Crossing
643 30 2021-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

There was some drama getting this footage but it was gotten in the end.

2021-11-22
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Quite brave to fly in the fog. But why is it making so much engine noise? Doesn't it the current for the crossing? We have a ferry like that the uses its angle in the river to be pushed forward.
2021-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not sure what the exact drama was, but I really like the footage.
Only the foggy part with the cables led me to hold my breath.....
That was scary!
Nice color grading!
2021-11-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting to see the ferry appear out of the murk like that. And nice footage when the fog had cleared.
2021-11-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That fog was quite something to fly into.
2021-11-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting footage.    Quite the foggy situation.
2021-11-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Depp Posted at 11-22 23:00
Quite brave to fly in the fog. But why is it making so much engine noise? Doesn't it the current for the crossing? We have a ferry like that the uses its angle in the river to be pushed forward.

Brave to fly in the fog or stupid, it might be a toss-up.

I think this river is too shallow to use the current. The channel it travels has to be dredged out every five or six years, so it doesn't have much room to work with. That's just a guess, though.  
2021-11-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 11-22 23:39
Not sure what the exact drama was, but I really like the footage.
Only the foggy part with the cables led me to hold my breath.....
That was scary!

Thanks, Montfrooij. I think I'm starting to get the hang of colour grading.

The drama began with me deciding to fly out over water in fog. I knew the potential hazard but took a chance. I just got the one shot when the downward sensor failed and I had to get back to shore and land ASAP. I barely got it back over the shore when either through a flyaway or my own confusion, it crashed. I coulnd't find it then but I went back in the afternoon and found it, still intact and ready to fly, so I used the three remaining batteries to get the rest of the footage. Piece of cake, really.

I did give myself a shock and came uncomfortably close to a cable when my attention wandered at one point. You can't let down your guard for a second.
2021-11-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 11-23 00:59
That fog was quite something to fly into.

If you meant "that fog was something stupid to fly into", I agree. I lucked out, barely.
2021-11-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-23 05:40
Very interesting footage.    Quite the foggy situation.

Thanks!
2021-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-23 08:58
Thanks, Montfrooij. I think I'm starting to get the hang of colour grading.

The drama began with me deciding to fly out over water in fog. I knew the potential hazard but took a chance. I just got the one shot when the downward sensor failed and I had to get back to shore and land ASAP. I barely got it back over the shore when either through a flyaway or my own confusion, it crashed. I coulnd't find it then but I went back in the afternoon and found it, still intact and ready to fly, so I used the three remaining batteries to get the rest of the footage. Piece of cake, really.

Oh wow.
Glad you got it back!
Fog and drones is always risky.
2021-11-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 11-22 23:57
Interesting to see the ferry appear out of the murk like that. And nice footage when the fog had cleared.

Thanks, Bleriot. Despite the troubles I had, I think the actual shooting turned out well. Something went right that day.
2021-11-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 11-23 13:27
Oh wow.
Glad you got it back!
Fog and drones is always risky.

Yeah, I was drunk with relief when I found it.

Fog and water and drones is even riskier.
2021-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-23 18:11
Yeah, I was drunk with relief when I found it.

Fog and water and drones is even riskier.

I totally get that.
Very true indeed
2021-11-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-23 17:53
Thanks, Bleriot. Despite the troubles I had, I think the actual shooting turned out well. Something went right that day.

Persistence pays Well done
2021-11-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-23 09:01
If you meant "that fog was something stupid to fly into", I agree. I lucked out, barely.

You certainly did.  
2021-11-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome.  
2021-11-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 11-23 23:53
Persistence pays  Well done

Luck pays, too.

The truth is, I decided when I bought this drone that I was going to fly it the way I wanted to which means a lot of flying over water, often just a few feet above, but I wouldn't call it reckless. I keep my eyes glued to the drone and at the first sign of it descending on its own, up it goes, and I haven't drowned it--yet--in three years. I knew the fog might cause a downward sensor failure but it didn't cause the crash. I was able to get the drone back to shore safely when something else made it go down. So the risks can be managed to an extent, and if I had the same chance tomorrow, I would very likely try it again.
2021-11-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-24 08:04
Luck pays, too.

The truth is, I decided when I bought this drone that I was going to fly it the way I wanted to which means a lot of flying over water, often just a few feet above, but I wouldn't call it reckless. I keep my eyes glued to the drone and at the first sign of it descending on its own, up it goes, and I haven't drowned it--yet--in three years. I knew the fog might cause a downward sensor failure but it didn't cause the crash. I was able to get the drone back to shore safely when something else made it go down. So the risks can be managed to an extent, and if I had the same chance tomorrow, I would very likely try it again.

I once dipped the landing legs of my old Phatom P4 into the waters of a stream, but at a hover, no forward speed. SO I was able to recover quickly with an upward zoom and no harm done. Phew!
2021-11-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 11-24 12:57
I once dipped the landing legs of my old Phatom P4 into the waters of a stream, but at a hover, no forward speed. SO I was able to recover quickly with an upward zoom and no harm done. Phew!

Those are scary but educational moments. I bet you were more careful after that.

My closest call was at the end of a shot just two or three feet over a pond. I had a brain glitch and pressed down instead of up but caught it just in time. In the video clip, the blades are really rippling the water. I was more careful after that educational moment.
2021-11-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-25 07:25
Those are scary but educational moments. I bet you were more careful after that.

My closest call was at the end of a shot just two or three feet over a pond. I had a brain glitch and pressed down instead of up but caught it just in time. In the video clip, the blades are really rippling the water. I was more careful after that educational moment.

For sure they teach you a lesson  
2021-11-25
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 11-25 08:31
For sure they teach you a lesson

2021-11-25
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4425230 ft
United States

the fog was cool
2021-11-27
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-23 09:01

I don't think it was stupid.  Gave great footage
2021-11-27
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

scubaAnn Posted at 11-27 10:12
I don't think it was stupid.  Gave great footage

Let's call it "risky".
2021-11-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Prairie Chicken. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video you have filmed. have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-11-28
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-28 21:27
Hello there Prairie Chicken. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video you have filmed. have a safe and a happy flying always.  .

2021-11-29
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
Mexico

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-27 15:30
Let's call it "risky".

That works...
2021-11-29
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

You were right, it really wasn't stupid. That's just me being hard on myself. If there's a next time, I'll keep it above the range of the downard sensors and see if that works. Still a risk but not really stupid. I hope.
2021-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Prairie Chicken. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-12-2
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

2021-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules