Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Question about Compatible Phone
430 15 2021-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KrowNB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 267703 ft
Canada

Hi

I'm getting a Mini 2 for Christmas.  My wife has already purchased it. So I've been lurking around trying find out what I can about this drone before I set it up.

I must say, I was taken aback when I saw all the posts about incompatible phones.  I thought I'd be safe with my Samsung S10e (S10 and S10+ are listed).  No go!! I downloaded and side installed the DJI Fly app and I got a parsing error! Imagine that! In this day and age!  You would think all newer phones would be compatible.

I think I may have lucked out in spite of this disappointment.  I have an old Samsung S7.  I downloaded the DJI Fly app again and it installed!  It seems to run fine.  So, does that mean that everything else will work when we get to the unboxing?  The phone has 32gb memory with very little installed on it.  After cleaning a few things off of it, it should leave me with about 15GB free on internal storage.  Right now it doesn't have an sd card but I can remedy that if need be.  

I'm wondering if that will be enough?  I've purchased Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 cards for the drone.  I don't have any idea at this point if there will be a lot of data transfer that will be saved to the phone while operating.  Is 32 GB enough?  Is this phone up to the task?  Do I need an external card in the phone?  If so, does it have to be V30 as well?

My S7 is not activated on any phone plan.  I can use it over wifi or tethered to my S10e when I'm not on wifi. Will I have to download other software to operate the Mini 2?  Can I expect other clitches?

I'm an old guy, nearing 70.  I've never owned or used any type of drone before.  I've seen comments on threads that people should have checked if their phone was compatible BEFORE buying the drone!!  Who would reasonably expect a newer phone would not work?  I'm amazed!  And a bit weary at this point.

K

2021-11-22
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was using an S6 until very recently, It worked on everything but the new Mavic 3. I now have an S9. My wife has the S10 and it works fine on it as well, so I don't understand why yours does not since the only difference is the screen dimensions and that should not matter. Perhaps try to download the app again, or install from the apk file.

And by the way, this drone requires a lot more capability than a typical app does. Just being newer does not mean the phone is capable. Many are not.

Data saved to the phone is not as large as to the drone's SD card by far.

2021-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there K. Good day and thank you for choosing DJI. It would be best to use a recommended mobile device when operating your DJI Mini 2 for compatibility and reliability on both the said DJI drone and for the DJI Fly application. For reference I will post a link where in you can find the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you and have a nice day.

https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads
2021-11-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dont upgrade to Android 12 if you have a choice,  Android 12 seems to break compatibility for most people.
2021-11-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-23 01:05
Dont upgrade to Android 12 if you have a choice,  Android 12 seems to break compatibility for most people.

Aw c'mon, I won't be able to help myself, then I will cry after...
2021-11-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 11-23 02:09
Aw c'mon, I won't be able to help myself, then I will cry after...

hahahaaha. Nice one Bashy.
2021-11-23
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 11-22 19:34
I was using an S6 until very recently, It worked on everything but the new Mavic 3. I now have an S9. My wife has the S10 and it works fine on it as well, so I don't understand why yours does not since the only difference is the screen dimensions and that should not matter. Perhaps try to download the app again, or install from the apk file.

And by the way, this drone requires a lot more capability than a typical app does. Just being newer does not mean the phone is capable. Many are not.

I tried downloading several times and then clicked to install from the apk file in my downloads directory. Is there any other way to do this?  I don't understand the S10 and S10+ being compatible but not my S10e.

Do you think my S7 as described is up to the task? Will it need an external card?
2021-11-23
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 11-23 01:05

My S10e had v Android 11. Still get a parsing error.
2021-11-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KrowNB Posted at 11-23 02:58
My S10e had v Android 11. Still get a parsing error.

Is the S10e much different than the S10 & S10+ which are supposed to be supported.
2021-11-23
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 11-23 03:31
Is the S10e much different than the S10 & S10+ which are supposed to be supported.

This link describes the differences between S10 and S10e. Mostly screen size, camera, type of fingerprint scanner.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/03/03/samsung-galaxy-s10-vs-galaxy-s10e-whats-the-difference-upgrade/?sh=5948a0362b38
2021-11-23
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Canada

So... I saw a post somewhere (forget where) that mentioned someone was using their Samsung 10e with DJI Fly.  I tried to load the app from DJI's download site onto my S10e again.  No go!  So I found a site that had older versions of the app and downloaded version 1.4.2.  I installed that and it loaded!!  Seems to be working but I don't get my drone until Christmas.

Now I'm wondering if it asks me to upgrade the version should I accept and try to get to the latest version that way or just refuse the upgrade.   Is there anything missing in the 1.4.2 version that's included in the new one?
2021-11-23
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Canada

So the 1.4.2 version prompted me to install an update.  I allowed it to do so.  I seems like everything went OK.  DJI Fly opens and no longer gives me the update prompt.  I tried to find a menu where I could confirm the version number but there doesn't appear to be any.  Can anyone advise me how I can tell which version is running on my phone now??
2021-11-23
Use props
Popeye1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 511722 ft

United Kingdom

KrowNB Posted at 11-23 14:05
So the 1.4.2 version prompted me to install an update.  I allowed it to do so.  I seems like everything went OK.  DJI Fly opens and no longer gives me the update prompt.  I tried to find a menu where I could confirm the version number but there doesn't appear to be any.  Can anyone advise me how I can tell which version is running on my phone now??

Go to profile then settings  scroll down you’ll find the version there.
2021-11-23
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Canada

Popeye1 Posted at 11-23 14:22
Go to profile then settings  scroll down you’ll find the version there.[view_image]

Thanks!  It did the upgrade to 1.5.1 (1980-official)!  So it wouldn't install directly but did as an upgrade from 1.4.2.  Maybe this thread will help others having the same issue.
2021-11-23
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

KrowNB Posted at 11-23 02:56
I tried downloading several times and then clicked to install from the apk file in my downloads directory. Is there any other way to do this?  I don't understand the S10 and S10+ being compatible but not my S10e.

Do you think my S7 as described is up to the task? Will it need an external card?

The S7 should work but that has a relatively dim screen compared to the S10. Good to hear that you got it working.
2021-11-23
Use props
djiuser_qJh6b0r1W0Hc
New

Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-22 20:40
Hello there K. Good day and thank you for choosing DJI. It would be best to use a recommended mobile device when operating your DJI Mini 2 for compatibility and reliability on both the said DJI drone and for the DJI Fly application. For reference I will post a link where in you can find the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you and have a nice day.

https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads

Any idea if they're working on compatibility with the pixel 6 pro? It's really disheartening bringing home something I was super excited to use only to find out that my phone isn't compatible.
2021-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules