Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Patrick_D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 834465 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey guys,

just did some tests with the Mavic 3 Cine trying to find out how to expose correctly with the 4/3" camera and if over- or under exposing could help to increase image quality.
Also took a look at the two ISO options ISO400 and ISO800.

Here is a link to the results:
https://picture-blvd.de/wp_hp/mavic3cine/

I also put them in the Vimeo Video description:
https://vimeo.com/648115718

Maybe that helps someone

Have all a great weekend.

Patrick
2021-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-11-21
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Great work, thanks. Must say I am a little dissapointed by the 4/3 sensor optimization...I do prefer to have a noise from sensor and not a noise resulted from a processed image in drone, as it can be easy corrected by Neat, still putting both this sensor and a camera with same settings in RAW, there is a huge difference...Maybe will be fixed later...or not...
2021-11-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice test and conclusions.    Thanks for sharing.
2021-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great test and end results are excellent, the iso 400/800 are part of using this sony sensor which is exceptional.
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for testing.
Any reason why that light bulb looked different in the -1.3 version?
2021-11-21
Use props
Patrick_D
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 06:49
Thanks for testing.
Hey M.,
Can you describe what difference exactly you mean?
2021-11-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 06:49
Thanks for testing.

To me, that one appears to be focused better. Sharper and more clear. Look at the clap board, the letters are more sharp.
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-21 15:42
To me, that one appears to be focused better. Sharper and more clear. Look at the clap board, the letters are more sharp.

The shape looks different.
2021-11-22
Use props
fansd17af852
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1590955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dude, what a great test!  The youtube world could learn much from you! I stumbled upon your post in the Mavic pilots forum while googling noisy prores.  When I first got my Cine it was noisy like everyone else.  Then, the new firmware came out and it seemed to mostly go away.  Then as of recent updates, I feel like it's back.  Have you noticed that at all? BTW. In case you don't check this forum, I posted this comment on your Vimeo account as well.

PS. Not sure what was most impressive, your concise test or your superior Scotch collection!

Robert
2022-9-27
Use props
Patrick_D
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

fansd17af852 Posted at 9-27 04:59
Dude, what a great test!  The youtube world could learn much from you! I stumbled upon your post in the Mavic pilots forum while googling noisy prores.  When I first got my Cine it was noisy like everyone else.  Then, the new firmware came out and it seemed to mostly go away.  Then as of recent updates, I feel like it's back.  Have you noticed that at all? BTW. In case you don't check this forum, I posted this comment on your Vimeo account as well.

PS. Not sure what was most impressive, your concise test or your superior Scotch collection!

Hey Robert, thank you very much for the warm words! Indeed the scotch selection was an interesting point on this test for several reasons

As you stated correctly the test is done with the old firmware and I did not manage to repeat it with the last one. Interesting point though that you say the new firmware starts to get noisier again. That would be an important thing to know as I present the low light capabilities of this drone pretty proudly. If you find out more keep us posted, towards winter I can then manage to do a new round of scotch and drone tests...
2022-9-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Patrick_D Posted at 9-29 06:15
Hey Robert, thank you very much for the warm words! Indeed the scotch selection was an interesting point on this test for several reasons

As you stated correctly the test is done with the old firmware and I did not manage to repeat it with the last one. Interesting point though that you say the new firmware starts to get noisier again. That would be an important thing to know as I present the low light capabilities of this drone pretty proudly. If you find out more keep us posted, towards winter I can then manage to do a new round of scotch and drone tests...

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for sharing this test and results. This is very interesting info on how the camera performs. I also find it that MM EV = 0 to be a sweet spot, with ND filters help . Wanted to ask you if you are sure overexposure warning does not work in D-Log, because I think with the latest firmware it does, it definitely works in HLG. Thank you for sharing this very important information on how the camera performs, I have not noticed yet blacks shifting towards red in HLG, but then again, I haven't done late evening / nigh shooting where it's low light and my ISO is usually 100 to 400 (in HLG).

Thank you, Mike.
2022-9-29
Use props
Patrick_D
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Mzp Posted at 9-29 06:54
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for sharing this test and results. This is very interesting info on how the camera performs. I also find it that MM EV = 0 to be a sweet spot, with ND filters help  . Wanted to ask you if you are sure overexposure warning does not work in D-Log, because I think with the latest firmware it does, it definitely works in HLG. Thank you for sharing this very important information on how the camera performs, I have not noticed yet blacks shifting towards red in HLG, but then again, I haven't done late evening / nigh shooting where it's low light and my ISO is usually 100 to 400 (in HLG).

Hey Mike. Thanks for adding your expertise. At this point I have to trust you, it might def. be that the new firmware adds some features I am not 100% sure of at the moment. Will keep that in mind for the next test. As soon as business gets a little calmer...But what I know: Still missing a Frameguide function! The Drone is called "Cine" but there is no option of adding film frame lines like 2,4:1 etc. to the monitor :/ hmmm....
2022-9-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Patrick_D Posted at 9-29 07:56
Hey Mike. Thanks for adding your expertise. At this point I have to trust you, it might def. be that the new firmware adds some features I am not 100% sure of at the moment. Will keep that in mind for the next test. As soon as business gets a little calmer...But what I know: Still missing a Frameguide function! The Drone is called "Cine" but there is no option of adding film frame lines like 2,4:1 etc. to the monitor :/ hmmm....

Sure, you are welcome Patrick. Imho in terms of frame guides the only lite feature available is cross hair /
grid, unfortunately not the aspect ratio like you mentioned.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-9-29
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Much appreciated for the tests.  I prefer to overexpose, which is why I pushed DJI to revert the histogram behavior back to the old way.  That way I can see how I'm exposing before the LUT is applied.  I do wish DJI would allow for a custom LUT and adjustable zebras in-app.  It would make it much easier to expose as we choose.
2022-9-29
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 9-29 06:54
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for sharing this test and results. This is very interesting info on how the camera performs. I also find it that MM EV = 0 to be a sweet spot, with ND filters help  . Wanted to ask you if you are sure overexposure warning does not work in D-Log, because I think with the latest firmware it does, it definitely works in HLG. Thank you for sharing this very important information on how the camera performs, I have not noticed yet blacks shifting towards red in HLG, but then again, I haven't done late evening / nigh shooting where it's low light and my ISO is usually 100 to 400 (in HLG).

Yep, the overexposure warning (zebras) work in D-Log now.  That was a big problem when I first bought the Mavic 3.  I returned it because it was just too far behind.
Now, with a 2nd purchase of the Mavic 3, I'm much happier.  But not fully satisfied.  I want custom LUTs and adjustable zebras.
Note, zebras only work when Color Display Assist (LUT) is applied.  And, the zebras seem to be at about 95% (rec.709).  I prefer zebras AT the clipping point, so I can expose as bright as possible without clipping.
2022-9-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

sky_makai Posted at 9-29 11:42
Yep, the overexposure warning (zebras) work in D-Log now.  That was a big problem when I first bought the Mavic 3.  I returned it because it was just too far behind.
Now, with a 2nd purchase of the Mavic 3, I'm much happier.  But not fully satisfied.  I want custom LUTs and adjustable zebras.
Note, zebras only work when Color Display Assist (LUT) is applied.  And, the zebras seem to be at about 95% (rec.709).  I prefer zebras AT the clipping point, so I can expose as bright as possible without clipping.

Hi Sky_makai,

I also noticed that overexposure warning is not exactly at the clipping point. I did not measure how far it is in the rec.709 color space, but I just go for slight overexposure knowing that it is not clipping yet, minor though. It would be nice to get the exact clipping point, I get white reflective surfaces trigger overexposure even though seeing in post they weren't clipping yet. Custom LUTs would be nice too, not sure if other DJI products support that maybe Inspire line to make it easier to replicate for them, but would be nice to have this feature.
+1 on both of your suggestions.

Take care, Mike.
2022-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules