Automatic collision avoidance
3002 6 2021-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

So I'm flying my drone off the Big Island of Hawaii and getting some good shots of surf, rugged volcanic coastline, and blue-green water when I get a Caution for traffic. I descend to about 5 meters over the water (just where I can see it above the horizon)  as I start to hear a helicopter approaching. The alert becomes a Warning. I see the helicopter approaching and it is 200-300 meters above the water and will pass directly over my drone. The alert becomes a Automatc Collision Avoidance (I think) repeated constantly until I land the drone and finally turn off the iPhone.  As this last alert triggers, I looked up to the helicopter and when I look back to the drone it's out of sight.  I immediately think maybe Automatic means the drone is trying to avoid the helicopter using built in software I'm unfamiliar with and since I can't see it I'm thinking it is descending into the ocean. I immediately give climb input trying to avoid splashdown and knowing the helicopter is way past and I'm no threat to it.  Still out of sight and with Automatic Collision Avoidance blaring, I point the drone to the RC symbol on the map and head home.  As previously noted, I land and turn off the drone, then the RC, and it's not until I unplug the phone and turn off the Fly app does the alert cease.  Now for my question:  What happens when Automatic Collision Avoidance triggers??? Is the drone programmed to fly some maneuver like perpendicular to the conflict aircraft's flight path???  If not, the last alert should probably be Maneuver to Avoid Conflict in my opinion.
2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Rustic17. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. For reference, the DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile application. In addition, I will post a DJI link where in you can read more about the DJI AirSense ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense ).  Thank you.

2021-11-21
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Yes, I know all you’ve posted.  But what does Automatic Collision Avoidance mean???  When I hear Automatic, it sounds like some action is taking place without my input.
2021-11-21
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

This is a great question.  Just had a similar occurrence and I also wonder what happens during an "Automatic Collision Avoidance".  When this happened to me, I received the proper manned aircraft warning so I decreased the altitude of my drone to about 100 feet.  The manned aircraft was easily 1,500 feet above my drone and I had the plane in sight.  Although there was clearly no danger of collision, my Mavic 3 went from a warning, fly with caution, into an automatic collision avoidance setting.  I had no idea what it drone was about to do that I had not already done.  I was able to fly the drone back to my home point and, like the OP, I could not stop the constant verbal announcement until I landed and rebooted the app.
It would be MOST helpful if DJI would fully explain what happens during an automatic collision avoidance.
2021-11-22
Use props
TroyP
New

Australia

This happened to me on the weekend and I would also like to know what's going on when this happens.
2022-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did anyone look at the replay of their flight in the app or via Phantomhelp etc. just to see if the drone moved in a way that reduced the 'risk'?
2022-1-4
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

I had a similar experience at a wedding, however my MA2 had already landed in a safe location.  As I did not want to get up and interfere with the wedding, the MA2 sat for about 15 minutes as I watched the aircraft fly overhead and it was tracked quite impressively in the display on the FlyApp .  Not sure a review of my logs would show any movement since the MA2 at the time was not even in take-off with the rotors spinning, it was just parked on the sidewalk with a link to the RC and Smart device.   However, after about 10 minutes after the aircraft had flown out of visual range and no longer appeared on the FlyApp display, the warnings did silence and go away without a shutdown of the system.  Perhaps they have a persistence timer before they allow the waring to go away, but since I was not in a flight mode when it occurred, perhaps the response and auto silencing of the alert is a bit different based on the state of flight at the time?      
2022-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules