Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Hi,
As follow to my previous post, I shot in diffrent settings and uploaded it without editing.
I noticed the jitter is less noticible in higher fps but it still exists.

Do you feel as I do that the 24-25 fps is skipping frames and its basically ruins the footage?
Most of the jitter is noticeable in the lower part of the frame where the movment is significant.

2021-11-19
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

The first two are showing as "unavailable", but #3 and #4 actually look fine on my machine. That's odd because I've been noticing skips on other people's footage!

Out of interest, what shutter speeds are you using? Also, any ND filters?
2021-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I can't watch the first 2?
2021-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

It looks like the obvious stuttering from moving too fast when the shutterspeed is not slow enough.
Try to get to double the frame rate (so when you shoot 25pfs you need 1/50s shutterspeed).
It adds motion blur.
But you need ND filters for that to work.
Cheaper solution is to move slower
2021-11-20
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

Nicodema Posted at 11-19 08:24
The first two are showing as "unavailable", but #3 and #4 actually look fine on my machine. That's odd because I've been noticing skips on other people's footage!

Out of interest, what shutter speeds are you using? Also, any ND filters?

I have corrected the problem with the first 2.
I have kept using shutter speed of a double the fps in each sample.

In the 50-60 fps sample, the skipping of frames is less happening or less noticeable.

Look at the lower and upper part of the frame. There the strobe is much noticeable, especially in the regular frame rate of 25 per second.
2021-11-20
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 03:39
It looks like the obvious stuttering from moving too fast when the shutterspeed is not slow enough.
Try to get to double the frame rate (so when you shoot 25pfs you need 1/50s shutterspeed).
It adds motion blur.

Thanks for your reply.
I always use shutter speed of a double the fps.
Its not a shutter problem.
There is something like frame skipping in the footage which is a real problem tmho.
2021-11-20
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi Moshe, thanks for sorting the first two. I'm seeing them now as 60, 60, 50 and 25 fps. The first two look really smooth. The 3rd and 4th look less smooth, but just in a pull-down way. That's not surprising, since my MacBook is old and only supports the OG 60Hz. So the player is having to pull down or up to display 50/25 fps footage, so frames get displayed for slightly odd durations.

This doesn't irk me so much on your footage, but I did see some other footage that really chugged, and when I single stepped through the frames I could actually see dropped frames. There I think it was the editing workflow that had borked the footage.

When I do the same single stepping through your frames, the motion looks uniform, so the strobe like effect is just down to frame rates and refresh mismatches. Kind of a relief in a way. I guess it does show that 24/25/30 fps are terrible choices for rapid tracking or panning shots.

Out of interest, what refresh rate do you run at?
2021-11-20
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

Thanks for you reply.
I see this missing frame issue in every mavic 3 video. Sometimes it's less noticeable due to the direction of the movement.
I use refresh rate of 60 in my main screen. But I watched this on my smartphone and the result is the same.
So do you believe there is a problem with frames skipping in the m3 recording?
I can't use more than 25 fps if I want nice looking footage without slowing it down.

How did you watch it frame by frame? On yt?
2021-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Moshe.mmm Posted at 11-20 08:08
Thanks for your reply.
I always use shutter speed of a double the fps.
Its not a shutter problem.

Ok, that rules out the shutterspeed then.
The only reason I see for frame skipping would be the editor, but you said these were raw files (straight from the SD)
Or something in the writing process, but you would expect other issues too if that was the case.
2021-11-20
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 11:34
Ok, that rules out the shutterspeed then.
The only reason I see for frame skipping would be the editor, but you said these were raw files (straight from the SD)
Or something in the writing process, but you would expect other issues too if that was the case.

Yes, raw files. my card is a v30 card. shouldn't be any issue with it.
I saw the m2 footage and its the same. lagging' strobi.
I thinks there is a problem, how dji cameras rendering the video signal
2021-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Moshe.mmm Posted at 11-20 12:46
Yes, raw files. my card is a v30 card. shouldn't be any issue with it.
I saw the m2 footage and its the same. lagging' strobi.
I thinks there is a problem, how dji cameras rendering the video signal

Well I have to say I don't see this in my footage, only when I'm moving faster.
2021-11-20
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
France

All looks great !
2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Here’s my video, mine was recorded in 4k 50 FPS , I don’t notice anything similar in mine, but probably need to test other FPS options. One thing I did notice is your videos seem at much lower resolution than mine for some reason .https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=253677

2021-11-20
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Moshe.mmm Posted at 11-20 10:42
Thanks for you reply.
I see this missing frame issue in every mavic 3 video. Sometimes it's less noticeable due to the direction of the movement.
I use refresh rate of 60 in my main screen. But I watched this on my smartphone and the result is the same.

So in your editor you're targeting 25fps? If so you will get chunky pans, orbits and tracking shots unless you shoot at 50fps and blend frames. (That would depend on your NLE).

Hmm, I wonder what phones do about frame rates. Dunno

I was single stepping in the YT player, using <comma> and <period> keys.
2021-11-20
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Switching over to my PC, in both 60Hz and 50Hz refresh, it's as plain as day. 60fps on a 50Hz refresh looks slightly janky, just like 50fps on a 60Hz refresh display.

So basically, if you are targeting 25fps in your edits, shoot and play back at a multiple, 25 or 50Hz, or you'll get that slight skipping feeling. Try switching your display over to hard 50Hz and see what you think. BTW, the higher your display refresh rate, the less of an effect you'll see, due to the number of repeated frames that get displayed before the next frame gets shown. At 50Hz playback of 60fps footage, the cadence is:
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 ...   (frame 6 gets skipped)
150Hz playback of the 60fps will go something like:
1 1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 ...
This will appear much smoother to the eye.

I hope that makes sense.
2021-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules