Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why would forward OA stop working
465 16 2021-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Hi,
Was out flying yesterday and it blew about 10m/s or 36km/h when I got this message on the phone. I am not sure what caused this and have never seen it before. I have also never seen a picture of this and the large icon in the middle or the cause for this in the manual, unless I have just missede it some how. I assume it was caused by too much forward tilt when going home to land in RTH mode, but would like to learn the actual cuse. I was flying in P mode.Thanks.

Screenshot_20211120-154125_Video Player.jpg
2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kyalami. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro is on it's latest one and please try to fly your DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a different location and lighting to see if the issue will persist? Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-11-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi kyalami,

Flightlog will show how much your drone tilted down to achieve its speed.
More headwind is more tilting down, at certain point the forward sensor get out if its range to function normally (it looks toom down and less forward).

cheers
JJB

2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-21 20:50
Hello there kyalami. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro is on it's latest one and please try to fly your DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a different location and lighting to see if the issue will persist? Thank you and fly safe always.

Hi Stephen and thanks for your reply. All firmware is up to date. I have been flying this area probably about 200 times and have not had any problems. Its just that it was very windy that day. As I normally fly about 30-35m high the wind was OK, but as I have return to home  height set to 50m. So this happened on the RTH and it must have been much windier higher up that caused this to happen. Unfortunately, now it has become just too cold to fly -7 deg C this morning, so I can not check if this was just to the high wind speed. I will as JJB to have a look at my flight records later today. I looks like the angle (tilt) the drone had on its way home that may have caused this. Its just that I have not seen or read about that this could be the cause.
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-22 00:37
Hi kyalami,

Flightlog will show how much your drone tilted down to achieve its speed.

Hi JJB and thanks for your reply. I think you are right and will upload the flight record later today, as I am on my way out now and to pick up 2 spare batteries I have ordered from Swedrone here in Sweden. I am not too good at understanding the flight log, so I would appreciate your kind assistance on this one.
2021-11-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 11-22 02:02
Hi JJB and thanks for your reply. I think you are right and will upload the flight record later today, as I am on my way out now and to pick up 2 spare batteries I have ordered from Swedrone here in Sweden. I am not too good at understanding the flight log, so I would appreciate your kind assistance on this one.

no problem to help you.

see my 2 charts, flying my MINI2 with head and tail wind.

See the pitch of the mini, with wind almost zero, with head wind ( a lot) almost 40 degrees down!

cheers
JJB
Image 1.png
Image 2.png
2021-11-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the sensors were being confused by the sun. Try another flight with the drone not facing into the sun.
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-22 05:42
It wouldn't surprise me to find that the sensors were being confused by the sun. Try another flight with the drone not facing into the sun.

Yes that may be possible, although I was flying into the sun many times that day without any warnings. Only when I pressed RTH and the drone was almost home.
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-22 04:18
no problem to help you.

see my 2 charts, flying my MINI2 with head and tail wind.

Hi JJB, many thanks.
Yes I can see the almost 40 degree tilt. Did you get a warning at that time?
Here is the flight log. The error display was on RTH at the very end of the fight, just before landing.
Warning is at 15:17,9 min.I now also see that it happened several times without me notising this. So it was most likely when it went against the wind. I can now also see that the drone was facing the direction of the sun as well every time.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/01QXXUYIVCJMWJI9H971

Many thanks again for your help.
Tony

2021-11-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 11-22 06:29
Hi JJB, many thanks.
Yes I can see the almost 40 degree tilt. Did you get a warning at that time?
Here is the flight log. The error display was on RTH at the very end of the fight, just before landing.

Hi,

4 times a warning, if pitch down > 29 degrees the OA doesn`t work.

Interesting flight....  ;-)
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis1.png
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-22 07:07
Hi,

4 times a warning, if pitch down > 29 degrees the OA doesn`t work.

Hi,

Many thanks JJB.
I am still practising the sticks and have this empty field to try on where I live.
So is it the degree of pitch down more than 29 degrees that is causing the OA to stop working?
I will probably never fly in this high wind again. This was just the last sunny day this year before it got to -7 degrees. Next time I fly and I do not see this warning, I will know that it was the high wind that caused this warning. Thanks again for your help.
2021-11-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 11-22 07:27
Hi,

Many thanks JJB.

Never stop practising!  better than fly without knowing much about flying drones....
Add a chart previous post.

Guess yes, about 29 or 30 degrees, see the 4 pitch values in the added chart.

My flight with minus 40 degrees ; no OA warning!!  its a MINI 2......  ;-)

cheers
JJB
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-22 08:03
Never stop practising!  better than fly without knowing much about flying drones....
Add a chart previous post.

Thanks for the extra chart which make it quite clear what happened and the values. Much appreciated.
Now I will try to get DJI what actually made the warning about OA., if it was the pitch or the sun.
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-21 20:50
Hello there kyalami. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro is on it's latest one and please try to fly your DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a different location and lighting to see if the issue will persist? Thank you and fly safe always.

Hello Stephen.
Would you please be so kind and ask your experts to find out what actually cased the OA to stop working, as this is the very first time I have ever seen this. If it is the high pitch value, then I would know this for the next time if the wing is too strong or was it the sun that caused this, as I am unbale to find anything about this in the manual. It would also assist other dronies to be aware of this. Thank you very much. Tony
2021-11-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 11-22 08:22
Thanks for the extra chart which make it quite clear what happened and the values. Much appreciated.
Now I will try to get DJI what actually made the warning about OA., if it was the pitch or the sun.

Well...obvious i would say....

the warning =  "Excessive attitude angle detected; forward obstacle avoidance has stopped working"

cheers
JJB
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-22 09:20
Well...obvious i would say....

the warning =  "Excessive attitude angle detected; forward obstacle avoidance has stopped working"

Yes, you are right. Everything is now clear.
Also I looked again on the uploaded picture and now I see on the warning of excessive attitude at the top left a little icon with the markings of forward OA. So its clear that this caused the OA.
Thanks again for your help JJB.
2021-11-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Here is another example why I feel it would be nice to have a few beeps when warnings comes up on the screen in order to draw your attention to look at the screen. I missed the 3 first warnings, as I was concentrating on the drone, as I knew about the strong wind warnings from the screen, but did not see the first 3 warnings about the OA. Would it not be very easy to get a beep beep, which would draw your attention to the screen immediately. I am sure many would appreciate such a thing.
2021-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules