Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Purple Hue in DLOG - Possible Defect?
1119 11 2021-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

Greetings All,
I've been loving the way the Mavic 3 flies, but I'm having a heck of a time editing the DLOG files.  I did not have any issues previously using my P4P or M2P.  My results with both were very pleasing.  However, I'm finding some pretty egregious looking purple hues in my videos that have been puzzling me, to the point where I am wondering if I may have a defective unit.

I have some pictures below - it is most noticeable in the color red.  I have red barns on my property - I know what they're supposed to look like, and my P4P and M2P never had issues properly displaying them.  For whatever reason, when I edit my videos of the barns, they come out looking purple.  If I adjust the red Hue in Premiere (Hue vs Hue), I can correct it.  However, I feel like I shouldn't be having this problem to begin with.  I'm trying to figure out if this is just the way these DLOG files behave and I need to get used to it, or if I do in fact have a defective sensor.

I am using the DJI Mavic 3 DLOG to Rec 709 LUT as a starting point, then adding additional contrast, saturation etc from there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I'm including screenshots of the video in Premiere Pro, as well as screenshots of my settings.  I like high contrast and saturation, but I just reviewed several of my old sessions with my P4P and M2P and I often pushed saturation even higher than this without the color shift.  I purchased from Best Buy, and my local BB has some in stock, so I could swap easily if I need to.  I just want to have this figured out before I go on vacation in a few weeks.

DLOG, Untouched:

Mavic 3 - Barn Screenshot - DLOG - 11-17-21.JPG

DLOG, Edited, Pre-Hue Adjustment:

Mavic 3 - Barn Screenshot - Edit (Pre-Hue Adjustment) - 11-17-21.JPG

DLOG, Edited, with Red Hue Correction:

Mavic 3 - Barn Screenshot - Edit - 11-17-21.JPG

DLOG Unedited Waveform Luma Scopes:

Mavic 3 - Barn Settings - Waveform Luma Scopes (DLOG).JPG

Premiere Settings:
Mavic 3 - Barn Settings - Basic Correction.JPG Mavic 3 - Barn Settings - Creative.JPG

Red Hue Correction in Premiere:

Mavic 3 - Barn Settings - Red Hue Correction.JPG

2021-11-18
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

My first guess would be the DLOG to 709 LUT is not suited to this particular implementation of DLOG. Maybe DJI needs to give us a LUT specific to the M3 sensor and DLOG implementation.
2021-11-18
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

ianwood Posted at 11-18 23:08
My first guess would be the DLOG to 709 LUT is not suited to this particular implementation of DLOG. Maybe DJI needs to give us a LUT specific to the M3 sensor and DLOG implementation.

Good thought, but actually I guess I should have noted, this is the Mavic 3 specific LUT, downloaded from the DJI site.  I'll edit my original post to reflect that.
2021-11-18
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chest Rockwell Posted at 11-18 23:09
Good thought, but actually I guess I should have noted, this is the Mavic 3 specific LUT, downloaded from the DJI site.  I'll edit my original post to reflect that.

Ahh, well. That does sound like a defect. I have yet to use mine so I couldn't yet say for sure.
2021-11-18
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

It does seem to be mostly noticeable in shadowy or indirectly/softly lit areas.  Trees with no leaves in the distance can look purple before the correction as well.  I'm used to seeing blue shadows when pushing saturation and correcting for that, but purple is new to me, and not something I have seen on previous drones under similar flight and lighting conditions.  Strong sunlight on the subject does not seem to show quite as much of a push.
2021-11-18
Use props
HerrMittmann
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1306421 ft
  • >>>
Germany

There have been posts about this before.

Which camera settings did you use?
If I understood correctly, this issue comes when your aperture is wide open / has a small value.
2021-11-18
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

HerrMittmann Posted at 11-18 23:18
There have been posts about this before.

Which camera settings did you use?

Good question, thank you.  Yes I had mainly seen discussion of purple hues in photos, I may have missed video discussions.

This is 4k30fps, 1/60 shutter, 5100k WB.  My aperture was adjusted throughout the flight but landed mostly between f/4.0 and f/6.3.  I was using the DJI ND16 filter on this flight, but I noticed the purple hue push when I was using the clear filter as well.
2021-11-18
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

It's also worth noting that the problem is visible in the Normal profile too, though it's not quite as obvious.  On a side note, Normal really does look great, but I prefer having more creative control over the final image quality, especially when shooting high contrast scenes like sunsets, which is typically where I find DLOG to shine on other drones I've used (and in RAW files on my Nikons).
2021-11-18
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

Any thoughts from the day crowd?  I'm considering swapping mine out tonight and rolling the dice on a new unit at BB.
2021-11-19
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

UPDATE:

I got up in the air for a few minutes this afternoon as there were finally some clouds.  I took some shots with the clouds to see if there was any purple hue as others have seen - there was not.  There was a LITTLE with max dehaze, but I never go that hard on dehaze, I rarely go above 10 or 20 with it personally.

Video wise my results were much better today.  I'm beginning to think that it's an issue with purple noise in shadowy areas, and hopefully something that can be worked out with a firmware update.  I've been flying during my lunch break every day this week to try to test and practice with the drone before my upcoming vacation, which has resulted in a lot of flying in non-ideal conditions.  The lighting this afternoon was interesting, and the video was interesting as well as a result.

I'll keep testing but I'm going to hold off on returning it for now.  I don't have any gimbal tilt, my photos look fine -- I don't want to risk getting something worse with a swap out.  I'll keep practicing and hopefully some of the purple hue issues users have been seeing will be able to be corrected with firmware or an updated DLOG - Rec 709 profile.
2021-11-19
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Definitely good news there Chest. Glad to hear it. Hopefully your vacation flights will be fruitful and less haphazard than if you didn't put the hours in now. Enjoy.
2021-11-19
Use props
Brains2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 548222 ft
South Africa

Chest Rockwell Posted at 2021-11-19 13:29
UPDATE:

I got up in the air for a few minutes this afternoon as there were finally some clouds.  I took some shots with the clouds to see if there was any purple hue as others have seen - there was not.  There was a LITTLE with max dehaze, but I never go that hard on dehaze, I rarely go above 10 or 20 with it personally.

Interesting. I have for the first time started playing with D Log running at 4k. I have extream purple pinkish issues in the video footage. I am using the DJI Lut as well. Did you come up with any answers? The other thing I am having is banding in the sky
2023-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules