind - there is no such effect.  After that what you wrote I started thinking - why polarize filters usually rotates? PGYTECH  CPL worked fine for me because I was expecting the strongest effect being directed 90 degree to sun. I'm also passionate about taking landscape photos with my DLSR and I noticed when I tune CPL filter by rotating to have maximum effect I rarely have to change it's position - but in DLSR filter can be oriented differently , depends from lens, how you rotate your DLSR (landscape/portrait/whatever) ... so that is the one reason why they can spin - another is that not always you need maximum effect... This are my thoughts in short words.

For M2 Pro there is no need of rotating because its camera is always in "landscape" mode orientation, and there is only one way to mount that filter.  DJI released set of ND filters for Mavic 3 - but why they can release also CPL as PGYTECH  for M2 Pro? Maybe they will...

For me PL filter is very valuable thing as I'm taking many pictures over water (small lakes and so on..) it removes reflections, also gives more blue sky - most of pistures I'm taking 90 degree to sun or with sun behind...

BTW I found few topics type of "why CPL filter spins/rotates" , one of them :
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2549433

but no clear answer why ;p

I guess I'll wait a bit with M3...
2021-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules