Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hand Landing TIPS (ONLY IF YOUR CONFIDENT IN DOING IT)
3825 16 2021-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Edwin T
lvl.4
Flight distance : 567375 ft
Malaysia

Hey guys, I've flown a lot of my mini 2  with hand landing previously and wish to share it out with all of you about hand landing tips.

1. To make it precise in landing on your palm, go to settings and turn on the Gridlines. (either X or . would do)
2. Click on the remote fn button so that the camera shifts 90 degrees downwards. (Manual rotate also can)
3. Then align the dot or X in the middle of your palm, it will definitely land exactly on the palm.
4. Do note that the hands always open wide or flat while catching the drone, don't worry about the sensor as long as your hands stay flat and still.
5. Land it slowly and steady till it reach your palm. (Note : When the drone land till eye level, do make sure to readjust the camera again using fn)

That's it, and the rest its all about practice, practice and more practice .

2021-11-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, the camera, nor the + in live view or landing slowly has any effect whatsoever and here is why, once the Mini 2 gets to about foot in distance from your hand, it automatically takes over and lands itself in a slow manner.

One other thing, i myself would never recommend the Palm landing, the reason being is that there are a few variables that can go wrong thus causing a broken Mini 2 or worse, injury, The main one is wind, it just needs one rogue gust and ouch, another is a not so flat palm, or not level. Also, when using the palm, you have a lot more of your arm in play and the mini 2 is much closer to the head and body, ie nearer the props as opposed to using the pincer grip method. With the pincer grip, just your hand is in play as you're reaching up with an outstretched arm, (or at least it should be done that way to mitigate issues), the drone is away from the head and body at all times. Thats just my take on it is all
2021-11-21
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 11-21 20:13
Hi, the camera, nor the + in live view or landing slowly has any effect whatsoever and here is why, once the Mini 2 gets to about foot in distance from your hand, it automatically takes over and lands itself in a slow manner.

One other thing, i myself would never recommend the Palm landing, the reason being is that there are a few variables that can go wrong thus causing a broken Mini 2 or worse, injury, The main one is wind, it just needs one rogue gust and ouch, another is a not so flat palm, or not level. Also, when using the palm, you have a lot more of your arm in play and the mini 2 is much closer to the head and body, ie nearer the props as opposed to using the pincer grip method. With the pincer grip, just your hand is in play as you're reaching up with an outstretched arm, (or at least it should be done that way to mitigate issues), the drone is away from the head and body at all times. Thats just my take on it is all

Yes true, as mention in the title, only those that are confident in doing it, otherwise not recommended to land on palm.

As you said, one gust or wind will cause harm to yourself.
So the palm landing require skills.
It helps a lot to you if one can master it, suitable for tight space, area landing or even on boat somewhere.
Either Pincer or Palm open hands landing require practice
Practice makes perfect, as long as you don't stress the drone like flipping over it which shown on many videos to stop the motor, it will be fine.

The above I've share is if you wish precise landing or exact landing, when the camera tilt down 90 degress, that way you can see where the drone land, even sometimes RTH give wrong landing spot .
2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Edwin T. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that it DJI does not recommended hand catching your DJI drone or any DJI drone for safety purposes. Please do not stop the drone by hand, it could be dangerous and please land the said drone and stop the motors by sticks, or use the auto landing function if possible. Thank you for your kind understanding and have a nice day.
2021-11-21
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-21 22:16
Hello there Edwin T. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that it DJI does not recommended hand catching your DJI drone or any DJI drone for safety purposes. Please do not stop the drone by hand, it could be dangerous and please land the said drone and stop the motors by sticks, or use the auto landing function if possible. Thank you for your kind understanding and have a nice day.

Thanks for the reminder Stephen.
2021-11-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Edwin T Posted at 11-21 22:25
Thanks for the reminder Stephen.

Hi there Edwin T. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-11-24
Use props
Solidarity
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love landing my drone and taking off from my hand, I’ve done it on my mini 2 so far but have been hesitant with my Mavic 3 as there are a lot of sensors so the only way is to grab it from the hull sides but I like having five fingers on both hands well four finger technically but anyway thank you for the tips
2022-1-13
Use props
Norfolk Terrier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46493 ft
United Kingdom

I pincer grip on the land and give it a quick flip over to cut the motors.
2022-1-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The "flip" may stress the motors etc. ( gyroscopic effect etc. ). I would suggest that once the drone has landed in your hand you'd do better to hold your hand steady/still and hold the throttle closed until the motors stop. The motors should stop within 1 or 2 seconds to it landing. I suggest you keep the "flip'  for emergency stops only.
2022-1-13
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Your welcome pal
2022-1-13
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Solidarity Posted at 1-13 10:59
I love landing my drone and taking off from my hand, I’ve done it on my mini 2 so far but have been hesitant with my Mavic 3 as there are a lot of sensors so the only way is to grab it from the hull sides but I like having five fingers on both hands well four finger technically but anyway thank you for the tips

Yes, but do extra careful on landing the Mavic 3 on hand, due to its sensor and weight, one wrong step will hurt your finger from the propeller.
2022-1-13
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Norfolk Terrier Posted at 1-13 11:04
I pincer grip on the land and give it a quick flip over to cut the motors.

Not recommended my friend, flipping the drone can be use on emergency purpose only. Regularly do so will weaken the life span of your drone.
2022-1-13
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-13 11:10
The "flip" may stress the motors etc. ( gyroscopic effect etc. ). I would suggest that once the drone has landed in your hand you'd do better to hold your hand steady/still and hold the throttle closed until the motors stop. The motors should stop within 1 or 2 seconds to it landing. I suggest you keep the "flip'  for emergency stops only.

Exactly my friend, that's a good way to maintain the drone in good shape.
2022-1-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Norfolk Terrier Posted at 1-13 11:04
I pincer grip on the land and give it a quick flip over to cut the motors.

The pincer grip yes, the flip of the drone to kill the motors not so much due to the stress causes

Myself, i manually initiate landing, i.e. i hold up my hand in the pincer whilst holding fully down stick, the drone will rise as my hand moves closer to it, i want this to happen i want it to rise so that i know the drone sees my hands the aircraft thinks its the ground, keeping down stick fully down the drone will then descend slowly into my pincer grip, being mindful of any minor corrections needed by my hand if windy,  when its in the pincer grip, KEEP your hand very still (no change in height or other movements) and keep holding the stick down the motors will increase slightly then shut down, just keep the stick down till the motors stop, they will stop even though it might not seem it at 1st.
2022-1-13
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I got my finger clipped doing a hand catch after a short flight in the wind due to a gust with the Mavic Air 2.  Now I just get it to where I can walk over and grab it with one hand on the bottom to cover the sensors then use my thumb on the controller hand to to pull the stick vertical stick down which causes it to stop.

On the occasion I flew the Mini 2 I used a slightly cupped hand and pincer.  it was harder to land in your hand than Air 2 and get a hold of due to the smaller body and less clearance between the props.  The guy asked if could land it in my hand so I did.  No my preferred retrieval method.

2022-1-13
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's all about coordination. Focus on the grip, not the stick. I catch my drones on a rocking boat a lot.
2022-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules