FINAL Word on Do-it-all Handel Data Transfer?
1626 7 2021-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zkn9ZOVmvNgP
lvl.1
United States

After testing over 15 different types of USB-C to A Type cables, still have not found one that can reliably and consistantly transfer files directly to the computer from the Do It All Handle for the Pocket 2. There are several blogs that state that this feature is not supported in the current firmware onwards:
https://gimballife.com/transfer-dji-pocket-2-video/

Yet there are some on this forum that have apparently got it to work with a specific Samsung cable or a specific combination of power - on keystrokes?
There is no specifics in the current user manual thats definitively states that data transfer is possible from the Do It All Handle and the current firmware ( 1.03 )
Can anyone from DJI officially clarify rather this feature supported or not?
If it is possible, How and more importantly, what exact cable should be used to make it work for both Mac and PC computers?
2021-11-21
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

If you have bought the combo which has DIA handle then the data transfer cable with dual head (USB-c) is already included in the box just use that cable, however do note that only 1 of the usb c port of that cable will actually let you detect the camera on PC/MAC to transfer the data.

I have not tried using any other cable but the main thing is that first camera hardware should be detected by PC/MAC then on camera screen you have to give permission by accepting the connection thereafter the files can be easily transferred.
2021-11-21
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I remember somebody at DJI recommending not to use the USB-C connector of the DIA handle for data transfer. Can't remember which thread it was though.
2021-11-22
Use props
djiuser_zkn9ZOVmvNgP
lvl.1
United States

I have both the creative combo and a pocket 2 by itself. The cable included in the creative combo ( 1 side marked with the 'data transfer' USB logo ) and 1 side for charging only, was the first cable I tried as well as confirming that all permissions were enabled. In this regard, the stand-alone pocket 2 has been the most consistent by far and connects every time with the factory installed firmware ( v1.02 )
This is what started the process of testing all the other cables as well. In ALL the tests so far, the one thing I have found is the older firmware that both units shipped with produces the most consistent data transfer. The Pocket 2 stand-alone direct to its USB-C connection and the creative combo kit through the Do-It-All Handle connection. When both units are upgraded to v1.03, the connection becomes MUCH more inconsistent, no matter the cable used. And I should say that this is on a MacBook 16" Intel with all USB-C  so Windows systems may be different. However, if the Do-It-All Handle is removed, the direct connection to the Pocket is consistent again,

The more tests I have done, the more this appears to be related to USB power management. With the Pocket 2 by itself, the connection appears to go straight to the micro Card and simply reads it like any external drive after it mounts. However, once the Do-It-All Handle is attached, there appears to be additional circuitry at play and the device starts drawing more power than the straight connection alone. This fools the computer into thinking It can't provide the required USB power and the connection terminates. This is AFTER all the Mac related USB power saving features have been disabled and the laptop is plugged into the mains.

To be clear, before the units firmware was upgraded in BOTH Pockets, the connection and transfer was MUCH more consistent and the standalone pocket had not trouble at all. A straight connection to the MacBook through a USB-C connector provides the most consistent connection and data transfer but, if a hub ( even a sufficient power rated supply USB3.0 hub ) is used, the connection will most likely fail. Once this occurs, the computer has to be restarted to reset it's USB power lanes back to default.

Obviously running everything into the Mac's limited supply of USB-C connectors is not always possible and the difference in behavior between the 2 different firmware's makes this issue even harder to troubleshoot. Anyone else out there that has a repeatable Mac based solution ( especially when connected to any kind of hub ) please chime in with your experience.
2021-11-22
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, do-it-all handle type-c port is not recommended for date transfer.
do-it-all handle has the ability,  but type-c wire and each individual hub and different OS is quite different for USB signal attenuation.

We did a lot tests, finding some type-c connection is not qualified.
That's why it is never acknowledged from the very beginning of product release.
2021-11-23
Use props
djiuser_zkn9ZOVmvNgP
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the clarification.
Understanding that the many different types of USB connections can be problematic, are there any combination of type-c connections that produced stable results into either Windows or Mac?
Meaning, using included USB-C cable ( Data End ) directly into computer bypassing all Hubs and converters?
This excerpt off the current website FAQ section for the Pocket2 makes it sounds as if data transmission from the USB-C is ( or at least 'was' ) possible at some point....

What is the USB-C port in the Do-It-All Handle for?
"The USB-C port is used to charge DJI Pocket 2 or transmit data."

2021-11-30
Use props
djiuser_zkn9ZOVmvNgP
lvl.1
United States

So after a considerable amount of more testing, ordering and receiving another Pocket 2 creator combo kit, I can confirm the following.
Both Combo kits arrived with the firmware V01.01.00.30.Both units were manufactured one month apart from each other in 2021. ( one in Feb, one in March )
When the units are activated ( via direct connection to the Mimo app the first time ) it will notify you to upgrade the firmware to the newest version v1.03.
On the first unit we activated and upgraded the firmware to the suggested v1.03 and immediately afterwards, lost the ability to transfer data through the USB-C connector of the Do It All Handle.  
On our 2nd Pocket 2 Combo kit we left the shipped installation firmware of v1.01.
On this unit we can reliably transfer data to the computer every time, consistently from the Do It All Handle (via the USB-C port )
So, this really boils down to which features are worth the most to you.

The additional features of the newest firmware v1.03 ( bug fixes, directional power up via dedicated buttons, and more ) or....
The ability to transfer files to the computer through the USB-C Port of the Do It All Handle?
For us, this was an easy choice as the file transfer is easily the most important feature as far as workflow is concerned. The ability to transfer without constantly removing the DIA Handle or removing the tiny micro SD Card and putting it into a card card reader is a huge time saver and allows us to instantly preview the footage on a full size screen and transfer the files quickly . You can, of course, always preview the footage on your phone ( via the WiFi connection ) as this is a wonderful feature and completely useful for most casual, on the go use cases.

As always,  YMMV

2021-12-3
Use props
shutterbug99
lvl.1
Sweden

I've just bought the DJI Pocket 2 realizing this issue and I find it really frustrating. I'm finding myself constantly mounting and dismounting the do-it-all handle in order to transfer my videos to my pc, especially now when learning it as it's a new device and I need to reference check the quality of my shots on my pc.

Besides the cumbersome physical fiddling I also think that having to switch handles many times a day will eventually wear out the connector and mount mechanism quite fast. I need to have the DIA-handle on all the time when I'm using it.

Reading through this thread leads me to believe that the earlier versions had the ability to transfer files with the DIA-handle connected, so if v1.02 worked in this regard, it seems to me like users are getting an infavourable trade-off by installing v1.03 which seems to have only minor updates.

I imagine most users including myself expect that the DIA-handle will only add features and not remove features. Surely it's not by intention to remove the ability to connect through USB with the DIA-handle on in the latest update?

I'm a software engineer myself and to me it looks like a bug snuck past QA in the latest update. If not, I'd really like to know the reasoning behind the removal of the feature.

If there's REALLY no way of addressing this issue, at least provide us users with an optional downgrade path. I'd rather have this workflow-crucial feature than trading it for the minor updates provided in v1.03 (optimized auto focus in low temperature and some minor bug fixes).

Please help.
2022-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules