Automatic Collision Avoidance - what is it?
2868 12 2021-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

I was wonder what happens during an "Automatic Collision Avoidance" event.  This is what happened: while flying over a large marsh, I received a proper manned aircraft warning.  As a result, I decreased the altitude of my drone to about 100 feet and began to hover.  The manned aircraft was coming from my right on his final approach to a local airport but at that point he was easily 1,500 feet above my drone.  I had a clear view of the general avaition jet and there was absolutely no possibility of a collision, all was well.  Although there was no danger of collision, my Mavic 3 went from giving a warning, fly with caution, into a collision avoidance mode were I kept getting a repeated verbal announcement of automatic collision avoidance or something very similar.  I had no idea what the drone was about to do that I had not already done.  I was in a panic and thought maybe the drone was about to descend on its' own into the wet marsh.  I was able to fly the drone back to my home point but I could not stop the constant verbal announcement until I landed and rebooted the app and drone.  Because of the unexpected nature of this occurance and the panic of possibably having the drone descend to the marsh without control, I really don't remember what actions the software took.
Does anyone know what the drone does when it goes into this automatic collision avoidance mode other than give the constant verbal announcement?  

2021-11-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Virgil Quick. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. For reference, the DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile application. In addition, I will post a DJI link where in you can read more about the DJI AirSense ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense ).  Thank you.
2021-11-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not experienced that although I have had two airsense warnings. Might be yet another bug in this "unfinished" firmware.

Perhaps posting the flight log may tell us more.

2021-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That sounds like its leftover since war times hehe, “some kind of bug .
2021-11-24
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

It might be worth throwing the flight log up onto https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
You can then a) look at the sequence of events and b) post a link if you want to discuss anything.
2021-11-24
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

DJI Stephen,  thanks for taking time to reply to my post.  I am aware that AirSense alerts the pilot of approaching aircraft but in the incident I described the drone went from a warning to another mode called automatic collision avoidance.  During this mode I continued to get an announcement of this condition which couldn't be stopped without a reboot of the aircraft, the controller and the app.  I want to know what, during an automatic collision avoidance situation, the drone is doing other than the verbal announcement.  Is the AirSense software taking control of the drone in some way?
2021-11-24
Use props
Fernado
lvl.2

Portugal

I had a couple of times ADS-B warnings before due to commercial jets when flying in authorized zones parallel to a main landing strip. However, up to now, there was a single warning, reporting the distance and altitude, but they were far enough for not being a problem -- well, in fact there is a small nuisance during these short alarms, since the map zooms out to show the relative jet position and I loose the relative position of the drone, since the the Home point icon and the drone arrow appear one over the other, unless the drone is quite far from me.  

But yesterday  I got the first “Automatic avoidance” alarm from ADS-B when flying in a scenic area where there were some small planes flying at low altitude. I must say that it is a great feature to know the location and altitude of nearby planes. They were at an altitude of about 240m, I was at about 100m (but my home altitude was about 60m, so the drone was possibly at 160m...), and I lowered considerably anyway. And in fact it is rather stressful not knowing what kind of "automatic avoidance" is happening. The automatic avoidance itself is possibly a great feature, if it works, but it would be better if the pilot knows what is happening. I confess that I did not notice any uncontrolled behavior, but I was also quite stressed by the possibility of the drone decide to land (over water, in my case...).

The only problem, as reported by the OP in this thread, is that DJI fly keeps repeating for ever“Automatic avoidance” after the first report, even after the said small planes disappeared from the area.

Only after landing and closing and reopen the DJI fly I was able  to reset this annoying alarm. Note that I have DJI fly and firmware up to date, so 5 months since the original report the issue persists. I am flying an Air 2S with DJI Fly 1.5.10. and IOS 15.4.1, and I have all firmware updates applied.
2022-4-25
Use props
FishDawg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276936 ft
United States

I also experienced this strange (and apparently undocumented) mode today. It's the same story as others. An airplane flew over my drone, although we were quite safe as my drone was not far off the ground and the plane was way up high.

As far as I could tell, the drone was not doing anything automatically despite the voice was saying so. I'd like to know what this "automatic avoidance" mode is and what it does.

It is annoying that there seems to be no way to turn off the voice without landing and rebooting the app.
2022-5-14
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am also interested to know more about this. I don't like the idea that the drone may suddenly start descending and perhaps against my own control.

Can see this potentially causing alternate risks if flown in certain areas with OA turned off.

Does DJI not have some kind of document explaining the process it will take, what the overrides are and what the trigger points are?
2022-5-15
Use props
BladeZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1111969 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t think airsense has been working for me for a couple of months now. I haven’t received any alerts and there are plenty of aircraft in my area.
2022-5-15
Use props
djiuser_Ie8m9cN5qIMT
New
Flight distance : 1321115 ft
United States

Had this happen to me today as well. Still no word from DJI on WHAT this even does…if anything ??? We need to know if the drone can possibly take evasive maneuvers……..
2022-7-17
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_Ie8m9cN5qIMT Posted at 7-17 13:40
Had this happen to me today as well. Still no word from DJI on WHAT this even does…if anything ??? We need to know if the drone can possibly take evasive maneuvers……..

I read the article on Air Sense that was written by DJI and the aircraft never takes over control. Just a strong verbal warning to make you do what you did.
2022-7-17
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

djiuser_Ie8m9cN5qIMT Posted at 7-17 13:40
Had this happen to me today as well. Still no word from DJI on WHAT this even does…if anything ??? We need to know if the drone can possibly take evasive maneuvers……..

Have you took a look to your logs and flight replay and analyze it?
2022-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules